PDA

View Full Version : How Much Ram Do I Need? And Other Stuff

swherdman
3rd May 2005, 08:22 PM
I am currentley in the market for a new laptop and after much consideration i have desided to give apple a shot, But i am just wondering how much ram i should get? i am looking at the 15" Powerbook (with combo drive as i have a dvd burner at home) and was trying to work out, should i get more ram? I am sort of the person who will tend to run quite a few programs at a time and will proberley be running, office photoshop dreamweaver and a webserver most of the time

also is it worth the extra $$ for the extra 0.17ghz processer power in the version with the super drive?

decryption
3rd May 2005, 08:39 PM
You certainly want more RAM. However, buy the Powerbook and the RAM from an Apple Reseller, Apple will gouge you on the RAM from the onlien store :)
I'd recommend 1GB for nice smooth operation.

I also don't think it's worth extra for the 170MHz either :P

waynie
3rd May 2005, 08:44 PM
If you are planning on doing anything in 3D, or any gaming in any form, you may want to consider the 1.67 GHZ model, not just because of the 1.67GHz, but because this model is upgradable to a 128Mb graphics card, whereas the 1.5GHz model is not. I was quoted at $155 for the graphics card update, but its a custom build from Singapore so expect a 3 - 4 week wait.

If you arent planning on doing any of the above, this wont be a problem for you.

bender
3rd May 2005, 08:48 PM
The RAM is definately worth the money; the difference between 512 and 1GB is pretty big.

swherdman
3rd May 2005, 09:06 PM
So the ram maks a diffrence thanks!

Jut on the note of the video upgrade, Yea i was looking at that but this toy will mostley be used for school works and a bit of design. Ill stick to windows for gameing as you have to admit there are more games and they are cheaper, But i dont think i will see any real justafiable performance increase for what i am doing.

Also, Anyone know the rough build time to get the extra ram?
(planning on getting it from david jones so i can pay it off over time(david jones card)

Edge
3rd May 2005, 09:11 PM
Without having a PowerBook to test on, I agree that the step up from 512MB to 1GB will be worthwhile. My Cube is maxed out with 1.5GB and I didn't notice much difference when only 1GB was running in general use.

swherdman
3rd May 2005, 09:33 PM
decryption: What do you meen buy it from an apple resailer? do they sell it cheaper seperatley or something?

soulman
3rd May 2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by swherdman@May 3 2005, 08:22 PM
also is it worth the extra $$ for the extra 0.17ghz processer power in the version with the super drive?
If you don't need the SuperDrive then downgrade it to a Combo and save $230 on the 1.67 model. I'd go for the extra VRAM and the bigger drive myself but this may not be worth your while.

Definitely go for an extra 512 or even 1GB of RAM. Particularly for a portable - the more RAM, the less they hit the disk and the longer you get on battery. Buying memory from a reseller and installing it yourself is the cheapest way of doing it.

bender
3rd May 2005, 10:59 PM
decryption: What do you meen buy it from an apple resailer? do they sell it cheaper seperatley or something?

Buying the RAM separately from a reseller (eg. Next Byte) does turn out much cheaper. Do what I did - I bought the 15 inch PB with the upgraded VRAM, and then bought the RAM separately, saves yourself a wad of cash.

mayamore
3rd May 2005, 11:34 PM
I just bought an extra 512 Mb ram for my powerbook. Now have 1Gb. Have definitely noticed a big difference.
Bought it online from Streetwise - paid $148 delivered. Much cheaper that buying from Apple. Very easy to install as well

simonpeng
5th May 2005, 01:42 AM
I just bought extra 1gb for my pb, but still waiting shipping from US.
I will report how it improves my pb when i have them installed.

Galumay
5th May 2005, 02:02 AM
definitely buy the extra ram, the more the better!! peronally i think extra ram gives you more bang for buck than any other extras. as others said buy it from a reseller and install it yourself. have a look on the apple.com site, under support and manuals, the manual for the pb tells you just how easy it is to install.

Hobart
5th May 2005, 02:25 AM
basically I find that 512 is good for basic use and will stumble some what every once and a while but for a continus smooth run you would need 1GB unless you're going to be useing a lot of RAM you would need 2GB but that would be a gigantic useage and usually unnessary. i would recomend getting more RAM but just the 1GB.

edit: the processing power wouldn't make much of a diffrence but it would mean that you could get rid of the dvd-RW device you have unless you need it for another computer, or just want to keep it.

downsys
5th May 2005, 02:45 AM
i'd like to purchase 1GB ram for my iBook G4 from the US...anyone wanna chip in for a bulk-buy? maybe we could get some kind of discount, or at least, cheaper shipping.
cost for one is US$149 + $25 for shipping. works out to be around AU$226. the more the merrier :)

Hobart
5th May 2005, 02:48 AM
you know you can get a discount if you go to the business or education store but i don't know of any bulk buying discounts.

downsys
5th May 2005, 03:12 PM
not ram from Apple direct, but OEM.

invisible
8th May 2005, 02:22 PM
a way to tell how much ram you need is to open 'menu meters' from syst preferences and leave a ram usage meter on your menu bar..

I recently upgraded from 512 - 1gig and didnt notice any difference. looking at the meter now i realise i hardly ever go above 500 being used. and thats with photoshop/dreamweaver/fireworks/imovie running...

headkicker
10th May 2005, 10:40 PM
i asked exactly the same question before geeting 256 + 512mb ram in my new 12 inch powerbook.
everything is just silky smooth. :thumbup:

downsys
10th May 2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by invisible@May 8 2005, 02:22 PM
a way to tell how much ram you need is to open 'menu meters' from syst preferences and leave a ram usage meter on your menu bar..

I recently upgraded from 512 - 1gig and didnt notice any difference. looking at the meter now i realise i hardly ever go above 500 being used. and thats with photoshop/dreamweaver/fireworks/imovie running...
wow...really? that's good to know...maybe i don't need 1gb anyway? coz i normally have about 30mb free whenever i check.

adamman
10th May 2005, 11:32 PM
You could go for a 512 mb stick taking it up to 700+

I did this on my ibook and the mb per $ is much cheaper.

But uneven ram distribution is not allways the best ;)

Currawong
11th May 2005, 05:09 AM
<center>Don&#39;t forget there is now a
MASSIVE RAM THREAD (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6983)
:)</center>

If you&#39;re buying RAM, you can get it from ... anyone who sells RAM&#33; That&#39;s right, it takes commonly available stuff. Only advisory if going to your local chinese dealer (as many of us do), don&#39;t buy cheap generic stuff but buy quality.

simonpeng
14th May 2005, 02:27 AM
I am a very normal user of PB15, I am not doing graphic software and just using web browsing, word processing, photo, mp3 and im.

Before install my extra 1GB, the activity monitor told me that I have about 40~80 MB free memory left depend how many program I opened. I usually opened Safari, Adium, and iTunes.

After install 1 GB ram, it&#39;s total 1,5GB now, I usually keep Safari, IE5.2, Adium, iTunes, Mail, Abiword, iPhoto, and Textedit opened all the time. I still have 250~400 MB left.

Just few days experience with Mac system, I think 1GB is break point. If you can afford to buy 1GB then go for it or at least increase your total ram to 1GB.