PDA

View Full Version : Abandon Optus for 3 at your peril.

ON2DVD
23rd October 2008, 08:37 AM
I have seen many posts of people fed up with Optus's network problems. Some said they were going to dump Optus for 3.......

Be warned. 3 is not the answer.

I just had 7 months left of a 24 month 3 contract which I had to give up on- paid it out, moved to Telstra- 1 week later I couldn't be happier with my new iPhone and Telstra.

The first 12 months of my 3 contract was fine, never really had any issues. But the last 5-6 months, it has been very poor. I even got a letter from 3 to say sorry for the network issues (bout 2 months ago), i did not make any complaint, it was a mass mailing.
They said in the letter they were working hard to fix the intermitent problems---- they didn't succeed and so i had to leave, had a gut full of it.

On 3 (in the last 6 months only)
-- many times SMS messages not sent/received for hours and sometimes even days. The latest (and final straw) was a SMS i sent which appeared to go- 3 days later I get a message on my phone- "message sent" WHAT, message was sent 3 days late.

-- Roaming twice as much as it used to.

Went to McLaren Vale (wine country 35ks south of Adelaide city) and noticed 3 had no coverage but my Telstra prepaid in the car had full service.

It's when you need your network to be there for you that 3 will fail you, much like I think Optus has done lately o many.

Yes, I am being reamed (comparitively) by Telstra- but I just get an iPhone that works so well and I am prepared to use my phone less often (we can all do this really) to keep the bill in reasonable shape.

Ok, I'm probably rambling now- what's my message? Back to the title of the thread, that's my message.

mechcon
23rd October 2008, 08:52 AM
Exactly!! That is why going with Three doesn't work out sadly. I've warned friends about it, but they didn't listen to me :P

semaja2
23rd October 2008, 09:13 AM
Can you get the iphone type plans from telstra with no contract or some kind of reward if you already own the iphone?

TheWatchman
23rd October 2008, 10:04 AM
THe more people that leave Optus the better the network will become.

Exocet
23rd October 2008, 10:15 AM
Went to McLaren Vale (wine country 35ks south of Adelaide city) and noticed 3 had no coverage but my Telstra prepaid in the car had full service.
Is your prepaid handset a NextG handset? If not, your Telstra Prepaid would've been GSM and your 3 handset would have been roaming - they use exactly the same network. If your 3 handset wasn't showing Roaming then you had probably set it to 3G only.

ON2DVD
23rd October 2008, 10:26 AM
Is your prepaid handset a NextG handset? If not, your Telstra Prepaid would've been GSM and your 3 handset would have been roaming - they use exactly the same network. If your 3 handset wasn't showing Roaming then you had probably set it to 3G only.

No, my Telstra prepaid is an old Nokia 6310 (i think)
Ther was no service on the 3 mobile at the time at all- no roaming.
I'm not 100% sure about what is supposed to happen.

ON2DVD
23rd October 2008, 10:31 AM
Can you get the iphone type plans from telstra with no contract or some kind of reward if you already own the iphone?

I really don't know for sure, I don't think there is one

Exocet
23rd October 2008, 11:07 AM
No, my Telstra prepaid is an old Nokia 6310 (i think)
Ther was no service on the 3 mobile at the time at all- no roaming.
I'm not 100% sure about what is supposed to happen.

If your 6310 had coverage, your 3 mobile would have had coverage also. They see the same network. This is either a handset configuration fault or a handset antenna fault - not a network one. :)

ON2DVD
23rd October 2008, 11:16 AM
Next time I'm in McLaren Vale I'll see if there's 3G coverage for my iPhone on Telstra.
So you're saying my 3 phone may not be setup right? Like i said, I'm not totally aware of what spec of service should work where, just that at the time I couldn't use it.

Exocet
23rd October 2008, 11:32 AM
You will get 3G coverage for Telstra because Telstra operate a national 3G Network (NextG). 3 only cover the major metro areas.

Bosox76
23rd October 2008, 12:15 PM
I've been using the iphone with 3 in adelaide for just short of 3 months now, i've never had a problem with reception. Nearly always full reception except at work where no one has reception regardless of network. Plus their plans are great and the speed beats optus hands down.

sighclops
23rd October 2008, 12:22 PM
sure optus have their problems, but trust me they are MILES AHEAD of 3.

why won't 3 just die already....

ON2DVD
23rd October 2008, 01:23 PM
why won't 3 just die already....

lol

RyanS
26th October 2008, 11:46 PM
Definetly disagree-I love my iphone on Three (n Sydney).

I have never had any roaming costs and as I'm on First On Three my plan cost is zero. Three seem to be spreading their coverage here anyway as I can now get Three 3G where I live as a few weeks ago i couldn't.

I call my wife on Three for nothing. I also have pennytel which is my little secret and I am surprised they let them make an app for the iphone. Miles better than Fring which I found to be too laggy and Skype out is more expensive anyway.

With Pennytel I can effectively make 10.5c/min billed by the second mobile calls to land lines (plus an effective 8c flag fall)

Also with pennytel with wifi I can call say the UK for 8c untimed! its just brilliant.

I have a 200mb 12$ data paln which is more than enough but I could go higher/lower by a phone call to Three and the data costs are so low.

No Three is fine but pennytel is just brilliant and I think my iphone will pay for itself with call savings, I don't use my land line at all now as 8c untimed practically anywhere in the world is unbeatable.

NO good riddance optus I just pay their $19 to pay off my iphone but never stick in their sim.

Three Plus PennyTel UNBEATABLE.

I honestly have nothing to do with Pennytel but really it is brilliant but i'm glad you don't all use it as I'm sure if it was popular apple would stop it being used.

With it I never have to use a mobile network to make calls. You select your number hit call back your phone rings and when you answer it you are connected to the number you want to ring all for 10.5c a minute and in wifi just 8c untimed anywhere practically!!! Sorry to repeat myself but my phone calls which included over an hour to the UK (phone numbers not computers) last month were 32c!!! oh yes 19$ to optus.

kristian
27th October 2008, 12:08 AM
Disagree as well. 3G on Optus with the iPhone was so slow it was unusable. My experience with Three is so much better.

+ Free incoming call when I roam in the UK!

leoleakey
27th October 2008, 02:23 PM
my iphone works great with 3, no issue at all

RyanS
28th October 2008, 12:42 AM
I think some of these posts are started by optus employees trying to spread mis information.

I found optus hopeless to deal with and I'm glad I managed to unlock and go to Three.

That optus "Sorry I didn't catch that say Internet, Mobile or something else" customer non support line is a disgrace.

"Sorry I didn't catch that did you say disgrace or total disgrace or something else"

nard
28th October 2008, 03:45 AM
I think some of these posts are started by optus employees trying to spread mis information.

Pft! How do we know that you and ON2DVD are not each employees of 3 and Telstra!?

tcimac
28th October 2008, 05:57 AM
While I don't have an iPhone, I am with 3 and I have to agree with Exocet, when I move out of the 3 coverage area, my phone simply swaps over the the Telstra network and roams quite unobstructed. Never have any connection issues as far as voice goes. But I do admit have had the odd time when SMS has been received 2-3 hours late and also connecting to 3G services is not possible.

fickwalker
28th October 2008, 06:31 AM
I must disagree. I'm with Three and have zero issues thus far. It's been nothing but a pleasant, and cheap, experience.

boddiz
28th October 2008, 07:33 AM
I agree with y completely. I was using optus for my 8GB one, had problems, but the chep price was better for me.

Then when I lost the phone, only telstra had em in stock. So I bought one from there. So far havent had a place without reception, no dropped calls, everything just works!

moral = screw optus, testra FTW!

ON2DVD
28th October 2008, 03:04 PM
Hey - each to their own. If your all happy on 3 good for you.

Over the years I've been with Telstra, Optus, 3 and now back to Telstra. Tried the others and came back to the best.

Me an Optus employee? Why, if you read my post you would see i am with Telstra. :cool:

Then if you had seen the link in my sig, you would see that I have nothing to do with telephones in my line of work. :thumbup:

chrisongtj
29th October 2008, 03:31 PM
I was thinking of getting an iPhone from Optus prepaid myself and converting to 3. I'll be staying in Brisbane next year, does anyone over there have any experience with this set up? Wondering about the reception issues (I'll be at UQ and the local hospitals most of the time)

drewbles
29th October 2008, 03:55 PM
THe more people that leave Optus the better the network will become.

Great Point!

Everyone, leave optus. now. I want my 3G bandwidth back ;)

drewbles
29th October 2008, 04:02 PM

I found optus hopeless to deal with and I'm glad I managed to unlock and go to Three.

That optus "Sorry I didn't catch that say Internet, Mobile or something else" customer non support line is a disgrace.

"Sorry I didn't catch that did you say disgrace or total disgrace or something else"

And how is talking to Mumbai better?

I do not work for Optus, nor any Australian Mobile Carrier (and no carrier that has any ties whatsoever to any Australian network) and I would *never* use Three.

The times i've had to use 3/Orange (back in the day) were nothing but disgraceful. Shocking Customer Service. Indian Call Centres that can't understand what you're saying.

If you're outside the metro area, forget 3G coverage, and start coughing up dough for Telstra GPRS roaming.

Be one of the others being disconnected, on 3. It's good to be disconnected on 3.

I lived in the CBD (middle of Melbourne) and got 'ROAMING' on my handset to Telstra.

No thanks. I'd rather a slower speed on Optus 3G than a network that is never available.

nard
29th October 2008, 05:52 PM
I was thinking of getting an iPhone from Optus prepaid myself and converting to 3. I'll be staying in Brisbane next year, does anyone over there have any experience with this set up? Wondering about the reception issues (I'll be at UQ and the local hospitals most of the time)

Optus coverage in Brisbane is really very good if you ask me. The same can not be said for 3. Just keep your prepaid iPhone with Optus if you'll be living in Brisbane.

Great Point!

Everyone, leave optus. now. I want my 3G bandwidth back ;)

Gold! :D (I hope you don't mind if I stay with Optus, drewbles. The rest of you whiners get off my lawn (network)! ;)