PDA

View Full Version : Networking help required for n00b

jacke
28th October 2008, 09:18 AM
I am a computer gimp so please keep any advice simple:)

I would like to set up a home network.

I have:

2Wire Gateway ADSL Wifi modem router thingy (supplied by telsta) 2701HGV-W,
MacBook,
HP Laptop on Vista,
Dell desktop on XP,
Canon Pixma MP510 printer usually plugged into vista laptop

I would like to be able to share files across all 3 computers.

I would also like to print/scan from all 3 computers. Is it possible to hook the printer up to the router or does it need to be conected to a computer.

I have no idea what I am doing:confused:

Preferably someone would be able to point me to a simple walk through solution:)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jack.

Currawong
28th October 2008, 10:42 AM
I wrote this up which you might find useful:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/42765-how-share-files-between-mac-os-x-leopard-vista.html

:)

jubilantjeremy
28th October 2008, 11:17 AM
I would also like to print/scan from all 3 computers. Is it possible to hook the printer up to the router or does it need to be conected to a computer.

Nope, it has to be connected to a computer. You can share the printer from this computer, and print from other computers, but you cannot share the scanner.

Jeremy

jacke
28th October 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys, I'll use that info, pity about not being able to share a scanner, but I'll get over it.

This is where I'm at:
Vista machine: can see Mac and XP and open and use files from both,
MacBook: can see XP and open and use files, can't see Vista,
XP machine: can't see Mac or Vista.

drewbles
28th October 2008, 12:02 PM
Nope, it has to be connected to a computer. You can share the printer from this computer, and print from other computers, but you cannot share the scanner.

Jeremy

It really depends on your router. Some do have USB ports that enable HDD/Printer sharing (like the Apple Airport Express/Extreme AP's).

Scanners can't be shared as a rule, however, you can just share the scans to a central location :)

cmrn
28th October 2008, 12:08 PM
Also, some printers have Ethernet ports to connect directly to the LAN, then all the computers would access it without a computer attached via USB, however the scanner still wouldn't work.

drewbles
28th October 2008, 12:12 PM
Also, some printers have Ethernet ports to connect directly to the LAN, then all the computers would access it without a computer attached via USB, however the scanner still wouldn't work.

True, but not the Pixma MP510 which is what the OP has:)

craigc
28th October 2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, I'll use that info, pity about not being able to share a scanner, but I'll get over it.

This is where I'm at:
Vista machine: can see Mac and XP and open and use files from both,
MacBook: can see XP and open and use files, can't see Vista,
XP machine: can't see Mac or Vista.

I think it might help you if you read my post from Sunday, particularly the observations I made in my second last post.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/16/60830-networking-issue-please-help.html

I have concluded that the only way that I can connect to VISTA from my Mac is if I choose Connect to Server in Finder - unless I turn on my Vista Machine after I turn on my XP machine.

This seems crazy I know. I spent heaps of time trying to work this out.

cmrn
28th October 2008, 12:19 PM
True, but not the Pixma MP510 which is what the OP has:)

Thats why I said "some printers". I said it so the OP knows if he/she is ever shopping for a new printer :p

jacke
28th October 2008, 12:29 PM
I have concluded that the only way that I can connect to VISTA from my Mac is if I choose Connect to Server in Finder - unless I turn on my Vista Machine after I turn on my XP machine.

This seems crazy I know. I spent heaps of time trying to work this out.
I have tried this and I get this pop up
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x200/jackxr6/Picture1-3.png
I don't know which user name and password it wants.
I have tried my MacBook user name and password but that doesn't work.
I have entered the vista machine user name with no password as it doesn't have one, that doesn't work either.

jacke
28th October 2008, 12:31 PM
Regarding the printer, thanks guys, I will just plug it into the xp machine as that is always on, it is my media centre plugged into my lcd tv.

MacFanBoy
28th October 2008, 12:31 PM
Read this article it may help

How Do I Print Wirelessly From My PC On a Mac Home Network :: My First Mac - Help Buying and Getting Started with Your New Mac (http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/how-do-i-print-wirelessly-from-my-pc-on-a-mac-home-network/)

craigc
28th October 2008, 01:38 PM
I have tried this and I get this pop up
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x200/jackxr6/Picture1-3.png
I don't know which user name and password it wants.
I have tried my MacBook user name and password but that doesn't work.
I have entered the vista machine user name with no password as it doesn't have one, that doesn't work either.

If I recall, I think I had trouble with this until I actually setup a password for the VISTA Account. Once I did this, I think it work straight away once I entered the password when requested by the Mac.

The fact that you are getting this message shows that it can see the VISTA machine.

jacke
28th October 2008, 02:55 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x200/jackxr6/Picture1-4.png
I am now seeing this in the finder sidebar.

jackandbrii is the XP desktop which I can now access via the MacBook.

brii-laptop is the vista lapop. I cannot access this. When I "Connect to server", it doesn't matter if I put my Mac user name and password or the vista user name and password, it says I have entered the wrong password.

So at this stage:
XP machine - cannot see vista or Mac
Vista machine - can see and access both xp and Mac
Mac - can see vista and xp, can access xp, cannot access vista.

craigc
28th October 2008, 04:18 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x200/jackxr6/Picture1-4.png
I am now seeing this in the finder sidebar.

jackandbrii is the XP desktop which I can now access via the MacBook.

brii-laptop is the vista lapop. I cannot access this. When I "Connect to server", it doesn't matter if I put my Mac user name and password or the vista user name and password, it says I have entered the wrong password.

So at this stage:
XP machine - cannot see vista or Mac
Vista machine - can see and access both xp and Mac
Mac - can see vista and xp, can access xp, cannot access vista.

I am surprised that the XP machine is having trouble seeing Vista or Mac. My XP machine was the one I had least issues with.

It is good to see that XP and Vista are showing up automatically under Shared. I have found this really flaky on my system, with the Vista machine only appearing if I turn on XP first - GO FIGURE!

Here are some articles that I found useful in working on my system. It may be worth going back to scratch to make sure you have covered the basics.

File Sharing OS X 10.5 to Windows XP - Mapping Network Shares (http://macs.about.com/od/macwindows/ss/sharemacfilesxp_7.htm)

InformIT: How to Network Vista and XP Computers Together > How to Network Vista and XP Computers Together (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037)

Good Luck.

craigc
28th October 2008, 04:21 PM
Just one other thing. On the Vista machine have you turned on File Sharing in the Network and Sharing Center.

jacke
28th October 2008, 04:33 PM
vista and xp don't show automatically on the Mac, I have to connect to server.

I have vista file sharing on, but had to turn password off.

I do have Trend anti virus on the windoze machines so it may be a firewall issue, but I cant figure out how to allow sharing in Trend.

Remember, I am a computer gimp.

jacke
28th October 2008, 04:39 PM
Craig,

When you connect to your windoze machines do you have to mount drives?

I have to do this and if you have a few shared drives it sticks them all over the desktop, which is ugly and disorganised.

I would really like itif the 2 windoze machines would just be visible in the finder sidebar and I could access them from there, is this possible, how does it work on your setup?

craigc
28th October 2008, 04:57 PM
Craig,

When you connect to your windoze machines do you have to mount drives?

I have to do this and if you have a few shared drives it sticks them all over the desktop, which is ugly and disorganised.

I would really like itif the 2 windoze machines would just be visible in the finder sidebar and I could access them from there, is this possible, how does it work on your setup?

That isn't a problem, just go into the Finder Preferences and under the General Tab, deselect Connected server under 'Show these items on the Desktop'.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Vista machines only show-up in 'Shared' in the Finder if I turn on my XP machine before my VISTA machine. Otherwise I have to mount them.

I really hope there is a day when I can go all Mac, so I don't have to worry about these issues. It has really been sending me crazy trying to sort out these issues. I have been doing lots of research on the Web, and there are many people that have problems with this.

jacke
28th October 2008, 06:13 PM
That isn't a problem, just go into the Finder Preferences and under the General Tab, deselect Connected server under 'Show these items on the Desktop'..
That works, cheers.

I am now able to connect to xp and vista via Finder-Go-Connect to Server, but I would rather if they just connected automatically.

Vista is the surprising one, it automatically sees xp and my Mac:eek:

XP is where it all gets bad, I cannot access my Mac or vista from the xp machine.

I haven't tried the printer yet, that may be tomorrows job.

Thanks for your help so far guys:thumbup:

grfxninja
28th October 2008, 06:29 PM
Just a thought…
Make sure that all the computers are on the same "workgroup".
I found that when I changed the workgroup on all the computers so they were the same, any computers that were in the house or office would automatically show up in the side bar.

As I said, it may not help, but could be worth a try.

To access the workgroup preference on OS X, go into the system preferences, Network > Choose the network you are using (Airport, Ethernet etc.), then click the "Advanced" button.
There should be a "WINS" tab, click that and you should see the following:

http://img.skitch.com/20081028-jsdex5xy19w5wa7uma1148yuxk.preview.jpg

Enter a workgroup name and click OK.

Now make sure that it is the same on both the XP and Vista machines. You'll need to google for how to do that on Windows though because I can't remember how it's done.

Hope it helps

EDIT: Should just mention that the above instructions are for Leopard - I am pretty sure Tiger is a different process

Cheers

craigc
28th October 2008, 07:41 PM
That works, cheers.

I am now able to connect to xp and vista via Finder-Go-Connect to Server, but I would rather if they just connected automatically.

Vista is the surprising one, it automatically sees xp and my Mac:eek:

XP is where it all gets bad, I cannot access my Mac or vista from the xp machine.

I haven't tried the printer yet, that may be tomorrows job.

Thanks for your help so far guys:thumbup:

Out of curiosity, what solved your problem of connecting to Vista from your Mac.

I am not even going to try to printer share via my Vista or XP machine I have order a Netcomm Print Sever for this.

jacke
28th October 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not really sure:confused:

Pretty sure it was a combination of things, enabling a password on the vista account got it working, but then I lost it again.

I then changed to password protected sharing "off" in vista and it worked again.

Mac and vista are working now but none of my machines have been switched off.

I think for printing I will just save to the vista machine and print from that.

jacke
28th October 2008, 11:40 PM
Still no good.

Closed the lid on my MacBook for half an hour, when I opened it there was a "server interrupted" window which listed all the shared folder of my windoze pc's.

I had to reconnect to the vista and xp machines via Go, Connect to Server.

This shouldn't be that hard:thumbdn:

decryption
28th October 2008, 11:57 PM
Still no good.

Closed the lid on my MacBook for half an hour, when I opened it there was a "server interrupted" window which listed all the shared folder of my windoze pc's.

That's because you put your computer to sleep. When it wakes up, it picks up where it left off (a lost connection) as you put it to sleep.

craigc
29th October 2008, 07:49 AM
Still no good.

I bet that they would reappear automatically under Shared if you did the following:
- Turn off the XP and VISTA machines.
- Turn on the XP machine first, and wait to it is fully started.
- Turn on the VISTA machine.
- Put your Mac to sleep and wake it back up.

They should reappear under Shared, and stay there until you reboot the Mac.

It may also help if you touch your left ear with your right hand, and circle your left foot in the air while singing humpty dumpty.

It is funny, I am spending lots of time on sorting out the networking issues but when I think about it, I really don't have much of a need to have them networked.

I just hope that I can get my Netcomm Print Server working as wireless printing is important.

jacke
29th October 2008, 10:22 AM
That's because you put your computer to sleep. When it wakes up, it picks up where it left off (a lost connection) as you put it to sleep.
I don't have to do that on the vista machine, is vista better than OSX in this case:confused:

Surely not:eek:

craigc
29th October 2008, 11:21 AM
I don't have to do that on the vista machine, is vista better than OSX in this case:confused:

Surely not:eek:

If it was automatically showing up under Shared in OSX, this wouldn't be an issue, as you could connect to it when your like.

jacke
29th October 2008, 12:15 PM
They do show up automatically as shared, it just takes a while.

Is it possible to automate the connection when they are available only?

The xp machine never gets turned off, the vista one does, or it sleeps.

I don't really have a great need for wireless networking either but I didn't think it would be such a joke.

I think I'll give up on the shared printer idea. I may try the bonjour for windoze and see if that's better, but I am at my download limit for the month so will have to wait a few days.

craigc
29th October 2008, 12:32 PM
They do show up automatically as shared, it just takes a while.

Is it possible to automate the connection when they are available only?

The xp machine never gets turned off, the vista one does, or it sleeps.

I don't really have a great need for wireless networking either but I didn't think it would be such a joke.

I think I'll give up on the shared printer idea. I may try the bonjour for windoze and see if that's better, but I am at my download limit for the month so will have to wait a few days.

My Vista machines never shows up automatically unless I have first turned on my XP machine. If you turn off both XP and Vista and only turn on Vista does it show up automatically under Shared.

I am not sure what you mean when you ask 'Is it possible to automate the connection when they available only?' Does this mean they are displaying in Shared even when they are turned off. Mine usually disappear from Share when I turn off the machines.

jacke
29th October 2008, 12:52 PM
I am not sure what you mean when you ask 'Is it possible to automate the connection when they available only?' Does this mean they are displaying in Shared even when they are turned off. Mine usually disappear from Share when I turn off the machines.
No they don't show when they are off.

I just mean connect automatically when they are on and available so I don't have to click on "Go" and "Connect to Server"