PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4G - when?

afton
14th October 2008, 08:16 AM
I LOVE the iPhone UI, but the reason I'm not getting an
iPhone now is because 3G connection speed is too slow for me.

Now, when do you guys think Apple is going to release the 4G version? :)
I'm hoping it would be next July!

mechcon
14th October 2008, 08:20 AM
Gee you're asking for a lot aren't you? it's technically capable of doing 6MBPS (it did state that it can do HSDPA).

Ecto1
14th October 2008, 08:21 AM
4G? dont you mean 3rd gen version, after all the 3g iphone is 2nd gen. I don't think we will see a 3rd gen iphone for a while yet, maybe next year we will see a 32gb model. As for a next gen iphone I say give it 5 years.

It funny seeing people bitch about 3g speeds in oz but they all just expect it will improve with 4g. I guess 4g will come with hologram calling.

f1_power
14th October 2008, 08:21 AM
Wait for a 4G network first!

No WiMAX commercial carrier networks yet :p

TheWatchman
14th October 2008, 08:22 AM

Telstra has said they don't see a need for 4G networks yet.

3G is fine :P

WonderBoy
14th October 2008, 08:23 AM
lol, 4G. Good one.

Ecto1
14th October 2008, 08:31 AM
When 4g dose happen maybe the iphone could do this. (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=W53W_zOwG4k&feature=related)

MrJesseRoss
14th October 2008, 08:35 AM
I'm waiting for 5G before I buy an iPhone. Don't want to get stuck with obsolete 3G tech.

(Ecto why is there a Save Get This link in your sig? It ended last year. Before you joined MT.)

elnewb
14th October 2008, 08:39 AM

I hope you realise that the 4G network needs to be in place BEFORE they release a version compatible with it.

Ecto1
14th October 2008, 08:46 AM
(Ecto why is there a Save Get This link in your sig? It ended last year. Before you joined MT.)

I know it ended last year, I was at the final show party. Even though it has ended get this will live on.

arkenstone
14th October 2008, 08:57 AM
It hink I read only a month or two ago that theyr'e starting to do trials of 4G equipment with the aim of ratifying a standard.

Say that takes 18 months, then people build equipment, then it's rolled out.

You're looking at >3 years before a 4g network exists.

Our slow arse data is better than no data, i woulda thought.

i could start muttering about damn kids these days and when I imported a 28.8k modem from the states - THAT was speed, boys and girls. None of this my one megabit MOBILE FUCKING CONNECTION isn't fast enough bullshit.... kids these days)

WonderBoy
14th October 2008, 09:05 AM
I think I read only a month or two ago that theyr'e starting to do trials of 4G equipment with the aim of ratifying a standard.

I seem to remember them doing this with 3G in the year 2000 (or maybe even a bit before then). I think we have time to wait. But maybe Afton is a patient guy.

elnewb
14th October 2008, 09:41 AM
i could start muttering about damn kids these days and when I imported a 28.8k modem from the states - THAT was speed, boys and girls. None of this my one megabit MOBILE FUCKING CONNECTION isn't fast enough bullshit.... kids these days)

Change that to ignorant kids these days. Some of them are quite intelligent.

ethania05
14th October 2008, 09:47 AM
Wouldnt hold your breathe on a 4G anytime soon. Especially not in this country.

jeremy_warnock
14th October 2008, 09:54 AM
there will be a 4g iphone at macworld for sure, apple control the telcos now dont they??

macnwindows
14th October 2008, 09:56 AM

The current 3G connection speed is fast enough for mobile/casual browsing. Some people just like to whine and can't appreciate/enjoy things on hand! Good luck with the wait :thumbup:

blakat
14th October 2008, 09:59 AM
And of course, once 4G is being released 4.5G and 5G will look FREAKING Awesome.. hint: they'll be moist and delicious like cake.

Kuma
14th October 2008, 10:00 AM
Clearly a wind up thread...

only a complete idiot would come on and say they were seriously waiting for 4G...

got to wait for Japan to go 4G first.. and it is nowhere near ready here.

arkenstone
14th October 2008, 10:11 AM
Change that to ignorant kids these days. Some of them are quite intelligent.

I just said kids these days - i made no comment or insinuation on their intelligence or capability..

fother
14th October 2008, 10:18 AM
And of course, once 4G is being released 4.5G and 5G will look FREAKING Awesome.. hint: they'll be moist and delicious like cake.

well, 4.5G will be like cake, but 5G will be like bacon :D

arkenstone
14th October 2008, 02:05 PM
well, 4.5G will be like cake, but 5G will be like bacon :D

best community in-joke I've read all day. Today truely has been a great day on the forums.

matthew858
14th October 2008, 02:44 PM
Today truely has been a great day on the forums.

Bored? So am I (On the internet, I can't tell whether someone is being sarcastic or not).

Kuma
14th October 2008, 04:01 PM
if you really want to know about 4G google docomo toward 4G.

I would link the article, but copy and paste aren't available to me.

Anyway docomo are looking at 4G in 2010. IIRC they were the first to roll out 3G in 2001, and Australia got 3G when??? Pretty safe bet to think that the difference would be replicated (or worse) on the 4G roll out.

retroneo
16th October 2008, 03:26 PM

The iPhone's CPU and flash memory can't keep up with the 3.6Mbit 3G as is!! And Optus's network is having problems and can't keep up with 3G either.

And then we've got 7.2Mbit and 21Mbit 3G upgrades soon!!

There's many years of life left in 3G before LTE comes along.

retroneo
16th October 2008, 03:29 PM
got to wait for Japan to go 4G first.. and it is nowhere near ready here.

There is a reasonable chance that Australia could be the first country to offer LTE. Just as we're still the only country of offer 14.4Mbit HSPA and have had it live nationwide for 18 months.

:-)

grorr76
16th October 2008, 03:38 PM
3g is plenty fast for a phone you have to be kidding lol

kantush
16th October 2008, 08:19 PM

If you haven't got one then how do you know it's too slow for you! :rolleyes:

gelfie
18th January 2009, 06:12 AM
Glad to see others have already pointed out that you're an idiot.

melbmac
18th January 2009, 05:47 PM
There is a 3G iPhone!?!

WoWTopia
18th January 2009, 06:02 PM
4G dosn't exist yet according my reliable sources there already starting to plan how there going to do it ect.. so 4G must exist before a 4G iphone comes.

Piratbyran
18th January 2009, 06:21 PM
Reliable sources? Seeing as 4G isn't even being thought of my the telcos in 99% of places (Australia is barely into 3G), why would apple make a phone capable of such?

Maybe a 'New' iPhone 3G, but hardly a 4G.

kyncaid
18th January 2009, 10:14 PM
You can move to Japan and use a 4G phone today (but they also have 100MB fiber the the house).

Telstra's NextG infrastructure is capable of 14Mbps but there isn't the hardware yet to use it.

so it's a plane ticket or a few years wait...

... plus that hole leaning Japanese thing.

pizonoh150
3rd February 2009, 03:15 AM
Sprint just paid 3 billion dollars to use 4g speeds and its only in baltimore at&t just got there 3g network same with t-mobile but sprint and verizon had 3g speeds since 2001 at&t just got them in 2007 when the iphone 3g came out. Sorry iphone users your going to have 3g speeds for a long time. It cost at&t 3 billion dollars to get 3g a network that has been in use just under 10 years now it sucks but that is why sprint and verizon use cdma phones they are already 3g compatable as sims cards had to be updated.

pizonoh150
3rd February 2009, 03:22 AM
SPRINT HAS 4G SPEEDS but that is why there 3g isnt that fast because there disconecting and reistalling for 4g right now. baltimore is the only place in the U.S with a 4G network and its with sprint verizon will be next as they are going to pay sprint for the upgrade since it cost sprint 3 billion dollars 4g works with non simcard phones.. remember att just got there spotty 3g network.

kyte
3rd February 2009, 03:52 AM

Some of us remember the days when you had to drop a telephone receiver into a cradle and dial that way. I never had one of those, nor a 300/75 baud modem. my 14.4 served me well for a few years to access the local BBSes.

3G is just fine. My concern with 3G data being used a lot, is of the network congestion which seems to have ensued on the Optus network (not everyone's experience is one of congestion but there are an awful lot of people who find that its next to useless). a 4G network is going to entice even more people on board. I say lets not rush into something which is just going to create even more problems.