PDA

View Full Version : SMB Hates Me

devians
7th October 2008, 12:57 PM
I seem to be cursed when dealing with windows file sharing related items. Now let me start off by saying im looking to fix these issues, not to implement a different protocol like ftp. I'm also not a new switcher, I've been using macs a few years so dont feel like you need to baby me, im quite capable of using the terminal or workgroup manager etc.

Firstly, im running the latest leopard with all updates, installed off the disk that came with my latest macbook pro. the macbook pro is the standard low end 15" model with 4gb corsair ram added.

1. In some instances, on and off, when i copy a file from my mac to a shared folder on windows xp, where the permissions are akin to 777, the file gets copied across.... and then something deletes it!
Eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Z0wDbBREc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4rf8GhNlZ0

2. For the life of me, i simply cannot get my copy of leopard to openly share folders. it simply refuses to do it. i couldnt list all the things ive tried here, but im pretty sure its a permissions problem. (no, the disk util repair doesnt fix :P)

Suffice to say that the standard, turn on guest account, turn on windows file sharing, share folder, set permissions, does not share the folder, the folder never appears in the macs $IPC share (or whatever the equivalent is).

I have found it can work if i make a new user (a full user, with logins and home dir and everything) and tick their account in the file sharing settings. then the windows box has to login with their details. this isnt really an acceptable solution as it gives desktop access to my machine for all and sundry.

I'm very happy to troubleshoot this, provide video's, screenshots, system info dumps etc so just ask for information.

Currawong
7th October 2008, 01:41 PM
It may not be any help, but I once moved an entire collection of files from a user folder to a shared folder in XP and then all the files were deleted by XP!

What version of XP? SP3 with all updates? My wacky error was back in SP2 or SP1, I don't recall now.

devians
7th October 2008, 01:52 PM
both instances have been up to date xp. so sp3 plus whatever updates since then.

purana
7th October 2008, 01:59 PM
both instances have been up to date xp. so sp3 plus whatever updates since then.

XP machines where this issue as reported in (1) happens. Are those machines corportate machines with an SOE installed as well as other management applications. ie. Are these business machines built by some companies IT group (or are they just some home use machine maintained by yourself or the person who owns them)?

EDIT: from my quick research, it's common amongst a number of folks. Can't say I've seen this issue on my systems of late, but I do recall have this issue on atleast 1 instance when I copied files to an D-Link DNS323 NAS box. Looks to be an OS bug/issue which is still to be addresses/acknowledged by Apple.

Workarounds suggested indicate that you should create an folder/file on the filesystem from the host itself, then map it to your Mac again. Then copy the files/folders you want and it shouldn't do it any further. But if the mapped location contains no files or folders when you do attempt this, then the issue your having will be seen in some situations. Don't hold me to the workaround, it's merely something I just read on the Apple Discussion Forums.

devians
7th October 2008, 02:14 PM
XP machines where this issue as reported in (1) happens. Are those machines corportate machines with an SOE installed as well as other management applications. ie. Are these business machines built by some companies IT group (or are they just some home use machine maintained by yourself or the person who owns them)?

they are personal machines maintained by myself.

so are you saying this is a known leopard bug? (sighs and adds it to the list of bugs in leopard that will probably never get fixed)

~Coxy
7th October 2008, 02:53 PM
I have run into an issue in 10.5 where you cannot properly setup windows file sharing if you're using the default "Automatic" network location. I made a new location with all the correct settings, joined WORKGROUP under the advanced settings, and was then able to share various folders/drives.

If all else fails try editing smb.conf, too.

devians
7th October 2008, 03:06 PM
im actually using 2 locations, work and home, and using marco polo to switch between them. so automatic isnt being used.

im not sure if editing smb.conf would help. im just stumped that guest or a filesharing only user.... wont let me share files! i have to have a user in entirety.

purana
8th October 2008, 11:26 AM
Be sure to check my EDIT on my post above, it had extra info.

devians
8th October 2008, 01:12 PM
i did see that purana, sorry. ill definitely keep it in mind when i run into the issue again.

any ideas on how to get my leopard machine sharing folders? cos im stumped as to how to get it going.