PDA

View Full Version : Does Telstra unlock for free on a contract?

macfan
25th October 2008, 10:31 PM
Well as many of you know by now, none of the carriers are offering the iPhone outright anymore. So I'm thinking of going on a cheap telstra plan, unlocking and moving across to optus. Does anyone know if telstra still charges the 150 fee if you're on a contract? I know on an Optus plan they dont charge anything, but the lady I spoke to at telstra didn't know. TIA :)

Huy
25th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Why can't you buy an Optus prepaid one? I think they still exist.

sky
25th October 2008, 10:37 PM
i arranged for my unlock only yesterday thru telstra. they were selling phones outright then....
but if u want to go to optus, why not buy it there? i spoke to optus shop today and for $114 to $129 they had unlimited phone calls and text plus up to 3gig of data. they include a 16gb iphone for free on 24mth contract. and they will unlock it for free. this was what we were quoted this afternoon in west sydney optus shop.

maybe others could speak up on optus signal strength etc but this deal seemed good to me....

macfan
25th October 2008, 10:41 PM
id prefer to buy from telstra directly as the optus shop near me doesnt have any instock. also i tried ordering outright over the phone from telstra last week, the phone never showed up, i finally rang and was told my order had been cancelled because it wasnt on a plan!

so, has anyone got their telstra contract phones unlocked?

mitty
26th October 2008, 07:24 AM
It's $150 to get a Telstra iphone unlocked, regardless of if you bought it outright, contract, whatever.

Sucks doesn't it. Go Optus.

Scooterpig
26th October 2008, 09:32 AM
It's $150 to get a Telstra iphone unlocked, regardless of if you bought it outright, contract, whatever.

Sucks doesn't it. Go Optus.

Can someone please tell me how these pricks justify that amount to unlock it, other than for the reason that they can? I mean surely it takes them all of 5 minutes either via e-mail or phone call and it's just a lick of a kb key or is there some work involved?

kevinnugent
26th October 2008, 11:15 AM
It's because you are getting Australia's premium iphone experience, scooterpig. All that goodness doesn't come cheap. You should feel proud to pay it. Telstra.... further ahead.

Can you feeeeeel the sarcasm?!?! ;)

Scooterpig
26th October 2008, 01:01 PM
It's because you are getting Australia's premium iphone experience, scooterpig. All that goodness doesn't come cheap. You should feel proud to pay it. Telstra.... further ahead.

Can you feeeeeel the sarcasm?!?! ;)

Mate ya had be going there for a second as I started to choke on ya words wondering WTF you were on...:D