PDA

View Full Version : Back-up And External Hard Drive

leharicot
4th May 2005, 11:30 AM
now that i have my PB and set it up with all my photos and music, etc, my mind turns to questions of back-up.

I want to back-up my stuff on a regular basis. I also want to have an external hard drive as I do a fair bit of video editing and having more footgage on the drive makes it easier to work with.

So i was thinking of an external firewire drive, something around 7200rpm. does anyone have any experience/tips on firewire drives and whether i can in fact use it for the purposes described above. points on the fan/no fan situation also appreciated. I was thinking maybe a drive bay that i can put different drives into (eg one for the back-up, one for the video footage)

also, any backing-up software recommendations. a one-click back-up of all movies/music folders would be the best. is there something in tiger that does this, or is third party software necessary?

TIA

purana
4th May 2005, 11:59 AM
IN the way of backups... for an exact copy of your host drive (that is still bootable from firewire drive). I'd recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. Search on macupdate.com for a URL to it.

Its worth allocating the space that your internal drive takes onto your external one, and having a bootable copy. That way, make a copy before a patch install. Patch, then if the patch is not as you thought, boot from firewire drive copy, and carbon clone the firewire copy back to internal drive. Then reboot back from new internal drive image. Back to how it was before you patched it.

Plank
4th May 2005, 12:14 PM
CCC is avaible here at Mike Bombich's site. http://www.bombich.com/

Or you could search the Appletalk main archive and find the artical on backing with with the Rsync. I use that and find that to be faster then CCC

JimWOz
4th May 2005, 02:37 PM
I use a 20G Fujitsu laptop HD - 2.5inch in a clearlight Firewire 400 / USB2 case.
I have a system partition on it and a data one.
I use Retrospect by Dantz to make incremental backups to the data partition, daily for a couple of weeks, then do a recycle backup - which eliminates the previous increments and starts with a new clean full backup. The benefit of incrementals is you only back up new and changed files, making the daily process quick, and you also can revert to any daily snapshot of your disk.

Tribackup is another similar product, used to be shareware but now distributed by FWB.

the_OM
4th May 2005, 04:12 PM
I use an 80gb Lacie Porsche drive. The software I use is apple's back-up (for .mac members).
Never really had any problems.

soulman
4th May 2005, 07:08 PM
I've had 2 of these - a 40GB bus powered 2.5" FW400 & a 250GB FW400. Found them both good, though the 250 is fairly noisy. Got the 250 recently from Streetwise for $340 which I thought was pretty good value.

I use SilverKeeper - comes with the drives & is free to d/l from LaCie - for backup, which seems to work well.

leharicot
4th May 2005, 09:33 PM
thanks for all these tips - these forums have the answers yet again!

whatever backup program i use, will i be able to use the same drive for both backup and for storage of excess video footage - without having to do partitions or anything complicated like that?

if i backup only media files and the usual prefs/bookmarks, etc that will only be 50-60gb. i want to be able to use the rest of the 250gb drive for my excess video footage that i am editing into DVDs.

i guess i am really asking whether the backup programs make the drive exclusive to that application.

TIA

soulman
4th May 2005, 10:29 PM
Not with SilverKeeper - I use the drive for all sorts of other things besides backups - and I wouldn't imagine it would be the case with other backup apps. But I dunno.

Partitions are not all that complicated anyway - Disk Utility does it all quite painlessly - but you shouldn't need to do it unless you want to.

purana
5th May 2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by JimWOz@May 4 2005, 02:37 PM

I use Retrospect by Dantz to make incremental backups....
I am thinking of buying a copy of Retrospect. Use to use that a long time ago when I was in another company. It worked alright. I am thinking of buying a copy as my employer EMC recently bought them out, and thus employees were sent a Memo saying we can get discounts.