PDA

View Full Version : Ftp Software

964RSCS
2nd May 2005, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

I usually use Dreamweaver to FTP my files but am having trouble connecting to a new host through DW atm, and am wondering what other options people have used...

I've downloaded CuteFTP and at least this will connect to the host server, but then it won't upload files........

What are people using that DOES work??

I'm also wondering if any firewall settings could be causing the problem.

why haven't I phoned my hosting co? because they are in the US. Will email them, but they may not be able to help...

Cheers

snax
2nd May 2005, 09:33 PM
I use the Terminal. Here's a quick guide.

Apple Shift U brings up the utilities window. Drag the Terminal to your dock.

In the terminal, type

ftp ftp.example.com.au - You can start typing your username now. Press enter, and wait for

Password: - You have to wait for this to come up before you bash in your password. Once you're in, here are a few commands to get you around.

ls - like dir in dos. lists the directory.

cd - changes the directory on your ftp server.

lcd - changes the directory on your machine. for example, lcd ~ would change to my home directory, lcd ~/desktop would change to my desktop.

put or mput - allows you to upload files. usage: put file.txt, or mput *.txt

get or mget - same as above but for downloading.

That should be all, at least that's all i can think of now. Remember to type bye when ya finished ;).

PS. Finder's FTP sucks.

rob05
2nd May 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi

I generally use

Transmit or Fetch

Using the terminal looks interesting.

Rob B)

purana
2nd May 2005, 09:36 PM
Before using mput or mget its sometimes wise to type prompt first. That way your not prompted for a y/n response after each file is finished.

snax
2nd May 2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by iodine@May 2 2005, 09:36 PM
Before using mput or mget its sometimes wise to type prompt first. That way your not prompted for a y/n response after each file is finished.
or instead of typing y when mput asks, you can press a

964RSCS
2nd May 2005, 10:01 PM
Awesome!! Thanks snax, and others. I didn't realise there was such a capability with OSX!!

It is connecting through terminal and listing the files on the host server, just I need to play more and workout some of the commands!1

Cheers

zac
2nd May 2005, 10:09 PM
Transmit rocks! I seriously recommend trying it out.

964RSCS
2nd May 2005, 10:18 PM
happy to zac, looking at all options at the moment...

...terminal really surprised me though - I just had no idea I could ftp from there!

rohanbeckett
2nd May 2005, 10:51 PM
heh..

that's actually a pretty funny comment.. since FTP is one of the oldest communication transports on the internet, and originated from a time before GUI's.. when the command line *was* the only way to use it..

googled a bit and found this: interesting:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc959/2_Overview.html

so FTP was proposed in 1971! (older than my 30 yrs! :)

and here we are, in 2005, and I'm reading a post saying 'wow.. I had no idea you could FTP in the terminal'

*chuckle*

no offense, 964rscs, but you gotta admit, it's pretty funny

RB

hawker
2nd May 2005, 11:33 PM
Never had a problem with Interachy... Works pretty effective!

Currawong
3rd May 2005, 05:21 AM
It could be all you have to do is set Passive (PASV) mode for FTP in Dreamweaver, needed to get it working with firewalls or most broadband modems.

designers_hub
3rd May 2005, 08:17 AM
cyberduck is really good. and its freeware.

964RSCS
3rd May 2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by rohanbeckett@May 2 2005, 10:51 PM
and here we are, in 2005, and I'm reading a post saying 'wow.. I had no idea you could FTP in the terminal'

*chuckle*

no offense, 964rscs, but you gotta admit, it's pretty funny

RB
Yes, well....

I'm not really into the technical side that much! I guess the wow factor was more that OSX had terminal available which could do this - compared to my probably limited knowledge of perhaps being able to do this with Windows aswell (DOS??)- I've just always used dedicated ftp programs or DW, so something as simple as using terminal is very "wow"!!

I downloaded Transmit last night and have uploaded files with it so all is working there, and i have to say Transmit looks to be a pretty good program.

Still no luck with DW though... Have set it to passive FTP mode etc etc etc - feel like i've tried everything!! Thinking I might have to check for a DW update as i have been having a few little problems with it lately....

Thanks again everyone :)

sikosis
3rd May 2005, 11:37 AM
I've been using RBrowser Lite (http://www.rbrowser.com/RBrowserLite/RBrowserLite.html) (freeware) for all my ftp needs ...

Works pretty well ... I just wish there was a shortcut key for deleting files.

WJMoore
3rd May 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@May 3 2005, 08:17 AM
cyberduck is really good. and its freeware.Another vote for Cyberduck (http://cyberduck.ch/). Not only is it free, it's open source and does secure FTP (SFTP) as well.

bender
3rd May 2005, 10:54 PM
One Button FTP.

PyroVesten
4th May 2005, 04:18 AM
I use Transmit. I was using CaptainFTP for a little while but I ran into some issues and switched back to Transmit which I had been previously using.

marc
4th May 2005, 09:07 AM
Transmit is the business.

jbjose
4th May 2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by snax@May 2 2005, 09:33 PM
Apple Shift U brings up the utilities window.
OMG!!!

And all this time I was doing Apple Shift A, util (first few letters), Apple O, term (first few letters also; or instead of term some other apps in the utils dir I don't want in my dock) then Apple O!

glenmorrow
4th May 2005, 09:59 AM
Hey guys
Ok well I went to La Trobe Uni in Bendigo in 1993 and was learning on a unix server, and having the Terminal program brings back all those memories of the Unix shell. FTP was all command line, we use ELM for email, and something called either ntalk or ytalk to chat and tin for news... Sorry I know that last bit was off topic but the thread made me think of it. They had some pretty weird commands when you think about it, like 'finger' to look up whose online etc.

Anyway, someone at RMIT suggested to me to use Fugu (http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/) as an FTP client, so that could be worth a look, haven't tried it myself.

Glen

sikosis
4th May 2005, 10:48 AM
Fugu is SFTP only ...