PDA

View Full Version : Wireless For Indigo Imac

shrubber
2nd May 2005, 11:17 PM
I have been looking for a solution for connecting an Indigo iMac to a wireless network using a Netgear modem/firewall/router. My mac mini works beautifully and I plan to connect my G3 Powerbook via a Belkin network card but the iMac has been an issue. An easy solution would be to run a cable from the router to the iMac but it is unfortunately in a completely different part of the house. While trolling around I discovered a Netgear WGE111 Wireless Game Adapter (Ethernet) which has specs that look like it will solve my problem - at around $120 it's certainly cheaper than an Airport card, quoted at around $400 and not 802.11g capable. Has anyone had any experience with this product?

dil_baby
2nd May 2005, 11:22 PM
As long as your prepared to drill some holes in the floor, the computer being on the other side of the house isn't too much of an issue. I've networked all 4 computers in my house by network cables, and they are pretty much in the four corners of my house. You can pick up a network cable long enough pretty cheap on ebay, which would save you quite a bit. Just a thought...

shrubber
2nd May 2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by dil_baby@May 2 2005, 11:22 PM
As long as your prepared to drill some holes in the floor
Thanks for the thought. Hard wiring may be an option but i'm pretty keen on the flexiblity of wireless at this stage.

neilrobinson
2nd May 2005, 11:48 PM
just for your info RRP is $218.90 i can buy it wholesale at $126.50 (all inc gst) so you are also gettting a great deal! :thumbup:

Currawong
3rd May 2005, 05:28 AM
Wow, $400 for an airport card and bracket? That's either a rip-off or you've been quoted the costs of a service part.

There was a thread somewhere in this (Hardware General) forum that discusses USB wireless adapters. They are probably your best option.

napes
3rd May 2005, 11:07 AM
Hey Shrubber
I've got an Aiport Card and iMac bracket - I bought them a while back as I was looking at getting a second iMac to play with but have since decided to buy an iBook instead (once I get the pennies together). Just posted a [FS] in the trading area earlier this morning.

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?a...st=0#entry61087 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=7368&st=0#entry61087)

Thought you may be interested. :)

shrubber
3rd May 2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by neilrobinson@May 2 2005, 11:48 PM
just for your info RRP is $218.90 i can buy it wholesale at $126.50 (all inc gst) so you are also gettting a great deal! :thumbup:
Thanks Neil, Priced the WGE111 at Computer World Online at $119. Seemed pretty good to me.

shrubber
3rd May 2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@May 3 2005, 05:28 AM
Wow, $400 for an airport card and bracket? That's either a rip-off or you've been quoted the costs of a service part.

There was a thread somewhere in this (Hardware General) forum that discusses USB wireless adapters. They are probably your best option.
A rip-off yes! Youre right Currawong, I was told the cards for that model are now priced as spare parts.

On the topic of USB - I haven't read anything very positive when it comes to USB and Macs. I have a D-link USB modem sitting on the shelf at home with a boot print on it! :D

shrubber
3rd May 2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by napes@May 3 2005, 11:07 AM

I've got an Aiport Card and iMac bracket
Thanks napes, I will keep that in mind. Only problem with the older airport cards is the speed limitation.