PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook - Battery Light Not Working

craigc
19th October 2008, 07:21 PM
I just started up my new MacBook (2.0 Ghz) and I have discovered the battery light indicator at the front of the laptop is working at all.

Any ideas????

DeanCorp
19th October 2008, 07:22 PM
I guess you could try take out the battery and put it back in. Try press the button while it is charging. If all else fails take it back and get another MacBook.

decryption
19th October 2008, 07:24 PM
Remember, you need to press the button for it to show you the battery status. It's not permanently on.

Tom125
19th October 2008, 07:26 PM
New as in new new new just released this week new?

I'm not sure about those, but for the white macbooks the light at the front is the sleep indicator, not the battery indicator. As decryption said, that's on the actual battery and you have to press the button to get it to light up.

decryption
19th October 2008, 07:26 PM
New as in new new new just released this week new?

I'm not sure about those, but for the white macbooks the light at the front is the sleep indicator, not the battery indicator. As decryption said, that's on the actual battery and you have to press the button to get it to light up.

On the new MacBooks, the battery indicator is on the side ,not on the battery like past MacBooks. I presume the OP has the new MacBook. If not, then it's on the bottom :p

Tom125
19th October 2008, 07:31 PM
On the new MacBooks, the battery indicator is on the side ,not on the battery like past MacBooks. I presume the OP has the new MacBook. If not, then it's on the bottom :p

Fair enough, I didn't know that about the new ones... don't want to salivate over them too much and find out all the details or I might find myself handing over my credit card when I really really don't need a new computer and my current macbook works perfectly! :P

craigc
19th October 2008, 07:35 PM
I really am an idiot. I am embarrassed to say that I was looking at the Infared receiver at the front.

I cant believe how easy everything has been so far. Having only started up the Mac 30 minutes ago everything so far is perfect. I have connected to the network, downloaded updates. Being a PC user, I am looking for things to go wrong - but so far so good.

There is just one more thing I wanted to ask regarding mouse control. I am a person that always has their mouse at maximum Tack Speed. I have made this adjustment in the Preferences section but I have noticed that when I move the mouse really slowly the cursor only move a small amount, whereas if I move it quickly it moves a long way. With the PC, it moves the same distance regardless of the speed. It is just a little bit strange at the moment, but I am sure I will get use to it. I guess the idea is to have greater precision at slower speeds. Is there any way to override this.

I am using a Logitech Mouse.

Tom125
19th October 2008, 07:42 PM
I really am an idiot. I am embarrassed to say that I was looking at the Infared receiver at the front.

No problem! :D

I cant believe how easy everything has been so far. Having only started up the Mac 30 minutes ago everything so far is perfect. I have connected to the network, downloaded updates. Being a PC user, I am looking for things to go wrong - but so far so good.

There is just one more thing I wanted to ask regarding mouse control. I am a person that always has their mouse at maximum Tack Speed. I have made this adjustment in the Preferences section but I have noticed that when I move the mouse really slowly the cursor only move a small amount, whereas if I move it quickly it moves a long way. With the PC, it moves the same distance regardless of the speed. It is just a little bit strange at the moment, but I am sure I will get use to it. I guess the idea is to have greater precision at slower speeds. Is there any way to override this.

Glad you're enjoying your new MacBook!

On the mouse, I'm not sure you can change it. I find that if you have it at 2/3 speed it works well - you get finer control when you slow down and then you can move the mouse quickly to make the pointer move quickly. Best of both worlds! :)

Someone else might have a better suggestion though.

MissionMan
19th October 2008, 07:51 PM

Hey Craig, welcome to the mac club. I switched in March and I'll never go back to windows.

elnewb
19th October 2008, 08:02 PM

This is because OS X is smarter when it comes to detecting mouse movement. Generally if you are going slow you want precision and when you are going fast you want distance.

MrJesseRoss
19th October 2008, 08:34 PM
I love that speed is relative to cursor distance. It's so much more precise.

craigc
19th October 2008, 09:04 PM
I sure that this is something I will just get use to. I can understand the rationale for why it works this way. It is just a bit strange at the moment.