PDA

View Full Version : Fink vs MacPorts

anarchron
23rd October 2008, 06:10 PM
Time to start up the old religious wars between Fink vs MacPorts.

Wally
23rd October 2008, 06:12 PM
sudo ports install MacTalk

MacTalk is already installed!

Wally

zeddie2001
23rd October 2008, 06:13 PM
Never had any problems with Fink (that I didn't cause myself...)

Last time I tried MacPorts, it caused me no end of troubles!

anarchron
23rd October 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm currently using MacPorts. Part of the problem with MacPorts is that some of the ports are dodgy, either they have a dependency error, outdated or the checksum fails.

I haven't tried Fink in ages, might give it a spin.

muzzray
23rd October 2008, 06:24 PM
Going to have to show my ignorance here and ask what are they (for those of us not so technically inclined)?

Wally
23rd October 2008, 06:38 PM
MacPorts and Fink are an easy way to compile programs for Mac OS X also helps compile any missing libraries you need for any particular application that you are building, tis more a developers tool more than anything.

Any hoo, anarchron you done a sudo port update lately?

Wally

tupps
23rd October 2008, 06:43 PM
I have spent a lot more time getting MacPorts to work than I have getting stuff in stalled via Fink.

I have been using Fink for years so it might just be I am used to the way Fink works. I spent a lot of time trying to get Git and the GIMP installed via MacPorts, where it was just a matter of hit install via sources to get it working in Fink. YMMV

anarchron
23rd October 2008, 08:40 PM
MacPorts and Fink are an easy way to compile programs for Mac OS X also helps compile any missing libraries you need for any particular application that you are building, tis more a developers tool more than anything.

Any hoo, anarchron you done a sudo port update lately?

Wally

Yep I have. I think it's to do with some old ports and obscure library ports that don't get updated.

Nevets_Anderson
28th October 2008, 08:15 AM
Fink user hear - But Mac ports is something I've keept an eye on in the past.
I just wish apple would bring out there own version of fink / Mp as I konw they would do an amazing job at this sort of thing.

MacDave
28th October 2008, 09:18 AM
I object to this poll. There is not a "Both" option!

I do use them both. If one fails or gives me grief, I use the other.

Dave

anarchron
28th October 2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry Macdave, I didn't think that anyone actually used both :P

chip
16th December 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm building a few OS X Servers and have spent a couple of days evaluating both. Despite my Debian background and the familiarity of apt, I settled on Macports as it required less effort to get the packages I needed up and running, and kept updated. Support also seems more active, at least going by the roadmap.

Apologies for the thread necromancy :)