PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking iPhone 3G

remigi
31st October 2008, 04:09 PM
Hey Guys,

Question, is it worth jailbreaking the iPhone 3G? Reason i ask is because there have been many situations where i have wished i had MMS and also Video recording capibilities so now im tempted...

Is it safe?

How many ppl have done it?

When the next firmware update from apple comes out do i just hit update in itunes without having to do a restore and losing everything? (ie. because the previous backup would have been of the jailbroken iPhone, once the new apple update is installed and it tires to restore from the jailbroken backup will it screw the phone?)

When i jailbreak will i lose everything or is it just like a firmware update where it restores from the backup?

Thanks

matthew858
31st October 2008, 04:27 PM
I did jailbreak my phone, but after 2 hours and 3 phone crashes, I re-viginised it and went on with life.

wabbit
31st October 2008, 05:00 PM
I can see the point of doing it, heaps of applications n the likes that aren't allowed from the App Store. For me i need my phone working 24/7. From what I've read (and the post above) Jailbreaking just doesn't seem to stable at this point.

mkyr
31st October 2008, 05:13 PM
Its worth it for PdaNet and WinterBoard.

Edd
31st October 2008, 05:21 PM
+1 for PdaNet. Here is My thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/59679-time-jailbreak.html) where I asked some questions before jailbreaking. It was all sweet and I'm loving it now. :)

Edit: Oh btw, mine hasn't crashed since being jailbroken, or at least not anymore than it used to - Safari always crashed with more than about 4 windows open, but the point is, jailbreaking hasn't screwed anything up.

vargz
31st October 2008, 09:19 PM
Until I have a need (eg an app that I can't acquire reasonably from the App store), then I'm not compelled to jaibreak.

dathnoth
31st October 2008, 10:15 PM
i jailbroke twice. went back to legitimate 2.1 version twice. nuff said

themessup
31st October 2008, 10:30 PM
Jailbroke mine for a day and got sick of it. Laggy and i don't need what it offers.

twadds
1st November 2008, 01:05 AM
I've always had my iphones jailbroken (older version and 3G), haven't regretted it one bit. It opens up more functionality and hackability, no dramas ever. It is so easy to do nowadays too, not like the early days of the original iphone, that was risky, but I needed to do it to get the iPhone to work in Aus. I suppose these early experiences have given me confidence to jailbreak my iPhone 3G which albeit doesn't require jailbreaking to work in Aus.

If you don't want to customise or hack etc, or even get cracked free apps working on your phone then there is no reason to jailbreak.

Huy
1st November 2008, 01:06 AM
No I haven't because i see no point.

I don't even use the App Store that often.

twadds
1st November 2008, 01:15 AM
Surely you are using some of the great apps though?

Huy
1st November 2008, 01:16 AM
I'm an insane person. 0 apps. I don't even use the WiFi. It's just my $800 phone that integrates nicely with Address Book and iCal events. It is also a fantastic SMSing phone, camera, calculator and alarm clock. None of these features are particularly unique, but I like that it is in one phone. The 'Notes' app is also handy for jotting down things. :eek:

I guess you can call it my PDA.

reemixx knows the score. :D

vargz
1st November 2008, 07:28 AM
I'm an insane person. 0 apps.

You're an insane person :p

The AppStore has opened up another level of functionality/usefulness of the iPhone - more ways of integrating the iPhone into our lifes, whether for work and play. I can guarantee there is something out there which you will find useful or entertaining. Cydia take it up another notch, providing the things Apple won't and opening up the platform to geeks.

But I guess you don't need that and you are happy with what the iPhone does for you, as it is :)

NathR32
1st November 2008, 08:13 AM
I have always jailbroken my iPhones and have not had any problems at all. Theming and extra functionality are the main reasons I do it.
I find it just as stable as an un-jailbroken iPhone.

remigi
12th November 2008, 11:21 PM
I understand you get installer on it... what about the original app store.. does that stay on there and can you continue to use it?

Also hypothetical situation, Every time you plug in the iPhone it does a backup and overwrites the last file.... what happens when u plug your phone in and new software comes out... so then you update your iphone through iTunes... it updates all ok and then itunes starts doing a restore to put all your SMSís, photos, and other info back on the phone but the backup file it uses is one it made when your phone was jail broken so it loads that on to the iphone that isnít jail broken and then the thing is bricked because of the inconsistencies in the files... no?

Does jailbreaking alter any of the files used in the backup process?
Does the backup include database and OS files that could potentially cause this problem?

Thanks

Remigi

jeremy_warnock
13th November 2008, 12:49 AM
I jailbroke mine but I dont like - you didnt have that option in the poll.

I did it so I can edit the VPN plist setting to include a proxy server,but since then the phone crashes and lags. I dont have any jailbroken apps except open ssh. A jailbroken iphone makes uncy woz cry, and shit me to tears

remigi
21st November 2008, 11:04 AM
anyone know an answer to this question i posted? its the only thing stopping me from jailbreaking..

"Also hypothetical situation, Every time you plug in the iPhone it does a backup and overwrites the last file.... what happens when u plug your phone in and new software comes out... so then you update your iphone through iTunes... it updates all ok and then itunes starts doing a restore to put all your SMSís, photos, and other info back on the phone but the backup file it uses is one it made when your phone was jail broken so it loads that on to the iphone that isnít jail broken and then the thing is bricked because of the inconsistencies in the files... no?

Does jailbreaking alter any of the files used in the backup process?
Does the backup include database and OS files that could potentially cause this problem?

Thanks

Remigi"

mitty
21st November 2008, 11:13 AM
Mine's been jailbroken since the first quickpwn became available. It's had both positives and negatives but I'm still jailbroken.

The main reasons I did are:

a) operator logo... eyecandy only but looks cool
b) wifi toggle... this is a must have IMHO.
c) ability to customise SMS/Email alert/Calendar Alert tones.
These are the only reasons I would want to jailbreak my phone.

Naturally when I jailbroke however, I insisted on fiddling and installing other stuff. Even though they do work to some degree, I found both Backgrounder and Winterboard to be buggy and to cause the phone to lag and crash. I've now uninstalled both of them, so the functionality mentioned above is the only things on my phone I got via JB functionality. When 2.2 comes out, I'm going to:

a) restore my phone completely
b) jailbreak via quickpwn (installing cydia only... i find absolutely no need for installer)
c) install wifi toggle, operator logo, and update my alert tones.

If Apple would implement all of those options (which lets face it, the phone should have by default anyway, except maybe for operator logo) I wouldn't bother jailbreaking.

remigi
21st November 2008, 11:59 AM
so if i want just to install Swirly MMS and have Custom SMS tones what do i need to install? do i need installer or just Cydia?

Also you say you will restore ur phone completly.. does that mean you will restore and lose all your SMS's etc.. or will you restore via iTunes and then restore from the backup?

Because what im concerned about as i said above is that when you jailbreak it modifies the files and so when itunes backs-up the iphone it will backup the modified files and so therefore when you update to new apple software and the update is complete it will restore the last backup (which would have been done when it was jailbroken) and so it puts the *jailbroken backed up files* onto a *non jailbroken* iphone and therefore causes it to be corrupt? am i right?

or does jailbreaking NOT affect any of the files that itunes backs up

ziggotron
21st November 2008, 01:05 PM
QuickPwn makes it quick and painless. No downfall from JailBreaking and I've never experienced any 'lag'. Opens up more functionality to the phone, video recorder for example, themes if you like them or if for some reason you can't open an iTS account to purchase apps you can get apps from different sources.

Edd
21st November 2008, 02:47 PM
Apple should allow PDANet and put a 'video' tab in the camera app. Then I'd have no reason to jailbreak.

mitty
21st November 2008, 03:05 PM
Suggestion for those whom are jailbroken and are worried about restoring a backup from when your phone was jailbroken if you want to do a full restore:

a) do the update when prompted by itunes. Don't restore yet.
b) once the update is complete, your phone will no longer be jailbroken.
c) do a backup.
d) do a restore.
e) restore the backup
f) jailbreak once quickpwn 2.2 comes out.

Joila. At least, that's my theory anyway.

remigi
21st November 2008, 05:41 PM
Suggestion for those whom are jailbroken and are worried about restoring a backup from when your phone was jailbroken if you want to do a full restore:

a) do the update when prompted by itunes. Don't restore yet.
b) once the update is complete, your phone will no longer be jailbroken.
c) do a backup.
d) do a restore.
e) restore the backup
f) jailbreak once quickpwn 2.2 comes out.

Joila. At least, that's my theory anyway.

hmm.. but with this way does all your data go back on, ie SMS... Contacts.. Apps etc..

remigi
23rd November 2008, 03:50 PM
ok so now that the new 2.2 Quickpwn is out.. has anyone tested my problem? does the restore still work and do you get ur sms's back or is it a FULL restore everytime you upgrade and so u loose everything?

remigi
23rd November 2008, 07:19 PM
Ok I have just jailbroken but im confused now....

All i want to install is SwirlyMMS and Custom SMS tones...

What do i use, cydia or installer? ive tried opening installer nothing came up so i decided to install cydia and use that... but which one am i meant to use

Also i just installed Swirly MMS via cydia.. it opens and then loads the icons down the bottom and crashes and closes again??