PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting to other Macs

froggy
8th October 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi,

Using my MacBook, I can't connect to my G4 iMac. Using the G4, I can't connect to my MacBook.

My son's PowerBook can connect to both machines.

All 3 machines running 10.5.5

Why?
How do I get the MacBook to connect to the G4, please?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Andrew

captain fantasy
8th October 2008, 12:54 PM
What method are you using when you try to connect?

froggy
8th October 2008, 01:09 PM
What method are you using when you try to connect?

In finder, ⌘ K/Browse/(sees the other computer, tries to connect, then says 'connection failed'

Or, in a finder window, ⇑ ⌘ C, select the computer in question, tries to connect, then says 'connection failed'.

Occasionally shows this error message window

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/akroiter/Picture1.jpg

Cheers,
Andrew

beefstar03
9th October 2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, im currently having the exact same problem. I can no longer connect to my brother's imac, we are both running the very latest Leopard updates and everything, and about a week ago without me changing anything, from my memory that is, it just comes up with that error message now. I usually connect to his computer through our wireless router.

Piratbyran
9th October 2008, 05:51 PM
Is file sharing turned on?

beefstar03
9th October 2008, 06:18 PM
yes. file sharing is turning on and there is a little green light which indicates the fact it should be working

froggy
9th October 2008, 08:29 PM
Just out of interest, beefstar, what wireless router?

I turned off my dLink G3340S router for about 5 minutes a little while ago, and when I turned it back on, everything is now working normally. (I'd turned it off and back on yesterday when I first encountered the problem, but that didn't fix it.)

I can connect!

Cheers,
Andrew

beefstar03
9th October 2008, 08:32 PM
We have a belkin wireless G router, we've had it for a couple of years now. It actually really good, i use it for stuff like xbox live, cos i can use the DMZ to have an open NAT and its fairly reliable, never cuts out or anything, but i was thinking about restarting or as the customer support idiots say, "power cycling' it. thanks for the advice!