PDA

View Full Version : Rollover Buttons Not Working...

jarrodb
2nd May 2005, 11:03 PM
I'm just starting out in making webpages with rollover buttons created in Dreamweaver MX 2004. The page works fine in preview and when opened locally however when I upload the site to the FTP server none of the rollover buttons/images work, same goes for anything with a hotspot.

I'm pretty new to this and the stuff I have done to date is pretty simple. Is there something I'm missing in terms of a file(s) that also need to be uploaded in order for the Java Script content to work properly?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a good website that can give some good background on the ins and outs of the web page components (JS, CSS, Flash, etc) that are common in most websites?

Thanks,

jobe
2nd May 2005, 11:20 PM
Most likely you've used the absolute address of each image/file. You have to remember when linking to an image or another page or anything not to use the absolute address of the file. Eg c:\mywebpage\image\ because when you upload it, it will be stored in a completely different location.

You have to use relative addresses. eg image.jpg. In this case, image.jpg is stored in the root folder of your web page which is usually the folder the first page is stored. Sorry if that's a bit vague, it's been a while since I did asp.net development at uni using dreamweaver

jobe
2nd May 2005, 11:28 PM
actually my bad i think that's wrong.

image.jpg will be stored in the SAME folder as the page it's linked from. If you want to access an image in a directory up from the current one you use /../ or is it /.../

sorry just consulting my text book for a moment...

jobe
2nd May 2005, 11:32 PM
ok. sorry. this page (http://www.compugoddess.com/relvsabs.htm) can explain it much better than I could. And whilst it only shows it for anchor tags, the principle is the same for all images and other linked objects

jarrodb
2nd May 2005, 11:36 PM
Hi Jobe,

Thanks for adding a reply. I've correctly referenced the images files (linked up in Dreamweaver and checked) so they are all relative.

Could it be anything else?

jobe
2nd May 2005, 11:56 PM
I really have no idea but a stab in the dark might be limitations with the ftp server?

is it just a plain old html site? no php or asp or anything? Sorry I cannot help any further, we've always used .aspx pages and they needed special hosting software, namely microsoft IIS or similar.

konni
3rd May 2005, 12:28 AM
could be a couple of things really. If you supplied a link to the page in question it would be easier to see if you've actually got the preloaded images in the right place on host server. Also are the hotspots (I gather this is Flash) pointing correctly to whatever it is you want to load?

jarrodb
3rd May 2005, 03:50 PM
Problem solved. Ended up being the name of the images folder, having a capital letter in it!

Well, lesson learned.

Thanks for the help guys.