PDA

View Full Version : Some pretty specific questions - Leopard and Word

Clear
27th October 2008, 08:58 PM
So I have searched the forum quite unsuccesfully so far as I think some of these questions are a bit specific, but would appreciate any help anyone can give.

1. When an option box appears (ie, "do you want to move this file to the trash") how do you toggle between the different options without using the mouse?

2. In Internet Expolrer, when you hover the mouse over a link, the address of that link is displayed in the information bar at the bottom left of the screen. Can you get this information in Safari?

3. If an item (such as a web page) is minimised to the dock, can you close it without first maximising it onto the screen?

4. Word for mac 2008
Can I change the operation of the Command Key to the Control key (per word in Windows?)

4(a) Word for mac
In WinWord, if you hold the control key and press the right or left arrow, the cursor moves one word ahead. In MacWord (using command), the cursor moves all the way to the end of that line (per the 'end' or 'home' key). Any way to just advance one word?

5. Google search bar in safari
Can I make this default to Google Australia?

Thanks

dev_enter
27th October 2008, 09:00 PM
1. Tab? Use space to select.
2. Cmd + /
3. Cmd + Tab will let you switch to the App then Cmd + Q will let you quit it.
4. Dunno.
4(a). Dunno.
5. Dunno.

Edit: Note that on some dialogs, like Save/Cancel/Don't Save, you can use Enter to select the default (usually save), Escape to cancel or Cmd + D to not save.

tcn33
27th October 2008, 09:07 PM
4(a) Word for mac
In WinWord, if you hold the control key and press the right or left arrow, the cursor moves one word ahead. In MacWord (using command), the cursor moves all the way to the end of that line (per the 'end' or 'home' key). Any way to just advance one word?
Option-arrow.

LennyX
27th October 2008, 09:08 PM
So I have searched the forum quite unsuccesfully so far as I think some of these questions are a bit specific, but would appreciate any help anyone can give.

1. When an option box appears (ie, "do you want to move this file to the trash") how do you toggle between the different options without using the mouse?

2. In Internet Expolrer, when you hover the mouse over a link, the address of that link is displayed in the information bar at the bottom left of the screen. Can you get this information in Safari?

3. If an item (such as a web page) is minimised to the dock, can you close it without first maximising it onto the screen?

4. Word for mac 2008
Can I change the operation of the Command Key to the Control key (per word in Windows?)

4(a) Word for mac

Thanks

1. You have to enable it in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts. Change it to All Controls. You'll get a blue border around a button when it's selected and can press spacebar to 'click' the button. If a button is fully coloured in blue, then you can just hit enter to do that action.

4. a) to go ahead just one word on a Mac, it's usually done by holding the Option key and using the arrows. Word might screw with that though - MS seem to like imposing their shortcuts on the Mac whenever possible.

5. Install Inquisitor (http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/index_en.php)

Currawong
27th October 2008, 09:10 PM

In the System Preferences -> Keyboard you can change the "Full keyboard access" option to "All controls".

In the view menu, turn on the Status Bar.

Not as far as I know.

4. Word for mac 2008

I recommend not trying to make Mac OS X behave like Windows but adapt to doing things the Mac OS X way. It's less frustrating. We've had the odd Windows power user on MacTalk complaining that they can't do keyboard shortcuts and navigation exactly the same in Windows. I wouldn't personally flay myself with a cat-o-nine tails, but some people enjoy that kind of thing.

I could be wrong, but wont Google do that for you if you're logged in to it when you search? I think there's a hack somewhere to do this though. Someone who actually knows will post soon i'm sure.

DJY
27th October 2008, 09:15 PM

You can close an app in the dock - without first maximising it...
put the cursor over the app in the dock and click the mouse but hold it over the app...
it will reveal a list of options - one is quit.

This will close the app though - not just an item...
aka using your example - it will close our internet browser - not just that webpage.

Clear
27th October 2008, 09:22 PM
Many thanks for the quick replies.

Interestingly, it seems that using Spaces overrides the equivalent shortcut keys in word (ie, to shift between spaces, I allocated Option+arrow which has disabled this shortcut key in Word). Will have to find something else for Spaces.

EDIT: Just looked at the spaces preferences options and it only allows you to use Control, Option or Command (+arrow keys) to toggle between spaces. Each of these key combinations have a use in Word which would be overriden. That's annoying.

Note - you can switch directly to a space using the number keys, but not really as convenient.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 09:36 PM
Many thanks for the quick replies.

Interestingly, it seems that using Spaces overrides the equivalent shortcut keys in word (ie, to shift between spaces, I allocated Option+arrow which has disabled this shortcut key in Word). Will have to find something else for Spaces.

EDIT: Just looked at the spaces preferences options and it only allows you to use Control, Option or Command (+arrow keys) to toggle between spaces. Each of these key combinations have a use in Word which would be overriden. That's annoying.

Note - you can switch directly to a space using the number keys, but not really as convenient.

Or you can disable Spaces.

banjo
27th October 2008, 09:50 PM

That's the only way I switch between them. Not inconvenient when you get used to it -- you only have to remember a number instead of figuring out relative position.

Luvlimum
27th October 2008, 09:57 PM
I can only answer one of your questions .....

With regards to WORD. Well, I have 2007 on XP via Parallells when I need to use it and I am an advanced user, qualified to teach - so I kind of know it well.

I also have Mac Office 2008 and have forced myself to manage some of my work in it using shortcuts and advanced formatting. I have to concur with Currawong. Other than a few keys you can safely program to handle some shortcuts, it is best to NOT try to force the mac to operate like word. It can be frustrating I know, but it is possible to learn to be proficient at both methods. I have found that WORD still feels comfortable for me when I need to work fast, but MacWord has some real clever little things that Word 2007 doesn't have and it is MUCH easier on the eye when having to reveal your formatting. I am going to continue to make myself use Macword more as I am sure that I have barely scraped the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck with it.
T

chrsha01
27th October 2008, 10:01 PM

If you're talking about the the search bar to the right of the address bar, then I think people have misinterpreted you.

If so, I don't believe to can make Google Australia the default. Unfortunate I know. The only available options are in the drop-down list. :(

midnight_e
28th October 2008, 12:10 PM

I add au to my search parameters for goggling Australian sites, if that helps.

cmrn
28th October 2008, 12:14 PM
To add to that, to only find .***.au sites add site:.au to your search

Annoying, but it works.

Also, If you install an addon to safari called Glims, you can choose from lots of search engines to search with, among lots of other cool stuff (I esp. like the enhanced search results - with images)

sideshow
28th October 2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks

I concur with lenny....install Inquisitor (http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/index_en.php) :thumbup:

cmrn
28th October 2008, 12:30 PM
Glims (http://machangout.com) > Inquisitor.

Glims is Inquisitor + Saft in one. And it is free.