PDA

View Full Version : Which Video File Format From Imovie

CarbonRods
2nd May 2005, 08:20 PM
Yesterday I used my new digital video camera for the first time, and then edited the resulting clips in iMove 5. I wanted to show off my new movie at work on machines running WK2, but discovered that the new H.264 format will not work on Windows machines.

What format should I select from the huge (and confusing) list of compression types available in expert mode in iMove.

I want something that will work on most machines and that will give me high quality video.

The machines at work have Quicktime installed, but I'm not sure which version. They also have Windows Media Player installed.

I suppose I'm asking what is the video equivalent to the ubiquitous mp3 in the audio world?

CR

marc
3rd May 2005, 04:30 PM
MPEG 1 maybe?

H.264 will work on Windows as soon as Quicktime 7 is available for Windows.

Arkhum_Eramak
3rd May 2005, 04:57 PM
Also AVI (if compressed properly) otherwise stick with DV, its all I ever use (aside from MPEG2)

new2aus
3rd May 2005, 05:29 PM
If I may ask a quick personal question on this subject as well, what format is best for home movies to be saved in so they play on home DVD players so family can get DVD's instead of Vid's ?

snax
3rd May 2005, 05:30 PM
MP4 is quite nice. Plays well with Quicktime cross platform. Don't bother trying Apple Pixlet though - unfortunately it is G4+ only.

Arkhum_Eramak
3rd May 2005, 05:35 PM
MPEG-1 for home DVD players maybe...I dunno, I only use MPEG-2 and DVD studio pro so I guess I'm not really a help.

geektechnu
3rd May 2005, 05:45 PM
MPEG-1 will let you do VideoCD that will work in most DVD players.
Resolution is limited to 352x240 for VCD - Super VideoCD has doubled horizontal resolution, but unfortunately, you are restricted to about 60mins per CD. Trying to use MPEG-1 on a DVD results in non-compliant discs that most players have trouble playing.

new2aus: MPEG-2 is what DVDs use - that's your best bet.
I hear FFmpegX is very good for any MPEG encoding needs.

marc
3rd May 2005, 06:23 PM
Just encode to DV and let iDVD do the MPEG2 conversion for DVDs.

CarbonRods
3rd May 2005, 07:58 PM
FWIW

After some reading and much experimenting, I used MPEG-4 compression which worked fine on the windows machines at work and the image quality was excellent.