PDA

View Full Version : Weird Windows Virus scanner pop up

AcesHoney
15th October 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi all,

Something weird just happened when I was googling kitchen scales, I clicked on an entry for a web site and immediatey a pop up came up on my screen

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/AcesHoney/Picture1.png

I clicked on cancel and it took me straight to another web page and started scanning my system?? then the box popped up and I clicked the cancel red X, it wouldn't let me do it so I forced quit safari...although it is covered in windows stuff, I am still worried

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/AcesHoney/Picture2.png

am I at risk of my system being compromised, I didn't think mac was vunerable to this type of thing??

I am a bit scared at the the moment, can anyone help me out please

Wally
15th October 2008, 04:35 PM
Close it.. it s a fake and it'll do a lot of damage..

It installs a control panel and messes everything right up.

If i were you check your Control Panels in Windows to see if you have anything called Vista Antivirus or XP Antivirus..

Also check your program files directory for anything called that..

If you see anything like that, delete it.

Wally

AcesHoney
15th October 2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Wally, I am a newbie to macs and this has caught me by surprise

I am on a Mac and not running it with windows in boot camp or parallels

Where do I find the program files directory on the mac?

PowerPC
15th October 2008, 04:40 PM
am I at risk of my system being compromised, I didn't think mac was vunerable to this type of thing??

I am a bit scared at the the moment, can anyone help me out please

It's just a webpage designed to look like it's scanning your system, so it can give you the option to fix the malware it'll claim it's found, and lead you through to buy their real virus scanner/install real malware/ask you for credit card info/etc.

On the Mac, it's about as dangerous as looking at a picture of a Windows screenshot, which is basically what it is.

arkenstone
15th October 2008, 04:41 PM
Close it.. it s a fake and it'll do a lot of damage..

It installs a control panel and messes everything right up.

If i were you check your Control Panels in Windows to see if you have anything called Vista Antivirus or XP Antivirus..

Also check your program files directory for anything called that..

If you see anything like that, delete it.

Wally

It can't really do such things on a Mac, but you're right about the fake bit.

It's a website designed to look like an application. It's designed to look like it''s scanning and then finding things on oyur system., Then you'll be promtoed to remove these things, but of course that costs money, so at that point you'll be prompted to pay.

1000% fake. Close the window, move on.

Wally
15th October 2008, 04:41 PM
Well if you are running it with OSX, it'll be fine. It's Windows Specific stuff (I thought you said you were running XP, oh well)

Just restart safari (secondary click on safari in the dock and click force quit, if it comes up again)

Wally

AcesHoney
15th October 2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks heaps guys :)

mattmac
15th October 2008, 05:09 PM
We had this virus at work, "Vista Anti-Virus". Really messed up a few XP machines.. safe on the mac like the other said :)

rmac
18th October 2008, 11:51 PM
what will suck in the future for new OS X users is popups with an OS X theme claiming their Mac is infected and downloads a dmg/pkg file with malware.

MrJesseRoss
19th October 2008, 12:09 AM
I just got that yesterday evening. I went to allmusic.com and it popped up as soon as the page loaded. I quit Safari and reloaded the page, and didn't see it again.

Considering that I have Safari set to block pop-up windows, I found it quite odd.

Exocet
19th October 2008, 02:38 AM
The first prompt was a javascript alert, not an actual popup. I believe its handled slightly differently.