PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine Drive for use on Mac and PC?

mitty
20th October 2008, 09:47 AM
Sorry to post this but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

My plan is to buy one of the Western Digital Mybook Essential 1TB drives, and use it for Time Machine and PC backups. Is it possible to partition the drive (not sure what sizes yet but probably doesn't matter) so that one partition is Time Machine, and the other partition is Fat32 for use on both Mac and PC? I know that by default Time Machine would probably use the entire drive.

Thanks for any advice :)

pb12lover
20th October 2008, 10:20 AM
yeah it is possible.
just use disk utility and you can create a part HFS+/ part FAT32 drive, i just did it yesterday!

purana
20th October 2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, and as indicated. Make sure the filesystem used for your Time Machine backups is of a size that will work. I've seen suggested 1.2x to 1.5x the maximum size of data your going to be backing up. This will allow time machine to do at least 1 complete cycle, which is required for it to work correctly.

Your mac has a 250gb drive, so if you believe this could eventually be nearly completely full over time, then you'd then 1.5x that amount, and then this is the amount of space you'd need to have a good Time Machine destination.

~Coxy
20th October 2008, 12:33 PM
Make sure to use MBR partition scheme if you do this, because most Windows OSes can't read GPT disks.

viz
20th October 2008, 04:39 PM
Make sure to use MBR partition scheme if you do this, because most Windows OSes can't read GPT disks.

I would not be keen using MBR partition scheme with Time Machine - I would used the scheme that is running on the Mac that you are using - APM (PPC) or GUID (Intel). Apple support seems to think that TM on MBR partition drives can cause problems.

Mac OS X 10.5: Time Machine stops backing up to external disk (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1550?viewlocale=en_US)

Otherwise I think that you idea will work

viz

EDIT: The above advice re APM and GUID is for *bootable* disks. If you do not want to boot off the backup disk, GUID is fine. I still would not use MBR, based on personal experience with TM