PDA

View Full Version : 10.5.5 and 10.3.9 not seeing each other :(

Seon
22nd October 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I got myself an old eMac on eBay to use as a lowest end test machine for my games, and it came with 10.3 (panther) , which is fine as that is the minimum spec i support (well 10.3.9) so I updated everything on it to take it to 10.3.9 and it is working like a dream... except...

I cannot see any other mac on my network on it, and no other machine on the network can see it.

I have file sharing turned on and it has a share name... eMac (eMac.local)

The first Mac I ever owned and used was running Tiger, so I am not sure if there is anything else I need to do to get it visible on my network in Panther.

Yes, it's plugged in and on the network... thats how I did the software update.

Anyone (thanks in advance) ?

Seon
22nd October 2008, 03:53 PM
Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my eMac running panther visible on the network?

JimWOz
22nd October 2008, 04:09 PM
If you haven't wiped the original OS install, then maybe the firewall has a custom configuration.
try using terminal with sudo ipfw flush and see if this makes any difference.

bushbabe
22nd October 2008, 04:17 PM
Have you checked that the firewire is turned off as in system preferences ??

Another place to check is the network configuration ie addresses (I am not an expert here but I had a problem with sharing between emac and imac and it came down to the addresses in that area.) some of the others here would be able explain properly

Seon
22nd October 2008, 05:17 PM
If you haven't wiped the original OS install, then maybe the firewall has a custom configuration.
try using terminal with sudo ipfw flush and see if this makes any difference.

Ok, I tried that, but no go :(

I also made sure, no firewall on :(

I might just have to install Tiger on the eMac.

Anyone know if my Tiger disc from my iMac or MBP will install on my eMac? If not, where do I obtain a Tiger Installation pack for my eMac?

JimWOz
22nd October 2008, 05:56 PM
Check in Network preferences that the eMac is obtaining an IP address from your router via DHCP.
Note the address and try using Ping from the Network Utility Application from one of the other machines to see if it is visible.

When software update updated Panther was the machine connected via a router or direct to the modem ?

Your eMac is PPC and the MBP is Intel - so that Tiger disk won't work at all. What is the iMac vintage ? If it is a PPC then you can use it to get a Tiger system on the eMac. - If it refuses to install direct from the DVD (ie machine type locked), put the eMac in target disk mode connected to the iMac and install it onto the eMac HD that way.