PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine and Laptops

Salamander
22nd October 2008, 06:51 PM
I've been using Time Machine with my iMac since Leopard came out with only the occasional hiccup. It's connected to a FW800 external drive and everything happens automatically (as it should!).

I now want to get an additional external drive and use Time Machine to back up my MacBook. I want to use a wired connection (probably USB2 cause they're cheaper and look to be the 'future') as I have some issues transferring large quantities of data wirelessly.

My question to those already using TM with laptops is: how do you set it up to make regular backups when your laptop may not always be connected? Do you need to manually hit 'back up now (which seems to undermine the idea of regular background backups) or can you set things up to automatically backup when you connect?

Also should the drive be formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) or just Mac OS Extended?

blakat
22nd October 2008, 06:53 PM
It'll back it up when it's plugged in, and if you forget to plug it in for a couple of weeks it'll whinge and whine at you till you do.

pengu
22nd October 2008, 10:28 PM
it will "complain" after 10 days without backing up.

Linux_insidev2
22nd October 2008, 10:30 PM
It really complains?

Cool!

Mines plugged into the lan every day, I'd never seen that!

pengu
22nd October 2008, 10:32 PM
it doesnt quite complain. it warns you, and gives the option to change your TM preferences.