PDA

View Full Version : convert music to ringtones on iphone

sheens09
24th October 2008, 03:41 PM
Hi
I have followed some instructions I have seen posted about converting songs to ringtones for my iphone, but I can't seem to work out how to convert the extension from m4a to m4r
I have right-clicked here and there, but is there someone that could tell me exactly what I need to do?? I have got to the stage of making it a :40sec clip and converted to aac, but can't really go anywhere from there!
Pls let me know if you can help

Thanks heaps

MissionMan
24th October 2008, 03:56 PM
Once its M4r you just put it into the ringtones directory on your machine and then add the file to your itunes library by selecting File - Add to library

Aladdin
24th October 2008, 09:55 PM
Hi
I have followed some instructions I have seen posted about converting songs to ringtones for my iphone, but I can't seem to work out how to convert the extension from m4a to m4r
I have right-clicked here and there, but is there someone that could tell me exactly what I need to do?? I have got to the stage of making it a :40sec clip and converted to aac, but can't really go anywhere from there!
Pls let me know if you can help

Thanks heaps

Once you've got your 'less than 40 second' clip in AAC, then locate the file in finder (File > Show in Finder), option-drag (i.e. copy) to desktop.

Go back into iTunes, select your clip and delete (coz you've already got a copy on the desktop).

Click on the file on your desktop, hit enter, and *manually* change the '.m4a' to '.m4r'. Click the correct box to confirm. Then drag the newly renamed file onto the iTunes icon. The clip should be in 'Ringtones'.

Drag the file on the desktop into the Trash.

Hollywood
24th October 2008, 10:05 PM
+1 for what aladdin said

scokim
24th October 2008, 11:14 PM
i'd thought garageband can do all this for you. it has a menu item for converting to iphone ringtone.

sheens09
27th October 2008, 02:34 PM
Aladdin,
I followed your instruction of "click on the file on your desktop and hit enter........" but when I do that it just plays the clip thru itunes.
Please don't think I'm a dumbass! I'm obviously just doing something wrong still?? It seems so simple tho.

Mac Ram
27th October 2008, 02:44 PM
Aladdin,
I followed your instruction of "click on the file on your desktop and hit enter........" but when I do that it just plays the clip thru itunes.
Please don't think I'm a dumbass! I'm obviously just doing something wrong still?? It seems so simple tho.

Try right clicking and selecting get info and change from in there.

p53
27th October 2008, 03:05 PM
I have tried the method suggested by MissionMan/Aladdin but it didn't work for me.
sheens 09, are you using a Mac? if so, GarageBand is the easiest way to convert an mp3 to an iPhone ringtone. Simply drag and drop the m4a file into GarageBand, edit it, then go to Share > Send Ringtone to iPhone. Lastly, make sure that your iPhone sync preferences are set appropriately.

Aladdin
27th October 2008, 03:58 PM
Aladdin,

Are you sure you're not double clicking (which means 'open')? You'll only want to single click (otherwise known as 'click') to select item. Then hit enter to allow editing of filename, or otherwise command-I (File > Get Info) to edit filename within separate info window.

Edit - or do what Mac Ram said 2 posts above this.

PS - sorry, I should state that I assumed you're using a Mac.