PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth keyboard < Stuck battery

Lutze
9th October 2008, 10:01 PM
I really hope that someone here can come up with another suggestion as I'm now fresh out, and so is the rest of the house.

I purchased a "new wireless aluminium keyboard" from a, for want of a better word, person, on ebay almost 2 weeks ago. The keyboard has turned up and if it's new then Apple should be having a word with the manufacturing plant.

The battery compartment cover has been ripped from use, and once I managed to get into it I found 3 AA batteries jammed inside, with white corrosion throughout.

I've managed to get 2 of the 3 batteries out with careful application of a clean fine brush to the corrosion. However the third is jammed in tight. There is no movement whatsoever and in the right light you can see a build up around the edge of the stuck battery.

Has anyone got any suggestions for getting this out? I fully expect the keyboard not to work even if I manage to get new ones in (my duracell rechargeable batteries are unable to fit in without scraping the plastic coating on them due to the build up of "rust") but I'd prefer not to do anything that will break it.

Thanks.

Ps. If you sold a keyboard on ebay recently to someone in WA, and you are from Queensland you really should be ashamed of yourself. Will post pics of the box etc. on request.

I have contacted the seller.... no response so far. *surprise surprise*

nightelves
9th October 2008, 10:08 PM
Just wondering why you would even bother since it's no use anyway. There is a way you can get the person back if you paid by paypal but you didn't hear that from me.

Lutze
9th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Just wondering why you would even bother since it's no use anyway. There is a way you can get the person back if you paid by paypal but you didn't hear that from me.

There is a tiny part of my being that hopes that it might just work still.

I paid with paypal. However I'll never get back all that I paid and IIRC they charge me for sorting it out.

nightelves
9th October 2008, 10:21 PM
Well you can make a claim that the item never arrived to paypal and they should do a reverse charge against the seller if he/she didn't provide you with a tracking number.

Lutze
9th October 2008, 10:24 PM
Well you can make a claim that the item never arrived to paypal and they should do a reverse charge against the seller if he/she didn't provide you with a tracking number.

Well as I contacted the seller already (through eBay) that will not work.

If I can get the battery out I'll be happy.

nightelves
9th October 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm looking at my bluetooth keyboard as well and there seems to be no parts that you can unscrew to open the darn thing is there.

Lutze
10th October 2008, 08:50 AM
Any one experienced at dealing with this problem?

*sad face*

Piratbyran
10th October 2008, 08:58 AM
I had an interesting job with mine that had been dinged on the screw-thing end, they are terrible to work with.

I would be careful with this corrosion, but if you use say maybe a slightly damp rag, and slowly insert with say a screwdriver, and slowly wipe it in and out, that would help.

arkenstone
10th October 2008, 08:59 AM
Any one experienced at dealing with this problem?

*sad face*

Small flathead screwdriver to scratch away the corrosion (or plastic) around the battery. Praps some warm water to help break it down. You should be able to get it out with that and some levering.

Piratbyran
10th October 2008, 09:00 AM
IF you use a bit of water, leave the keyboard with the compartment open for a little while and let it dry out.

:)

arkenstone
10th October 2008, 10:46 AM
IF you use a bit of water, leave the keyboard with the compartment open for a little while and let it dry out.

:)

I think it was Poiter (Eric Bana/FullFrontal) who said it best:

Oh Der!