PDA

View Full Version : Austv Widget Released

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 12:55 AM
Hey guys,
I am finally releasing a beta of my AusTv widget.
For those who dont know about it, it is a tv guide widget for Australian users.
The beta supports all states except for NT,ACT and Adelaide.
Support for those states will be added at a later date.
PayTv support will alse be added later.

I have had several people test the beta and results have been good.if you find a bug post it here and i will do all i can to fix it

I have had alot of interest in this widget so i have fasttracked the beta.
The final release will support all states,PayTv and will have eyetv Intergration.

All of my widgets are located at http://www.islayer.net

Enjoy

OziMac
3rd May 2005, 01:04 AM
You are a dude! It's awesome! Can't wait for Pay TV too.

Looking forward to using this very much :D

bender
3rd May 2005, 01:06 AM
Well done mate, keep churning 'em out..

gaehl
3rd May 2005, 01:09 AM
iSlayer looks great I can really use it yet as im in Adelaide but it allready looks more usefully than the Konfabulator version adding channels is easy!

andrewT
3rd May 2005, 01:10 AM
Great stuff.

Are you planning on adding support for ABC2?

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by andrewT@May 3 2005, 02:10 AM
Great stuff.

Are you planning on adding support for ABC2?
i dont have feeds for that so no

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 01:15 AM
Screenshot of the front....

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 01:16 AM
screenshot of the back

MizuInOz
3rd May 2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks...

great work...

:lol:

:ph34r:

Johnny Appleseed
3rd May 2005, 01:18 AM
Good job!

Don't suppose it's possible to do widgets for Australian White & Yellow Pages?

eni
3rd May 2005, 01:45 AM
Amazing! I've been waiting for this. This is one thing I know I will use _All the time_.

Haha, you know I've only installed in 2 minutes ago but have already been surprised by a couple of things that are on right now.

Great work!

Edge
3rd May 2005, 02:33 AM
Perhaps you could create a .torrent of this file to save on all the bandwidth?

aswitcher
3rd May 2005, 02:45 AM
Nice.

Option for "all channels" would be nice.

scruffie
3rd May 2005, 05:47 AM
Excellent!
Now how do we build a shrine in your honor? :)

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 06:50 AM
thannks everyone.evern though its only been out for a few hours and considering how late it was im happy with the download numbers ive got so far.
the responses here and at the other forums ive posted have been good and one person even offered to donate money

hope your all enjoying the widget :)

Devski
3rd May 2005, 07:59 AM
I like it.

To get picky (and at the risk of being shot down in flames), the font's don't look right for 'Channel Added' on the back and 'AusTV' on the front.

But if that's all there is to whine about, then you can be fairly happy.

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 08:09 AM
yeah they are just using the default fonts.
ill fix that for the next beta or release or whatever it ends up being :)

walexx
3rd May 2005, 08:32 AM
Awesome job islayer. This is one widget I will get some really good use out of. Do you plan on adding pay to it ?. I suppose that would be a big job, even without it though, you have saved alot of people alot of time looking up the tv guide so well done mate.

I look forward to seeing more of your creations in the future :).

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by walexx@May 3 2005, 09:32 AM
Awesome job islayer. This is one widget I will get some really good use out of. Do you plan on adding pay to it ?.
yup paytv support is coming

the_OM
3rd May 2005, 09:27 AM
Woah, how slick is that. It looks awesome.
And I love your site design by the way!

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 09:35 AM
thanks.
Disko did the site design for me.im very happy with it :)
i have atleast one more widget to laucnh today.
its a simple fortune cookie widget.

walexx
3rd May 2005, 09:39 AM
I had a really warped idea for a widget the other day. I think alot of people would download it just for the fun of it. Unfortunately I have no idea how to make this stuff, but anyway, the idea is a "Ring" (in reference to the movie The Ring) widget.

It would have a kinda bright white ring design with a fuzzy white counter in the middle. When you open it, it will commence a 7day count down. It needs to some how be able to continue counting down evern after u have put the puter to sleep or turned it off, and at the end of the 7 days a random message will appear.

I just thought it would be fun, but everyone Ive told thinks its sick :(. Oh well, that was my attempt at a totally useless but fun widget :).

noisypoppy
3rd May 2005, 09:45 AM
what would be even better would be if at the end of the 7 day countdown an animation of that creepy girl would play on your screen
:{D=

gmask1
3rd May 2005, 09:52 AM
I'll be grabbing this widget later on.

On a side note, if you need space/bandwidth for storing these kind of things, I'd be happy to lend a hand, as I've got stacks. :)

walexx
3rd May 2005, 09:52 AM
what would be even better would be if at the end of the 7 day countdown an animation of that creepy girl would play on your screen
:{D

Oh yeah that would be soo cool, great idea. Maybe the girl can appear and then a message appears. The idea of a random message is so that you can use it more than once, so that everytime the 7days are up, a different message appears, but its gotta be creepy in a fun kind of way :).

Personally, I think it would be huge cause alot of people out there have warped senses of humour and they would download it to see what the message at the end says :).

Well, atleast I know someone else (noisypoppy) appreciates my crazy idea :).

Ooops sorry islayer this thread is about your tv widget, I didnt mean to get off the subject

Optogamut
3rd May 2005, 10:13 AM
That's great islayer!

Comments/suggestions:
- Pity about the ABC2, that would be handy.
- I find the free to air digital a bit redundant, it's always the same as the regular free to air isn't it?
- Also, when you add multiple channels at once, maybe the "channel added" note should disappear when you use the drop down again? otherwise you don't see that you're adding successive channels.

but great work, probably the most useful widget I've got so far!!

lavo
3rd May 2005, 10:14 AM
Great work islayer! Looks great and works well. Looking foward to the Eyetv intergration later on. Also, is the list going to be expanded for bigger listings? ie Click on the channel logo and it brings up a 7 day list on a web page, where you can program an eyetv?

walexx
3rd May 2005, 10:18 AM
Actually how about the ability to maybe click on a say "+" symbol on the channel and get the next few hours listings so that you can see whats on later in the day ?

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Optogamut@May 3 2005, 11:13 AM

- I find the free to air digital a bit redundant, it's always the same as the regular free to air isn't it?

correct.
the channels are using the exact same feed as free to air.
they are there ofr eyetv intergration as digital and hi def have different channel numbers so i need to be able to tell which one they want

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by gmask1@May 3 2005, 10:52 AM
I'll be grabbing this widget later on.

On a side note, if you need space/bandwidth for storing these kind of things, I'd be happy to lend a hand, as I've got stacks. :)
might take you up on that later :)

lavo
3rd May 2005, 10:56 AM
Actually, I just looked at your xml for the various stations and see there is only one day for each station. Adding extra hours like walexx suggested would be possible, but days in advance may be not :-) Quite clever having the data downloaded from your site, which avoids any other tv sites getting testy about mass amounts of people ripping data from their sites :-)

Squozen
3rd May 2005, 10:57 AM
Nice first attempt! It seems a bit bulky to me though. I'd prefer one window rather than separate 'bulbs'.

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Squozen@May 3 2005, 11:57 AM
Nice first attempt! It seems a bit bulky to me though. I'd prefer one window rather than separate 'bulbs'.
i dont mind that comment.eventually it will be skinable so you cna change it

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by walexx@May 3 2005, 11:18 AM
Actually how about the ability to maybe click on a say "+" symbol on the channel and get the next few hours listings so that you can see whats on later in the day ?
there will be a seperate version of the widget that lets you go further ahead.it will let you view up to an entire day for a single channel at a time

WonderBoy
3rd May 2005, 11:17 AM
I just installed it. Does just like you said and looks professional. I can't thank you enough.

Atomac
3rd May 2005, 12:14 PM
Most impressive iSlayer, most impressive. I am blown away to be honest, even though it has only limited functionality for me at the moment. Any feeds available for regional WA?

How does one get hold of the toolkit to develop these? Is it part of the Tiger Developers tools? I am inspired!

mac_man_luke
3rd May 2005, 12:41 PM
If you need more bandwidth i got stacks as well

gbuikstra
3rd May 2005, 06:37 PM
Good job.....looks great
Will you be adding regional centers such as south coast, north coast for Win TV and Capital etc.

DJY
3rd May 2005, 06:48 PM
Looks great and I'm hoping for the ACT or Canberra options soon so I can start using it!

I do like the ideas of slightly changing the acknowledgement of how / when you add channels... and also the option of clicking on an area to give maybe the next two shows as well!

Great job!

mikeb.aus81
3rd May 2005, 07:04 PM
Congrats iSlayer, the widget looks and works great. As said above it could shrink a little, our dashboards are pretty empty now but i can only image what it will be like in months to come. We'll all be trying to arrange our widgets to all fit on. Kudos to you with the development for one of the most useful widgets. I never have a TV guide cause i read online news so this is a godsend. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: Spelling

decryption
3rd May 2005, 07:26 PM
I think iSlayer shoudl change his Forum Title to "Widget Master" or something :P
Good job mate :)

Squozen
3rd May 2005, 07:30 PM
One more thing I noticed - if you option-mouse over the widgets you've created, the close button isn't in the normal spot in the top left. It's detached from the widget by quite a way. Sorry for nitpicking. :)

warren21
3rd May 2005, 07:38 PM
Hey I would love to see a movie seesion widget for Hoyts or Village (I'm a real movie buff). Maybe you could incorporate both and have the option on the back panel to choose which cinema.

Cheers.

iSlayer
3rd May 2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@May 3 2005, 08:30 PM
One more thing I noticed - if you option-mouse over the widgets you've created, the close button isn't in the normal spot in the top left. It's detached from the widget by quite a way. Sorry for nitpicking. :)
ill fix that up :)
it was left over from the very frist version many weeks ago

listohan
3rd May 2005, 08:08 PM
Great widget! And here was I beginning to miss Sherlock. It would be nice if one could make the window a little narrower (or wider) as the desktop gets more cluttered with widgets like this!

WJMoore
3rd May 2005, 10:21 PM
Great start iSlayer. One comment though, is it really necessary to distribute wget with the widget? Would it not be possible for curl (ships with OS X by default) to do the same job? There's also the small matter of distributing a binary version of a GPL program without the GPL attached. :)

Johnny Appleseed
4th May 2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed@May 3 2005, 01:18 AM
Good job!

Don't suppose it's possible to do widgets for Australian White & Yellow Pages?
Just asking the question again

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by WJMoore@May 3 2005, 11:21 PM
Great start iSlayer. One comment though, is it really necessary to distribute wget with the widget? Would it not be possible for curl (ships with OS X by default) to do the same job? There's also the small matter of distributing a binary version of a GPL program without the GPL attached. :)
noted.someone else mentioned curl and ill look into it.

there will be a new version of the widget by sunday which will have paytv support and hopefully darwin and possibly adelaide support

check my site today as i will be launching 2 new widgets sometime today

Galumay
4th May 2005, 08:10 AM
islayer,

i seem to be missing something!? I have downloaded the zip file and unzipped it and i cant find how to make it work! i am sure i am missing something obvious??

i presume it works in panther??

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 08:14 AM
no tiger only.
it uses dashboard which is only in tiger

markh
4th May 2005, 08:26 AM
Tivo support? ;-) (for the series 1 tivos)

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 08:28 AM
hmm how exactly ?
what kind of support ?

markh
4th May 2005, 08:34 AM
Weel,, maybe its more for a widget by itself.. Show whats curently playing on the Tivo.. Believe there is a xml stream (i could be wrong) that ha sthis info.. Just point it to the ip.. Anyways, just an idea

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 08:36 AM
probably not the easiest thing for me to do without a tivo....

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 09:09 AM
im considering another new feature for the widget.
Searching...
because the feeds are stored locally it would make searching a possibility.
there are times when your feeds may be upto 6 days ahead and other days when they are only 1 day ahead so sometimes seaching will be wonderful and sometimes not.

id love to hear your thoughts about searching anyway

zerogeewhiz
4th May 2005, 09:23 AM
Sensational work my dear fellow.

Why not add yourself a PayPal donate button? You might get a couple of pleasant surprises...

z.

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 09:27 AM
will do.ive had a few people ask that.
it will be on there tonight :)

Squozen
4th May 2005, 01:22 PM
Right now I use a few perl/python scripts to dredge btefnet for torrents and automatically download them, but there are some BBC documentaries I always miss because I never turn the TV on. A widget that could accept a list of subjects and display when they were screening would be handy to me.

For example: I could put a wildcard of 'documentary' into a widget and it would show me all of them screening in the coming week. Or I could choose 'Simpsons' (assuming I watched it) and see every session time. I don't know how much information the site you're dragging provides though.

edit: If nobody else does something like this I'll probably find time to put one together myself. I don't expect there's many that share my near-total lack of interest in television.

gmask1
4th May 2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@May 4 2005, 01:22 PM
Right now I use a few perl/python scripts to dredge btefnet for torrents and automatically download them, but there are some BBC documentaries I always miss because I never turn the TV on. A widget that could accept a list of subjects and display when they were screening would be handy to me.

For example: I could put a wildcard of 'documentary' into a widget and it would show me all of them screening in the coming week. Or I could choose 'Simpsons' (assuming I watched it) and see every session time. I don't know how much information the site you're dragging provides though.

edit: If nobody else does something like this I'll probably find time to put one together myself. I don't expect there's many that share my near-total lack of interest in television.
I know what would make me use this... (brace yourselves, this could get bumpy :) )

If this exact search mechanism could pipe it's results into a cron job that - assuming there was a tv tuner installed - could record whatever programs matched the search criteria, up to a certain amount of disk space. Then at some point I could go back through and check out whatever got recorded, delete or archive it, and repeat.

In your Simpsons example, it would record any programs that contained the word Simpsons in the title, so that I could catch up with them later.

Meanwhile, back in reality, I was trying the TV widget, and found that it just kind of sat there with no programs displayed, just 'Now, Next, Later' in each selected channel.

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by gmask1@May 4 2005, 02:34 PM
Meanwhile, back in reality, I was trying the TV widget, and found that it just kind of sat there with no programs displayed, just 'Now, Next, Later' in each selected channel.
must have been a prob downloading the feeds.
go to the folder ~/Library/AusTv/ and see if there is anything in there.
check from the terminal aswell.ive seen once or twice you end up with a hidden zip files for some reason.i have had a hard time diagnosing it because its rare

gmask1
4th May 2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 4 2005, 01:41 PM
check from the terminal aswell.ive seen once or twice you end up with a hidden zip files for some reason.i have had a hard time diagnosing it because its rare
NP, will check tonight.

You know what would be another good time-distracting widget (and might actually be possible) - a model railway set. Trains go forward, backward, stop. Points to change.

I'll just get my coat. :P

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 01:56 PM
yeah please report back on that.
im having a very hard time working out whats casuing it.
maybe when i replace wget with curl it will go away.......

you can manually download the feeds from here
http://islayer.net/widgets/AusTvfeedsData.zip

just make sure you move it to ~/Library/AusTv/ then unzip it.
you should have a folder caller AusTvFeedsData and text file called updateTimes.txt or something.
been to long since i looked at it :)

Rayd
4th May 2005, 03:57 PM
works perfectly for me on 425 :) i must say! great work on the widget islayer!!! cant wait to see the newer beta's!

listohan
4th May 2005, 04:16 PM
A different approach

http://www.monkeybusinesslabs.com/tv.html

Do doubt with data that is no use to us.

applecollector
4th May 2005, 04:30 PM
No really it looks extreamly good, i wish i had tiger to use it on.
I wounder if i have the tiger beta version would it work on that??????

DJY
4th May 2005, 06:23 PM
I also think it looks great!

Wish Canberra was an option!

Also islayer how about the ability to re-order the channel display list?
9e.g. move a channel up or down)....

and the ability to remove a channel?

bullrout
4th May 2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 4 2005, 01:41 PM
I have the same problem & I do not have a ~/Library/AusTv/ folder.

gmask1
4th May 2005, 06:40 PM
Hey iSlayer, I want to run something by you... in your functions.js, you reference the directory /Users/<username>/Library... except I&#39;ve moved my home directory off the main drive, so it&#39;s not in /Users/blah, but it can be found in ~/Library/Widgets.

Is this any help?

EDIT: You could also reference &#036;HOME/Library/blah if you wanted to (type env at the prompt to give you environment variables)

wise
4th May 2005, 08:34 PM
hey iSlayer,

so happpppy when i found this widget&#33;&#33; and so fast&#33;

However i am having the same problems as above... all feed data has been downloaded and is in the correct directory.. ~/Library/..........

but as above my home directory is on a different drive all the channels are blank in the widget..

thanks in advance&#33;

EDIT: tested this by copying /volumes/dat/Users/XXX/Library/Austv and sticking it in a new directory /users/XXX/Library/Austv (/users/XXX/ did not previously exist). The information then showed :D...

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 09:00 PM
sorry guys i didnt plan for that.
will be fixed in beta2 which will be availble sunday im hoping
you guys will have probs with the updater aswell.
its set to run tomorrow and again on saturday so if you have any probs atleast you know what to do

ttyler
4th May 2005, 09:22 PM
Well done islayer. Nice graphics and nicely coded (but I do think curl is an option). BUT FOR A BETA. good work.

The searching feature would be good, but being able to view more hours or days would be great. For those busy programmers who are missing their favourite show why not add a button next to the time that could add a calendar event into iCal. Then you can use the system to track the show time and notify accordingly a nice side effect would be to allow the widget to sleep correctly.

:thumbup:

gmask1
4th May 2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 4 2005, 09:00 PM
sorry guys i didnt plan for that.
will be fixed in beta2 which will be availble sunday im hoping
you guys will have probs with the updater aswell.
its set to run tomorrow and again on saturday so if you have any probs atleast you know what to do
Thanks for that,

I created the /users/xxx/library/austv directories, and copied the directory structure in there, and everything worked beautifully&#33; So it is just the location of the users home directory that caused the problem.

This is really great stuff (Now that I&#39;ve seen it)&#33;

iSlayer
4th May 2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by zerogeewhiz@May 4 2005, 10:23 AM
Sensational work my dear fellow.

Why not add yourself a PayPal donate button? You might get a couple of pleasant surprises...

z.
paypal link has been added to the bottom of the site :)

iSlayer
5th May 2005, 11:09 AM
well today was the first time the widget would have updated the feeds.
ive had no reports of problems so i take it, it all went well.

lavo
5th May 2005, 12:18 PM
No problems here iSlayer. I like the iCal idea though. Since widgets go to sleep when they are hidden, there is no way we know when our favourite program is coming up.

BTW, does anyone know of a Da Emails widget for Dashboard yet. Mail *still* doesn&#39;t notify if all folders have new mail, only the inbox.

iSlayer
5th May 2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by lavo@May 5 2005, 01:18 PM
No problems here iSlayer. I like the iCal idea though. Since widgets go to sleep when they are hidden, there is no way we know when our favourite program is coming up.

widgets only go to "sleep" if you tell them too.i told the widget too sleep when dahboard is not active.
if you want an option for it to keep updating when its inactive and notify you of shows then i can add that

lavo
5th May 2005, 01:26 PM
Okay, so that is how widgets the work. No need to keep updating when it is inactive. Maybe the iCal notification could be tied in the with Eyetv programming. Once you make a program, it also creates an iCal notification. Or, it creates an iCal notification that gives the option of creating an Eyetv recording (that way those who don&#39;t have Eyetv can still use the function, those that do have eyetv can be notified and make a recording). Would that be easy to do?

iSlayer
5th May 2005, 01:27 PM
no but ill try :)

lavo
5th May 2005, 02:35 PM
:-) No dramas&#33; I&#39;m guessing combining Applescript with widgets is a pretty difficult thing?

iSlayer
5th May 2005, 02:40 PM
nah its simple but getting the script to do what you want will take some work.

Optogamut
6th May 2005, 12:10 AM
Hi iSlayer,

I know you said you weren&#39;t doing it without the feed for ABC2, is this any good?

feed://www.abc.net.au/syndication/abc2_epg.xml

From the page: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/rss/
Terms of Use
ABC RSS feeds are protected by Australian and international copyright laws and are available for personal, non-commercial use only.

I figure it&#39;s non-commercial, so you should be fine in that regard. Just thought I&#39;d mention it, just in case...

marc
6th May 2005, 12:24 AM
That feed might be the ticket.

If one we had some for the other channels...

iSlayer
6th May 2005, 08:17 AM
ive had a report from one person saying that they have run out of data.
could i please ask everyone to navigate to ~/Library/AusTv/AusTvfeedData/AusTvFeeds/ and look at the dates on the files.
most channels should have data up until the 9th but for those who may have had problems downloading the new feeds yesterday your data will run out today.

I really need feedback on this so i can try and work out whats causing it.its only affected 1 person i know of but 1 person had probs during the inital setup which is linked with this,

Thanks for your help

ttyler
6th May 2005, 09:42 AM
Ok..

Mine is still listed as 4th of May. Just did a force refresh and all xml documents are still listed as 4/5/05...

I did a force refresh on the widget and then clicked on what I thought was a manual refresh of the data. No log entries, no connections listed etc....

:-o

iSlayer
6th May 2005, 09:47 AM
what are the actual dates int he file names.
like the channels have "free.brisbane.ten_2005-05-05"
its the date there i need
ive all is working the date there will range from the 3rd or 4th or something till the 9th i think

Optogamut
6th May 2005, 10:12 AM
most of mine list up to the 9th, though I&#39;ve got a few that only go till the 8th

iSlayer
6th May 2005, 10:17 AM
yup thats normal.
it will update itself again tomorrow.
anytime after midnight tonight.
afetr that you will probably have data for 5-6 days i reckon

7th May 2005, 10:56 AM
mine updated this morning when i woke my computer up and started to display nothing where the tv programs should be.
in my library- austv folder there was only a file by this name: AusTvfeedsData.zip.1 i removed the .1 from the end and unzipped it and everything is working again. i just thought that i&#39;d let you know.

iSlayer
7th May 2005, 11:04 AM
thanks.
im looking into the problem.
the widget is set to delete the old zip files so this doesnt happen but it must have gone wrong.i will have a fix for it

ttyler
7th May 2005, 09:58 PM
the last files I got were modified at 9.01pm yesterday.... all channels updated. I checked my wifes and hers has done the same.

Its all good....

the_OM
7th May 2005, 10:48 PM
Hey iSlayer, installed tiger today and got your widgets.
They are fucken awesome. The tv one is awesome.
You should set-up a paypal account and let people donate if they want to.

Can&#39;t wait to see what other stuff you put up.

DJY
7th May 2005, 11:48 PM
I believe he has set up a paypal link on his site (at the bottom of the page)

Any timeline on Canberra inclusion yet islayer?

marc
8th May 2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah, paypal is at the base of the his www.islayer.net (http://www.islayer.net) site.

AusTV and Red Carpet are due for upgrades soon... maybe in the next week. There&#39;s a couple of other smaller widgets that will be done first though :)

iSlayer
8th May 2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by DJY@May 8 2005, 12:48 AM
I believe he has set up a paypal link on his site (at the bottom of the page)

Any timeline on Canberra inclusion yet islayer?
no not yet.
it will take several hours a week to manually create the feeds for canberra and im busy with updating widgets and bvuilding new ones right now.

it will come :)

iSlayer
8th May 2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@May 7 2005, 11:48 PM
Hey iSlayer, installed tiger today and got your widgets.
They are fucken awesome. The tv one is awesome.
You should set-up a paypal account and let people donate if they want to.

Can&#39;t wait to see what other stuff you put up.
thankyou :)

and as the others said i do have a paypal link at the bottom of the site

Johnny Appleseed
9th May 2005, 01:48 AM
Re: widgets going to "sleep", is that how most of them work?

i.e. is it OK to let my Mac go to sleep and lose its Internet connection if the Dashboard is hidden?

marc
9th May 2005, 01:51 AM
Yep.

They&#39;ll just reload next time you open Dashboard.

adamjc
10th May 2005, 01:38 PM
Just donated

iSlayer
10th May 2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@May 10 2005, 02:38 PM
Just donated
Very mcuh appreciated :)

tempestas
12th May 2005, 09:47 PM
iSlayer - widget looks great but I have the blank fields issue.

In the folder the latest names are "free.sydney.SBS_2005-05-11.xml"

Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I click the refesh button but only seems to catch me up to yesterday?

13th May 2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 123@May 7 2005, 10:56 AM
mine updated this morning when i woke my computer up and started to display nothing where the tv programs should be.
in my library- austv folder there was only a file by this name: AusTvfeedsData.zip.1 i removed the .1 from the end and unzipped it and everything is working again. i just thought that i&#39;d let you know.
it seemed to "update" again this morning but now the folder is empty :huh:

iSlayer
17th May 2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.islayer.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7 for a temp fix.

im running a new version of the widegt that has a completely new updating system and so far its been flawless which has been good

iSlayer
18th May 2005, 08:00 AM
Marc and I have been working very hard on AusTv lately and we have finished the new skins.Beta 2 is getting close.Austar support is added so i jut have to do Foxtel

Here are the new skins.i hope you like them(mock of the new back at bottom)

http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/blue.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/graphite.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/green.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/orange.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/pink.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/purple.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/silver.png
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/back.png

Kuma
18th May 2005, 08:20 AM
looking very nice

iSlayer
18th May 2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks Kuma.
id love to hear other opinions.Marc worked very hard on the skins and as far as i concerned they are awesome.
I was having such a hard time working out which one to use we decided to add a "random" option :)

BigAD
18th May 2005, 08:49 AM
The new skins are looking great, much cleaner than the current one.

dil_baby
18th May 2005, 09:02 AM
The news skins are very cool indeed&#33; :thumbup:
Now I don&#39;t need to bother finishing this weather-widget-style mod:
http://img287.echo.cx/img287/6114/picture20tr.png

Keep up the good work islayer&#33; :D

marc
18th May 2005, 04:49 PM
dil_baby :: There will also be an option to have mono station logos like your skin as I&#39;d prefer these to the coloured ones.

Feel free to reskin it when it&#39;s released. The skins are built in a very simple way that should allow you to do some good things with them. I&#39;d also love to see one from Disko, as he did the original AusTV skin.

:)

Rayd
18th May 2005, 04:57 PM
great stuff islayer&#33; :) love it.. but i think we can do without the AUS pic at the bottom maybe you can do a "Fill" of your own logo on there instead&#33; :)

DJY
18th May 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@May 18 2005, 04:57 PM
great stuff islayer&#33; :) love it.. but i think we can do without the AUS pic at the bottom maybe you can do a "Fill" of your own logo on there instead&#33; :)
I concur - the skins look great&#33;
But the wide band at the bottom with the map of Aust is quite thick.
The example you have there only have two channels being displayed - which means add in the usual compliment - and the widget is going to be huge&#33; Maybe just replicate the frame from the top?
Size wise that was a number of people&#39;s concerns about the radar widget... it unfortunately was just to big.

Even just having FTA without any Foxtel or Austar lists means many will want 5 or 6 channels to display.

Did Canberra make the cut for Beta 2?

creativeshed
18th May 2005, 06:53 PM
iSlayer, thank you for your work. If you end up setting up mirror sites for download I&#39;m happy to help out :thumbup:

iSlayer
18th May 2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/skins/blue_small.png

stevie
18th May 2005, 07:24 PM
The new skins compliment this great app and make it look better than ever.

Keep up the good work islayer.

Steve

DJY
18th May 2005, 08:12 PM
I like your latest post islayer&#33; sans map of Aust.

Looks great&#33;

marc
19th May 2005, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I like the short base as well.

I&#39;m amending the artwork now.

Rayd
19th May 2005, 01:07 PM
great stuff :) now thats a good skin :D

marc
21st May 2005, 09:43 PM
We have a come to a compromise for the base.

http://www.islayer.net/widgetmockups/austv_betamock.png

The good news is that we&#39;re getting closer to a new beta with the new skin and new features (including mono and colour logos for all free to air stations).

mac_man_luke
21st May 2005, 09:57 PM
Awsome&#33;

DJY
22nd May 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by marc@May 21 2005, 09:43 PM
The good news is that we&#39;re getting closer to a new beta with the new skin and new features (including mono and colour logos for all free to air stations).
Did Canberra make the next beta Marc?

iSlayer
22nd May 2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by DJY@May 22 2005, 10:23 AM
Did Canberra make the next beta Marc?
no it didnt.
until i can come up with simple way to get the data it wont be there.
sorry

22nd May 2005, 12:02 PM
how is pay tv coming along? fox digital in particular.

iSlayer
22nd May 2005, 12:46 PM
its going good.
it will be included in the next beta which im working hard on to try and release it today

Foxtel supports 42 channels
Austar supports 37 channels

22nd May 2005, 12:50 PM
i can&#39;t wait, thanks for doing this :)

adamjc
22nd May 2005, 12:55 PM
Pay TV will be awesome&#33;&#33;&#33;

Your AusTV widget will be the first I download when the iMac arrives, cant wait.

Thanks for the hard work islayer&#33;

Adam

conditionals
22nd May 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 3 2005, 12:55 AM
The beta supports all states except for NT,ACT and Adelaide.
Support for those states will be added at a later date.

Rad widget&#33;

Also, none of those are states.

iSlayer
22nd May 2005, 02:28 PM
Another teaser

http://www.islayer.net/widgets/austv/austvpreview.png

walexx
22nd May 2005, 02:31 PM
cmon, enough with the teaser, let us have it :). You have done an awesome job with the tv widget islayer, so yeah, im really looking forward to when it comes out. When will that be ??

marc
22nd May 2005, 02:36 PM
LOL @ Eastenders, Eastenders, Eastenders, Eastenders, Eastenders, Eastenders...

iSlayer
22nd May 2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by walexx@May 22 2005, 03:31 PM
When will that be ??
today hopefully....

zebraman
22nd May 2005, 04:21 PM
Sames as Adamjc....as soon as the new iMac G5 arrives this will be 1st download....

Now I can see when Arsenal ( Current FA Cup Winners ) are playing at the click of a mouse from Foxsports and ESPN

zeddie2001
22nd May 2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by islayer@May 22 2005, 02:42 PM
today hopefully....
*holds breath*

DJY
22nd May 2005, 09:38 PM
Did Canberra make beta 2?

(fingers crossed)

marc
22nd May 2005, 10:25 PM
No, I don&#39;t think it will be (no easily accessible feed information).

iSlayer
22nd May 2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by zeddie2001@May 22 2005, 10:24 PM
*holds breath*
Dont worry.
we have 56 minutes and its extreamly close to being ready

marc
23rd May 2005, 12:45 AM
It&#39;s out&#33;

adamjc
23rd May 2005, 02:27 AM
How does it get updated?

Sorry if this has been answered...but does it manually have to be updated?

Thanks.

DJY
23rd May 2005, 09:20 AM
You have to manually download it.
I headed over to islayer&#39;s site.
I haven&#39;t seen any widgets that have a built in Check For Updates... or Upgrade option inside the widget.

(If that was you question).
I also deleted the beta 1 out of my User/Library/Widgets directory as well before I downloaded beta 2

iSlayer
23rd May 2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by adamjc@May 23 2005, 03:27 AM
Sorry if this has been answered...but does it manually have to be updated?

im assuming you mean the feed data.
if so here is the answer.....

The first time you run the widget it will download the latest feeds in a zip file.

in the zip file there is a folder and a text file.
the folder contains the feeds
the text file contains unix timestamps

every time you activate the widget and every 60 second when its active it will open that text file and it will look at the time.
if the current system time is after the time in the text file it will try and download the feeds.
if your not connected to the net it will do nothing until you connect

Hope thats what you were after

adamjc
23rd May 2005, 10:36 AM
Yep that was it&#33; Thanks islayer. So basically it updates itself...very cool.

Thanks.