PDA

View Full Version : MS at it again!

Scooterpig
23rd October 2008, 08:32 AM
The Chinese ain't happy!

Microsoft's anti-piracy push gets personal (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24539702-5014239,00.html)

stewiesno1
23rd October 2008, 08:43 AM
Well in China , the proportion of that 200 million users of MS products that are legit is probably 10% at best.
If I was MS , I wouldn't be too happy about it either.
That lawyer can jump up and down all he likes saying target the producers and sellers of pirated software and leave the users alone , but that won't get anywhere.
Look how it has failed with pirated mp3s in the West. A few big servers like Napster get taken down only to be replaced by hundreds of others
If they are not using illegal software , in my opinion they have nothing to worry about.
Now let all the privacy proponents get all antsy.

Stewie ( puts on his flameproof suit )

marc
23rd October 2008, 08:53 AM
"If the price of genuine software was lower than the fake one, who would buy the fake one?"

Oh yeah, brilliant theory there :rolleyes: Sounds like the guy is totally in tune with what it takes to develop an advanced operating system from the ground up.

So their desktop wallpaper has gone black and they get a pop-up every once in a while? Cry me a river.

MissionMan
23rd October 2008, 08:55 AM
To be honest, the Chinese had it coming. The country has consistently flouted anti-piracy laws and as mentioned, the majority of the population are using illegal copies. You can't expect Microsoft to compete with a pirate copy which is produced for $3, where is the R&D in that figure? Where is the support? (yeah, i know they have crap support anyway).

At the end of the day, its the 90% using illegal copies that are effectively ensuring that we pay exorbitant pricing for our software.

I have no sympathy here, you reap what you sow.

insular
23rd October 2008, 09:04 AM
If everyone in China had a legit copy of MS (remembering China has a billion+ population), then M$ would be even richer and even closer to world domination. Pirate away my Chinese flends!

MissionMan
23rd October 2008, 09:17 AM
You think small. The problem is not only piracy of Microsoft, its piracy in generally including Apple products. The Chinese are guilty of more copywrite infringement than anyone else. They have no respect for patents or intellectual property which means singers, artists, movie studios etc all lose out because of it. At the end of the day, that all contributes to higher pricing on products, because this has to be costed into development.

Dog Knight
23rd October 2008, 10:03 AM
Sounds like the guy is totally in tune with what it takes to develop an advanced operating system from the ground up.

Advanced Operating System? We are talking about Windows yeah? :P

Also, I don't think Microsoft has built any operating system from the groun up in quite some time. LOL

gehenna
23rd October 2008, 10:35 AM

Also, I don't think Microsoft has built any operating system from the groun up in quite some time. LOL

Can you think of anyone that has?

melbmac
23rd October 2008, 10:40 AM
Serves them right...

"Microsoft has no right to control my hardware without my agreement."

You have no right to use the software witout paying for a licence!

Just for the record, my computer is pirated software free.

ford.boy
23rd October 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm 4 billion percent on microsoft's side on this one. There are free alternatives for things, and if you can't be bothered to pay, that's YOUR tough luck. not the company who makes the software.

ford.boy
23rd October 2008, 10:44 AM

Ever actually, wasn't windows originally bought from some poor guy?

Jolyon
23rd October 2008, 11:11 AM

Nope. Windows NT was a built from the ground up.

gehenna
23rd October 2008, 11:14 AM

You're thinking of DOS. 95 was ground up. NT was ground up.
Pretty sure Apple haven't done a ground up since OS X was released in '99 and even that was largely a port of NeXT

ford.boy
23rd October 2008, 11:15 AM
Oh snaps for them!

Considering that's the best kernel they have/had, its good they wrote that one :)

cornks
23rd October 2008, 11:20 AM
Is it just me, but I find it hard to take the US seriously when they whine about developing countries stealing their intellectual property. If we wind back the clock 150 years or so when the US was a developing country, it was “stealing” intellectual property from the Europeans hand over fist without making any payment what so ever. Charles Dickens even petitioned the US congress in 1836 for protection for non-US author’s works, and the US congress just flipped him the bird. It might be worth asking how much James Watt got from the US for his steam engine technology also. The list of inventions and literary works the US stole from the Europeans, if they were made to pay for it would run into the billions in to days dollars.

The US only got serious about protecting intellectual property from other countries when the cost of paying foreign inventors and authors became less than the money they were suppose to receive from other countries. From then on, the US was, everybody must respect intellectual property no matter where it came from.

I find it laughable that the US tells China, a developing country that adopting (unofficially) the same policies that the US adopted (officially) when it was a developing country, are not acceptable.

Is it just me?

Jolyon
23rd October 2008, 11:23 AM
You're thinking of DOS. 95 was ground up. NT was ground up.
Pretty sure Apple haven't done a ground up since OS X was released in '99 and even that was largely a port of NeXT

Wasn't '95 a 32 bit GUI on top of DOS?

ford.boy
23rd October 2008, 11:24 AM
95 was not ground up at all.

lavo
23rd October 2008, 11:32 AM
Is it just me, but I find it hard to take the US seriously when they whine about developing countries stealing their intellectual property. If we wind back the clock 150 years or so when the US was a developing country, it was “stealing” intellectual property from the Europeans hand over fist without making any payment what so ever. Charles Dickens even petitioned the US congress in 1836 for protection for non-US author’s works, and the US congress just flipped him the bird. It might be worth asking how much James Watt got from the US for his steam engine technology also. The list of inventions and literary works the US stole from the Europeans, if they were made to pay for it would run into the billions in to days dollars.

The US only got serious about protecting intellectual property from other countries when the cost of paying foreign inventors and authors became less than the money they were suppose to receive from other countries. From then on, the US was, everybody must respect intellectual property no matter where it came from.

I find it laughable that the US tells China, a developing country that adopting (unofficially) the same policies that the US adopted (officially) when it was a developing country, are not acceptable.

Is it just me?

In some ways China is adopting the same policies as the US - making loans to smaller developing countries, promising infrastructure rebuilding, then taking resources when they default on the loan (read Confessions of an Economic Hitman for the guff).

I think it is a storm in a teacup to be honest. A handful of pirates are whining about WGA, something that has been a part of Windows for years. I'll back MS on this one. As said earlier, pirates can always use Ubuntu or other free operating systems in conjunction with Wine if they don't like the anti-piracy measures.