PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played with "Open Office" for Mac?

Luvlimum
27th October 2008, 11:52 AM
I do hope I have posted this in the correct Forum (please move if not).

In my non-ending search to find a more mature database than Bento2 and to avoid having to fork out over $500 for Filemaker, I have come across Open Office which is like a MS Office setup - complete with a relational database program called "Base" They now have a Mac OSX version - whoo Hoo! i have downloaded it, and it does look promising, but I would love to hear from anyone that is familiar with it? What do you think? How do you use it?

Cheers
Tanya :thumbup:

MichaelQ
27th October 2008, 05:55 PM
I've used Open Office for years and most recently Neo Office. Works great. Haven't used the database function though. But I use it all the time for word processing and spreadsheets when I need them.

kyte
27th October 2008, 05:59 PM
I had a quick play with Base once (database construction is NOT my forte or interes) and it looked a lot like Access. If you need that kind of thing, it will work.

mechcon
27th October 2008, 05:59 PM
It's great, if you can't afford to, or have iWork, then Open Office 3.0 is definitely the way to go!

elnewb
27th October 2008, 06:00 PM
How do you use it?

I use it with a keyboard and mouse.

matthew858
27th October 2008, 06:03 PM
I use it with a keyboard and mouse.

And the occasional touch pad:p.

Luvlimum
27th October 2008, 10:04 PM
Hey Mechcon - have you used the database program? So far I "think" I am really impressed. It looks a lot like access, but some things don't work the same. I am still trying to teach myself, but would be interested if you have designed ay relational databases on it. Would you know if you can merge the database info to Mac Word for example?

Cheers
t

camel
27th October 2008, 10:06 PM
i have played, though i didnt like the fact that i couldnt do pivot charts in it... anyone had any luck with pivots in open office?