PDA

View Full Version : Website not working on one computer only

banjo
21st October 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm currently hosting a website for somebody on a shared server in the US. They were on a different server (same company), but I decided to consolidate all the accounts into one, which involved moving several site. Only one is having issues with the change over.

This person is using IE7 on Windows XP and can no longer access the website, including FTP, nor can they access the cPanel of the server. I can access the site, FTP and cPanel in every browser, in both Windows (via VMware) and OSX. The client also tried on a friend's computer and it worked ... it just doesn't work on their own machine.

I told them to turn off Windows Firewall, which had no effect. They dropped their IE7 security settings to none, and it still doesn't work. I've told them to turn off any antivirus/firewall software they may have and am waiting to here back from them, as well as on using a different browser, but even FTP does not work.

I've got a feeling his ISP may be missing the new DNS info, but this has been going on for a week (8 days) and I thought it would have resolved itself by now -- that and it's not even finding the cPanel, while on the same server is not linked to his domain name.

What else could it be? Am I missing something obvious?

Peter Mount
21st October 2008, 07:12 PM
What's the url for the web site?

Currawong
21st October 2008, 07:23 PM
The computer could have a virus or trojan that is mucking with DNS settings. You could try setting up the network manually on the machine and use the OpenDNS servers. That might fix it.

banjo
21st October 2008, 07:49 PM
What's the url for the web site?

www.djrob.com.au (http://www.djrob.com.au)

The computer could have a virus or trojan that is mucking with DNS settings. You could try setting up the network manually on the machine and use the OpenDNS servers. That might fix it.

Hmmm, if you say so. Sounds a bit far fetched as its only doing it for one site. Will keep it mind if nothing else works though.

I've directed him to view another site on the same server. If it doesn't work, at least I know whatever is causing the problem is blocking the entire server. Still waiting for him to get back to me ... could be a while.

Linux_insidev2
21st October 2008, 07:55 PM
What happens when they access it via the IP Address? 74.86.165.136

If that works it's a definite DNS issue, I'd recommend updating the Serial Number on your dns record.

If it doesn't work even via the IP then it could be a routing issue, or more likely an IP Block on the hosting side of things.

forcing him to use a different DNS could help too, OpenDNS or Optus (61.88.88.88)

Bastard Sheep
21st October 2008, 08:06 PM
Get him to ping the IP, ensure it's the same as it should be.

I assume when you consolidated there's multiple sites sharing the same IP and just differentiating by URL? If his ISP uses a proxy and someone else on the ISP has accessed one of the alternate sites that could screw with his ability.

Could also just be his machine, either the DNS thing mentioned above or something simpler such as "ipconfig /flushdns" to clean his locally cached records.

These are the ideas that first spring to mind, could be a lot of other things too.

Linux_insidev2
21st October 2008, 08:19 PM
If his ISP uses a proxy and someone else on the ISP has accessed one of the alternate sites that could screw with his ability.

No it won't

The proxy passes through the requested URL in the GET request, if it didn't the server wouldn't know which page to serve, especially on Shared hosting systems.

Bastard Sheep
21st October 2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah but if it's multiple sites sharing the same IP, visit one site then try to visit another you can have issues if it's not set up correctly. If someone else on the ISP recently accessed one of hte other sites he could have those same issues.

elnewb
21st October 2008, 08:37 PM
Maybe the firewall on the side of the shared server is blocking him? I had this happen to me when I failed to enter the correct password for cPanel a few days ago with a new web host. Just something to try.

Linux_insidev2
21st October 2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah but if it's multiple sites sharing the same IP, visit one site then try to visit another you can have issues if it's not set up correctly. If someone else on the ISP recently accessed one of hte other sites he could have those same issues.

Sites are not pulled up by IP

Your computer sends a request to the proxy server in the format of

GET http://djrob.com.au HTTP/1.0

Proxy server looks up the IP for djrob.com.au and then connects on port 80, sending the same request of

GET http://djrob.com.au HTTP/1.0

The server returns the data for djrob.com.au specifically.

Trust me, I work for a cPanel Hosting provider, we host many hundreds of thousands of sites and never have I seen a proxy return the incorrect page simply because it shares the same IP
Shared hosting is way more common than you think.

Maybe the firewall on the side of the shared server is blocking him? I had this happen to me when I failed to enter the correct password for cPanel a few days ago with a new web host. Just something to try.

Yep, it's either blocked by the server or a dns issue.

adamd
21st October 2008, 08:49 PM
Delete.

banjo
21st October 2008, 09:15 PM
Maybe the firewall on the side of the shared server is blocking him?

Could be, though he can't even get to the login for cPanel let alone enter the wrong password for it.

It seems like his ISP has no record of the new domain name servers at all.

Still waiting to here back on the IP address test (both in the browser and by pinging it).

If it can't even find the IP address, what could be the cause (and thus solution) then? If it can find it I can at least try using the IP address as the DNS settings for the domain name.

[EDIT]

Ping timed out. Seems the IP address is being blocked somewhere.

elnewb
21st October 2008, 10:45 PM
Could be, though he can't even get to the login for cPanel let alone enter the wrong password for it.

It seems like his ISP has no record of the new domain name servers at all.

Still waiting to here back on the IP address test (both in the browser and by pinging it).

If it can't even find the IP address, what could be the cause (and thus solution) then? If it can find it I can at least try using the IP address as the DNS settings for the domain name.

[EDIT]

"Could be, though he can't even get to the login for cPanel let alone enter the wrong password for it." Of course he can't if he is blocked by the hoster's firewall.

/me does a happy dance about being correct :P

The solution is to contact the host and see if he is being blocked by their system.

Linux_insidev2
22nd October 2008, 08:37 AM

Definitely blocked by the server

Get it unblocked and tell him to stop entering the incorrect login details

Exocet
22nd October 2008, 08:46 AM
Traceroute the ip and see where it stops.

banjo
22nd October 2008, 06:29 PM
It was blocked by the host. Now fixed.

Get it unblocked and tell him to stop entering the incorrect login details

Unbeknownst to me, he had installed a program to FTP regularly to the server in order to have some sort of pseudo-streaming going on (it isn't actually implemented on the site, which says the "radio" is under construction -- as it has been for months).

When I moved his site, I had to reset the password. By the time he got around to changing it, the program he was using had already had him blocked.