PDA

View Full Version : Mac Network Implementation - Need Some Advice

GeoffP
10th October 2008, 06:08 PM
Hi,
Our company uses purely Windows O/S's on all desktops and notebooks.
We are also running Exchange Server 2003.

I recently fixed up the MBP for the daughter of one of our company directors. After fixing up the MBP the director said that when he needed to upgrade his work notebook he would get an MBP.

Well...... we are getting to that stage. We are both waiting (as is the rest of the world) for the "speculated" new MB & MBP releases next week. He has left it up to me to spec his new MBP, so I will be waiting to see what is on offer from next week.

Also, :D I will be upgrading my ASUS Dual Core Win XP Pro "Blue Screen Of Death" machine to a Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHZ. I will upgrade the RAM to 10Gig via OWC and drop in a couple of extra 320GB HDD's (one for time machine, one for Super Duper).

I am also currently running a Dell 2708 monitor. This will have a brother when I also order another 27" Dell. Looking at the Dell site the new monitors (2709) have arrived, so I suppose I will get one of those (or take the 2709 home and bring in my home 2708 so the monitors match).

I am pricing in the following software as well:
Directors MBP:
VMWare Fusion 2.0 (We have Windows O/S specific software)
Steermouse
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
Super Duper (if it can backup successfully to a network folder).
AppCleaner
Stuffit

My MacPro:
VMWare Fusion 2.0
Steermouse
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (We have Windows O/S specific software)
Super Duper.
AppCleaner
Adobe Illustrator V13
Stuffit

Start of questions:
I have been reading about Sharity 3. I haven't had a good look at it yet. Has anyone an opinion (or experience) with this app. I really need to make the transference from XP to OS X as painless as possible for our director. The write up implies that it makes the sharing of Windows based network folders easier to access. This is an absolute requirement.

I know that currently there is an issue with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. I get the "correct root certificate is not installed" message every time I start Entourage, but after clicking OK it still talks to our Exchange Server 2003. Is there a fix for this yet?

I have asked our IT guys to get prepared (research) for the Mac implementation, and they are fine with that. They stated that they haven't had to do this before, but are more than willing to assist.

As you can imagine I am more than a bit excited by this and am really looking forward to the next month or so.

I am sure I will come up with some more questions, but in the meantime any suggestions/information the MacTalk community can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I am also sure I will be coming up with a few more questions before/during/and after implementation.

EDIT: Something else - If I log onto our work domain in OS X, then run a VM session with XP Pro, would I have to re log onto our work domain again under XP?

Thanks,

Geoff.

GeoffP
13th October 2008, 12:31 PM
no-one ??

elnewb
13th October 2008, 12:36 PM
I have been reading about Sharity 3. I haven't had a good look at it yet. Has anyone an opinion (or experience) with this app. I really need to make the transference from XP to OS X as painless as possible for our director. The write up implies that it makes the sharing of Windows based network folders easier to access. This is an absolute requirement.

It all depends on what protocol you use to share your files. OS X does smb right out of the box so it should be ok without Sharity.

I know that currently there is an issue with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. I get the "correct root certificate is not installed" message every time I start Entourage, but after clicking OK it still talks to our Exchange Server 2003. Is there a fix for this yet?

No idea. Google around for it.

EDIT: Something else - If I log onto our work domain in OS X, then run a VM session with XP Pro, would I have to re log onto our work domain again under XP?

Yes you will have to re log in. But I don't really see it as a problem... it's not that hard to type a username and password.

stewiesno1
13th October 2008, 12:43 PM
I can't help you with the networking questions but it seems you are well placed by having both the boss and the IT Dept onside. So many posts here that say they get nothing but strife from their IT guys when they want to integrate some Macs into their work environment.
Two sites I get a lot of info from are the Apple discussion forums
Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1)
and the Mac OSX hints forums
The macosxhints Forums - For discussing everything OS X... (http://forums.macosxhints.com/index.php)
Post up these questions there in the relevant forum and I'm sure you will get some speedy replies if no-one here picks them up.
I'd also contact MS and see if anyone there can help with the certificate problem.

Stewie

purana
13th October 2008, 12:47 PM
no-one ??

Too much information to digest, and this is the kind of stuff one get's paid good $$$ to implement.

elnewb
13th October 2008, 12:53 PM
Too much information to digest, and this is the kind of stuff one get's paid good $$$ to implement.

More like too much life-story to digest. The questions are only a small part of the post.

stewiesno1
14th October 2008, 10:32 AM
Too much info ??
He has given you all the relevant info ( albeit with a bit of padding ;-) ) , which a lot of posters here don't ! :thumbup:
He is trying to get more Macs in his workplace which is what we all want. Start from the top down. Trickle-down effect = good strategy. :thumbup:
Once the others see the bosses shiny new MBP , they'll all want one. :thumbup:
He is not the IT guy but trying to help out the boss and his daughter. :thumbup:
The IT guy at his work is already onside. Why just dump it on him and alienate him even though it is probably his job do this sort of thing.
Once the IT guy sees how easily the bosses Mac integrates into the work network , he will become even more receptive to other macs at work as well. :thumbup:
Seems like a good strategy to me or is that too much info for ya...:eek:

Stewie