PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Library Size

Kuma
26th October 2008, 12:00 PM
I was wondering if there is any way to get the total size of your library.... without going to the various categories and then adding it up (which is fine.. I can do that) but is there an automated combined summary somewhere?

p53
26th October 2008, 12:07 PM
do you use the 'keep iTunes folder sorted' option? if so, you could use Finder to check the size of your ~/Music/iTunes folder

ric3am
26th October 2008, 12:38 PM
are you talking on how many GB ? on your main window bottom bar it should tell you how many items and how large

Kuma
26th October 2008, 12:53 PM
are you talking on how many GB ? on your main window bottom bar it should tell you how many items and how large

I was waiting for someone to say that...

I want a total summary for the whole library.. not the various parts

p53's solution is best.. but far from ideal.

Alucard
26th October 2008, 12:53 PM
A great free solution to find the size of any folder on your mac and find out where all that extra space disappeared is whatsize.

WhatSize 4.3.1 - MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13006)

Phase
26th October 2008, 12:54 PM
p53's solution is best.. but far from ideal.

Why, what is it lacking?

Kuma
26th October 2008, 12:58 PM
This would be ideal... if it was a breakdown of the whole library.
http://img.skitch.com/20081026-egnraa8y4iq8h4hfwfcnx3u6hh.jpg

Graham
26th October 2008, 04:33 PM
I was waiting for someone to say that...

I want a total summary for the whole library.. not the various parts

Then perhaps you should have been clearer in what you were asking. It's not necessarily bad to be vague but it is to give a sarky response to someone who was trying to help.

Perhaps an Applescript could go through the library and sum the different type of file? You could also create a number of smart folders of different types of files.

Kuma
26th October 2008, 06:18 PM
which is fine.. I can do that) but is there an automated combined summary somewhere?

Then perhaps you should have been clearer in what you were asking. It's not necessarily bad to be vague but it is to give a sarky response to someone who was trying to help.

I would have thought that the bit above was quite clear.... p53 seemed to understand what I said.

Graham
26th October 2008, 07:36 PM
I would have thought that the bit above was quite clear.... p53 seemed to understand what I said.

iTunes is automated and shows a combined summary of the items in your library. ric3am (and I have no idea who s/he is) gave a perfectly valid suggestion. It wasn't what you wanted - which is fine - but you elected to be smug and sarcastic rather than merely clarify what you were after.

We've learned a lot about you on this thread.

elnewb
26th October 2008, 07:43 PM
iTunes is automated and shows a combined summary of the items in your library. ric3am (and I have no idea who s/he is) gave a perfectly valid suggestion. It wasn't what you wanted - which is fine - but you elected to be smug and sarcastic rather than merely clarify what you were after.

We've learned a lot about you on this thread.

Please to be dismounting off your high horse. What Kuma asked in his original post was very clear to me and he wasn't sarcastic at all in my eyes in his other posts.

Now back on topic. You said that it shows a combined summary of items in your library. Which is doesn't. It only shows The totals individually for each sidebar section, that is Music, Movies, TV shows, podcasts, audiobooks and applications. It does not provide you with a total for all of these combined within iTunes. The only total of this sort is only provided for external devices such as your iPod, iPod Touch or iPhone.

Kuma, I think you might have to put in a request on the Apple website for this feature and hope that it gets implemented somehow. Your only present alternative is to Get Info on your iTunes library in Finder.

Kuma
27th October 2008, 12:17 AM
Kuma, I think you might have to put in a request on the Apple website for this feature and hope that it gets implemented somehow. Your only present alternative is to Get Info on your iTunes library in Finder.

Thanks heaps and I appreciate the vote of confidence... I thought it was clear :)

Ironically Graham hit upon the best idea...

a smart playlist.. list content played between 0 and 50000... and bingo.. the whole library is there.

thanks Graham