PDA

View Full Version : Olympus M-robe

adamjc
2nd May 2005, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but the M-Robe looks like a very nice player. Now I have an iPod and am very happy with it, but the M-Robe looks quite sleek and cool as well.

And isnt strange the M-Robe has white ear phones as well, they even have 'm-robe' written on the ear-piece! :o

Click Here for M-Robe (http://www.olympusimaging.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?productpage=MrobeOverview&cid=1085553154819&pagename=Olympus%2FPage%2FProducts&context=Products%2CDigital+Music+Players%2Cm%3Arob e%2CMR-100&productId=1108697191592&sectionId=1085025989222#)

Adam.

the_OM
2nd May 2005, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine has one and they are pretty sweet, except for the syncing software that comes with it.
iTunes is far and away better and makes the whole iPod experience what it is

queraxus
2nd May 2005, 01:19 PM
I do like the look of it. Very slick.

Insanely
2nd May 2005, 01:34 PM
I thought it didn't work with Mac OS X.

I know some one that has one. It's a bloody ugly looking thing.

jobe
2nd May 2005, 01:35 PM
/me splurts his drink all over his keyboard

:rolleyes: too much time on IRC

You actually think it looks good? What are you smoking? Have you seen one in the flesh? had a play with it? They are horrid. Sure if it was all black it would be cool, but the case is a sleekish black front on a shoddily designed case. And trying to use it... ach! And the display makes my eyes bleed

:thumbdn:

starman
2nd May 2005, 02:31 PM
mm yer, im not really a fan look wise, a tad retroish. lol.
i like my nice minimal (silver mini) ipod <3

QueenOfSwords
2nd May 2005, 02:34 PM
The first thing I wondered about when seeing one was &#39;why the white phones?&#39; I mean if people are going out of their way to buy NotPods, and this think is marketed as a NotPod, why not different &#39;phones too? Red would be cool but black should have been the color.

geektechnu
2nd May 2005, 03:13 PM
The design reminds me of some of Kubrik&#39;s 2001 designs (not the fact that it looks a bit like a black monolith). To me it looks very retro - not sure if that&#39;s a good thing or not...

the_OM
2nd May 2005, 03:51 PM
I think they look pretty good. Just because it doesn&#39;t say ipod on it doesn&#39;t mean it looks like crap.

Kuma
2nd May 2005, 04:00 PM
and 1GB more on the iPod Mini will cost just &#036;10 more (on RRP) and 1 GB less (for the 4GB mini) will cost &#036;50 less (again RRP)

and it doesn&#39;t use iTunes.
and it doesn&#39;t have firewire (granted the iPod mini firewire cable needs to be purchased seperatly).
and battery life is listed at 12 hours - mini at 18 hours
and iPod has a HUGE array of accessories, the M-robe has 1 accessory (currently listed).
and need I go on.......

iPod mini :thumbup: :thumbup:
m-robe :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

adamjc
2nd May 2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@May 2 2005, 03:51 PM
I think they look pretty good. Just because it doesn&#39;t say ipod on it doesn&#39;t mean it looks like crap.
agreed i like the look of them&#33;

i havent played around with one yet, but i am very happy with my iPod anyways.

adam.

Insanely
2nd May 2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Kuma@May 2 2005, 04:00 PM
and 1GB more on the iPod Mini will cost just &#036;10 more (on RRP) and 1 GB less (for the 4GB mini) will cost &#036;50 less (again RRP)

and it doesn&#39;t use iTunes.
and it doesn&#39;t have firewire (granted the iPod mini firewire cable needs to be purchased seperatly).
and battery life is listed at 12 hours - mini at 18 hours
and iPod has a HUGE array of accessories, the M-robe has 1 accessory (currently listed).
and need I go on.......

iPod mini :thumbup: :thumbup:
m-robe :thumbdn: :thumbdn:
add:

cannot purchase apple care warranty.
3 month warranty on battery (i might be wrong here).

What formats does it support?

White head phones advertise an ipod in the pocket&#33; m-robe is advertising the ipod&#33;

jobe
2nd May 2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@May 2 2005, 03:51 PM
my opinion has nothing to do with me being an apple fanatic. I gave the thing a shot. I went to HNs, asked to see one, had a play and didnít like it. If I&#39;m going to be locked into unsing a piece of software, it sure as hell will want to be good. Same reason I abandoned sony&#39;s netMDs, they just didn&#39;t understand that atrac sucks. I also didn&#39;t like the controls (this may be because i&#39;m used to an ipod) but they were awkward and annoying.

Kuma
2nd May 2005, 05:02 PM
I too wish to make some disclaimer about my opinions...

I just looked on the net at the features listed by the 2 products....

and drew my own conclusions...

I haven&#39;t seen the m-robe in the flesh but those red dots look like a game my parents gave me 25 years ago.

If the m-robe had listed superior features I would have sung its praise...

but it didn&#39;t pass muster on the above features I listed..... it&#39;s only benefit would be notpod but then it confuses the issue with white bud earphones... so its a wannabe... and that (IMHO) is all it is ever going to be.... a wannabe....

I actually look forward to an mp3 player that outshines the iPod... cause then you know you got some damn fine gear.

Jazarus
2nd May 2005, 05:22 PM
I want one of these &#33;&#33; they are hot &#33;&#33;

I agree with the Retro/Kubrick statement, it looks space-y, will go well with my cosmonaut suit

Phillip
2nd May 2005, 05:32 PM
I got a chance to play with one of these at a Megamart Store and they are very nice players. The colours do bring to mind 2001: A space Odyssey. However, I still wouldn&#39;t recommend them cause the interface on these are just shocking. If they improve, its definitely something worthwhile.