PDA

View Full Version : Questions about wifi

oniichan94
15th October 2008, 03:39 PM
I have a iPhone 3G from Virgin (Australia) with a 1GB internet usage. I want to be completely sure that I am right before I start connecting my iPhone to my wireless internet. Would I be right in thinking that:

-If my iPhone is connected to my home WiFi network, my iPhone will NOT download off from the Virgin 3G network and hence NOT use up my 1GB data allowance?

-Is the 'Cellular Network Data' listed under Settings>General>Usage, the amount of mobile browsing usage I have used?
- If the CND is listed as 0 bytes, I will NOT have used up any of my 1GB data allowance, assuming I have never connected my iPhone to the internet ever?

Any replies would be helpful, thanks in advance.

shihyuan
15th October 2008, 03:47 PM
As far as I know, while you are on wifi your iPhone will not use data.

The usage only shows the usage for data so therefore wifi usage is not included in the usage.

If it shows 0 bytes then it means you have not use any of your data yet on your iPhone.

viz
15th October 2008, 06:45 PM
-If my iPhone is connected to my home WiFi network, my iPhone will NOT download off from the Virgin 3G network and hence NOT use up my 1GB data allowance?

-Is the 'Cellular Network Data' listed under Settings>General>Usage, the amount of mobile browsing usage I have used?
- If the CND is listed as 0 bytes, I will NOT have used up any of my 1GB data allowance, assuming I have never connected my iPhone to the internet ever?

Got exackerly the same plan on the same phone and just got me first bill. Run a WiFi network (Airport Express). iPhone hooks up to the WiFi seamlessly and automatically when I walk into the house and does all internet activity through that rather than 3G. Of course when I leave the house, 3G takes over. All the places I go to regularly, where there is WiFi, phone hooks up automatically (has to be set up at each location first of course).

So you are correct with question 1.

My internet usage quite high via WiFi, and low via 3G. I use the Map app the most, followed by my gmail account followed by Safari. I was a bit worried about the amount of data that I might be using on the road, however total for the month was 23 Mb - nowhere near my 1 Gig data cap

So for question 2 I assume so, but I went to VirginMobile's website to check rather than look at the phone.

Question 3 - yup. Or at least I think so :)

viz

whyaretheycalledgenius
15th October 2008, 08:55 PM
1 GB of data should be heaps!!! I am on a Craptus plan with 700mb and even trying I can't get over about 300mb a month in data usage.