PDA

View Full Version : Downloading and Safari

Mongrel
27th October 2008, 03:13 PM
Hey all,

I am sick of Safari downloading everything to the "Downloads" directory. Is there a way of having Safari ask you where you want to download it.

A right mouse click brings up a "Download Linked File" but it would be nice if it said "Download Linked File To.." and then I could select where to put it.

Is that possible?

Cheers
-J

Goodbye
27th October 2008, 03:14 PM
In the menu bar:

Safari > Preferences > General > Save downloaded items to...

And just under the "Download Linked File" when you right click on a file, is a "Download Linked File As..." option, which lets you choose where you want to save it.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 03:19 PM
Short answer. No. I think it was done so that you always know where you files have been downloaded to. I have tried to guide many windows users over the phone on installing new drivers which I just got them to download only to later lose the downloaded file because they forgot where they saved it.

Mongrel
27th October 2008, 03:22 PM
In the menu bar:

Safari > Preferences > General > Save downloaded items to...

And just under the "Download Linked File" when you right click on a file, is a "Download Linked File As..." option, which lets you choose where you want to save it.

Yep... But it would be nice to have Safari ask you without having to click the right mouse button. That way you know where stuff is going.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 03:26 PM
Yep... But it would be nice to have Safari ask you without having to click the right mouse button. That way you know where stuff is going.

But you always know that it will be going to your designated "Downloads" folder. Are you high? Read my above post.

Alex Morrow
27th October 2008, 03:30 PM
"That way you know where stuff is going."
I may be the only person who does this, but I download EVERYTHING and save EVERYTHING to my Desktop. (Command-D does it.) When I'm good and ready, and have had time to reflect on where I want the file to finish up, I move it. Works for me.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 03:52 PM
I may be the only person who does this, but I download EVERYTHING and save EVERYTHING to my Desktop. (Command-D does it.) When I'm good and ready, and have had time to reflect on where I want the file to finish up, I move it. Works for me.

I use the Downloads folder that is in your user directory and then once it's downloaded or I do my daily/weekly/monthly clean up of my downloads folder and move it to it's correct place.

Mongrel
27th October 2008, 04:05 PM
But you always know that it will be going to your designated "Downloads" folder. Are you high? Read my above post.

Yes... that is all well and good, but when I am working on 5 projects at once, I like to keep the downloads associated with each project separately. Why download all to one directory and then have to go and sort through that directory again! That is double handling - and time consuming isn't it??

-J

Alex Morrow
27th October 2008, 04:39 PM
I find it time-consuming and annoying to have to navigate to the correct folder (which may be several levels down) for each file or download. That's why I only do that once - when all the saving and downloading has been done. Really, I think it's just a matter of finding a method which suits the way you work or think - and Mac OS seems to provide a pretty wide range of options for doing this.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 04:42 PM
Have you tried Firefox? Firefox allows for the feature that you want.

banjo
27th October 2008, 05:26 PM
You can always simply drag the file from the downloads stack on the dock to wherever you want it. It's like being on the desktop, but not.

bullrout
27th October 2008, 07:25 PM
You could use Automamator and save the workflow as a Finder folder action on the Downloads folder.

Mongrel
27th October 2008, 07:42 PM
You could use Automamator and save the workflow as a Finder folder action on the Downloads folder.

Hmmm need to learn more about Automator me thinks!!

Wally
27th October 2008, 08:00 PM

You do know downloading stuff to your desktop slows down your computer right?

The desktop is constantly refreshed for some reason (perhaps to discover CD's etc)
Best bet is to download to the Downloads folder..

Make a shortcut in your dock if you have to.

Wally

Alex Morrow
27th October 2008, 08:17 PM
Wally - thanks for that. No, I didn't know, and I don't really understand why, but I'll have a think about it again. The stuff I store on the Desktop would normally only be there for a day or two before being put away somewhere else.

tcn33
27th October 2008, 08:33 PM
I use Hazel (http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php) for this kind of thing - everything is saved to Downloads, then Hazel takes the appropriate action based on file type, date added etc. So .avi files are moved to my external drive, disk images are deleted once I've had them for a week, .torrent files after 24 hours etc.

$22 USD but worth every penny. There's a free equivalent but I can't think of the name offhand.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 09:41 PM
Because everyone seems to have ignored me. I'll post it again.

banjo
27th October 2008, 09:45 PM
Because everyone seems to have ignored me. I'll post it again.

Umm, perhaps the suggestion was ignored because the post title clearly states the browser preference.

elnewb
27th October 2008, 09:59 PM
No where in the thread has the OP stated a preference for Safari, it was merely asked if it was possible to do with Safari. I am posting a viable alternative.

Mongrel
27th October 2008, 11:07 PM
No where in the thread has the OP stated a preference for Safari, it was merely asked if it was possible to do with Safari. I am posting a viable alternative.

Banjo would be correct. I was asking specifically about Safari. I realise there are other browsers out there, but I like Safari - hence my post.

That is why it was ignored.

Cheers
-J