PDA

View Full Version : Optus Data Problems

isamwa
8th October 2008, 10:30 AM
Is anyone else having problems accessing data today on Optus.

I keep being referred to an Optus page. Maps and weather cant connect either.

I have rung the Optus iphone dept. and logged the problem.

Anyone else having issues?

Forgot to add I'm in Sydney CBD

tcn33
8th October 2008, 10:38 AM
Loading normally here (Melbourne CBD).

badwolf
8th October 2008, 10:48 AM
Try restarting the phone. It has happened to me once or twice, and restarting seems to resolve it.

QueenOfSwords
8th October 2008, 11:25 AM
I got the 'you're out of wireless credit' page. Really.

/Give or take 498 meg

isamwa
8th October 2008, 11:36 AM
The problem for me has just been resolved. Able to access web and mail. Though Optus were meant to call and say it was fixed.

arkenstone
8th October 2008, 12:58 PM
The problem for me has just been resolved. Able to access web and mail. Though Optus were meant to call and say it was fixed.

Yep had this myself this morning and atleast one other person on twitter did too.

Stupid fucking Optus. I take back everything I said on the podcast.

Useless, useless, incompetant fools they are.

bmc
8th October 2008, 01:10 PM
2:07pm and still have not been able to access data without re-booting all day today.
When checking my ANZ bank balance I too am getting a damned Out of Wireless Credit page... Optus fark me dead!

the_doctor
8th October 2008, 01:11 PM
I too had issues today where there was no data (3G or otherwise) in normally 3G heavy areas.

The issues were only occurring for a few hours but still .....

Once again just pathetic Optus.

QueenOfSwords
8th October 2008, 01:20 PM
Life at Midnight: Optus is being Special again (http://lifeatmidnight.blogspot.com/2008/10/optus-is-being-special-again.html)

*sigh*

Geoff3DMN
8th October 2008, 01:24 PM
As an interesting turn around to what seems to be the general user experience I've recently spent 10 days down in Cowes at Phillip Island.

I took my work Telstra NextG USB modem and my Optus 3G USB modem plus I took my iPhone (also on Optus).

I was attempting to work using the Telstra connection and the speed was terrible... it was fluctuating between about 1 Megabit/sec (ok) and down as low as 5 kbits/sec (broadband dialup anyone?).

I thought... well given all the people that are on the island for the MotoGP the chances are Optus will be even worse but oh well... it can't hurt to try.

So I plugged in the Optus 3G modem and ended up with solid 3.5 Megabit/sec transfer speeds!

My iPhone was more variable and I didn't see anything near those sorts of speeds (between 200 and 300 kbits/sec mostly).

Are Optus using a separate 3G network for their 3G modems to the one used for the iPhone? Different back haul? Different priority of access?

Seems a bit odd...

OneShow
8th October 2008, 01:26 PM
I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago.

I spent around 30 minutes with them trying to work out the problem. They said they would call me back with a solution. No call.

I called back customer service and demanded reimbursement for the dropped out calls, missed calls and lack of 3G service. They agreed and I should see around $40 back into my account next month.

If you are having similar problems I suggest you all do the same...the more refunds going out the more likely they are going to fix the problem.

craziegookie
8th October 2008, 01:45 PM
i had that problem today. Refers me to a prepaid internet thing

shihyuan
8th October 2008, 02:04 PM
I am in Melbourne and have no problem at all with Optus data whether I am in 3G zone or just using GPRS.

wmyeoh
8th October 2008, 07:43 PM
I called back customer service and demanded reimbursement for the dropped out calls, missed calls and lack of 3G service. They agreed and I should see around $40 back into my account next month.

If you are having similar problems I suggest you all do the same...the more refunds going out the more likely they are going to fix the problem.

I completely agree with your comments.

I was having a horrendous time with calls dropping out, 3G going back to 2G while I was driving around Sydney, and I wrote a number of fairly direct emails to Optus customer care that I was losing a lot of money, time and energy because of the inability of their network to cope.

Received a phone call from a customer care agent who offered for me to cancel my contract without having the pay the full buy-out, but I refused this since it would be too much of a hassle at this stage.

The guy then goes "Well...as a goodwill gesture, I am happy to credit your account $300 to keep you with us".

I had to get him to repeat that figure since I was expecting somewhere around $50!

Just goes to show that a little bit of whinging can go a long way.

bigmouth
9th October 2008, 12:20 AM
Yep, I got the same deal with the "prepaid" page - i don't if it happens around billing time and there's something wrong with Optus, maybe it thinks from the time the bill is generated until it's paid that you're not eligble ? Who knows, or maybe just another glitch.

Hopefully fixed soon.

Ranu
9th October 2008, 12:41 PM
I had the same problem yesterday, being directed to the optus "out of credit page".
Maybe it's just coincidence but my 3G reception has been great today, on the train, at work and all the places where it's normally useless. I've not had a dropped call in the last 24 hours - which must be a first!
Makes me wonder if Optus were doing some upgrades yesterday? Let's hope so ...