PDA

View Full Version : Help. Dud RAID drive.

Jimbo
22nd October 2008, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, I've got a problem with one of the drives in my raid and I need to replace it, how do i go about it? first some background info...

The mac is a mac pro 2007 model, with four drives in 2 arrays, the drives are mirrored for maximum data safety, each is 500gb

so, in essence i've got 1 500gb drive in a mirrored pair that needs replacing.

How do i do this? is it a case of power down the system, pull out the dud one, put in the new one, and it'll sort itself out?

Currawong
22nd October 2008, 08:22 PM
Yes. I believe it will sort itself out, or else require opening Disk Utility to repair it. I think when you created the RAID, there was an option to auto rebuild or not. I'm going from memory though.

Jimbo
23rd October 2008, 09:44 PM
I think when you created the RAID, there was an option to auto rebuild or not.

if I knew that...

So should i just power it down rip the dud out and put the new in and turn it back on? what if the good drive starts to mirror the blank drive and i end up with two 500gb drives of nothing?

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but the data on this drive is our p2 backups for the 7pm news... if we lose it, it could be a tad embarrassing on my part...maybe i'll call apple...

elnewb
23rd October 2008, 10:07 PM
if I knew that...

So should i just power it down rip the dud out and put the new in and turn it back on? what if the good drive starts to mirror the blank drive and i end up with two 500gb drives of nothing?

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but the data on this drive is our p2 backups for the 7pm news... if we lose it, it could be a tad embarrassing on my part...maybe i'll call apple...

/facepalm

Yes you are being paranoid. Just do it.

Just for some clarification is it two pairs of RAID 1 or RAID 10?

chrome
23rd October 2008, 11:34 PM
if I knew that...

The OS writes information onto the drives to mark they are a part of a mirror pair. When you insert a fresh disk, it won't find those markers on the new disk. It won't use that disk until you tell Disk Utility to do so. When the rebuild operation starts, it uses the current disk, not the newly inserted one. It knows which disk is which. Because of magic.

For more information: Mac OS X: How to rebuild a software RAID mirror (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20865?viewlocale=en_US)