PDA

View Full Version : On the basis there is no silly questions. . .

5th October 2008, 09:41 PM
I have a couple of them. Got a new iMac last week and for the life of me I can't work out how to:
1. Burn an audio CD with some iTunes & music from other CDs that I can play in either of our two european cars.
2. Get Windows XP to load correctly. I load the disk, it happily goes to a point where it asks me to hit Enter to install, R to recover or F3 to exit. The mouse and keyboard seemingly won't talk to the system.

All help appreciated - thanks.

elnewb
5th October 2008, 09:43 PM
1. Import all your music you want to burn into iTunes
Make a playlist for the CD you want to burn
Insert CD
Click the burn icon
*Make sure in preferences that the burning is set to audio cd not MP3

2. Are you using bootcamp or are you just putting the disk in?

Huy
5th October 2008, 09:44 PM
What kind of mouse and keyboard?

Is it USB?

Are you trying to virtualize? e.g. Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox, etc? Or Boot Camp?

5th October 2008, 09:46 PM
1. Import all your music you want to burn into iTunes
Make a playlist for the CD you want to burn
Insert CD
Click the burn icon

2. Are you using bootcamp or are you just putting the disk in?

Thanks for number 1 - I'll do it tomorrow night.

I've activated the bootcamp assistant - created the partition and stuck the disk in. Obviously, I've missed a step somewhere.

Again, thanks for the help.

elnewb
5th October 2008, 10:56 PM
Is it with a cordless bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Or is a wired USB keyboard and mouse?

gigdiary
6th October 2008, 01:33 AM
Stupid question, and one I thought I had solved, but I'm still getting files and software that recognize .wav and refuse to convert to any workable Mac file....sigh....

semaja2
6th October 2008, 01:44 AM
Make sure XP is SP2 slip streamed

cmrn
6th October 2008, 08:57 AM
Make sure XP is SP2 slip streamed

This should not effect the installation of XP, so do not suggest it as it will likely confuse people who do not know what slip streaming is. Also, if you want to suggest slip streaming, then at least suggest slip streaming SP3!

Make sure you are using some kind of USB keyboard, as any wireless (bluetooth) device will not work.

Scooterpig
6th October 2008, 09:05 AM
lMake sure you are using some kind of USB keyboard, as any wireless (bluetooth) device will not work.

Sorry for hijacking thread but interesting answer - can I ask why that is so please as curious? Is it due to Windows not having Bluetooth drivers or something else?

cmrn
6th October 2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry for hijacking thread but interesting answer - can I ask why that is so please as curious? Is it due to Windows not having Bluetooth drivers or something else?

It is not due to windows having no bluetooth drivers, it is due to the fact that the windows install disc has no bluetooth drivers. The install environment is like a mini OS running off of a CD, designed to have 1 specific function (installing the main OS) - this install "OS" has no bluetooth support; it only supports basic USB and PS2 input.

Scooterpig
6th October 2008, 09:16 AM
Cool thank you..:)

mishylane
6th October 2008, 09:27 AM
My windows environment only detects the keyboard from the first USB port on my imac... maybe give that a go?

6th October 2008, 09:27 AM
Is it with a cordless bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Or is a wired USB keyboard and mouse?The keyboard & mouse are wired,

7th October 2008, 05:32 PM
So to conclude this rather sordid affair...

After trying the suggestions given, Apple on-line support and nearly throwing the recently purchased "Missing Manual for Mac OSX Leopard" through the window - I rang Apple support. Ahh he says, you must have iTunes8.something. The on-line support hasn't been updated to that version yet. You're right, you won't find the "Audio CD" setting in Preferences>Advanced etc, the easiest way to do it is to create a playlist, click on the "Burn" command and the selection is there. He was right - as 5 year old daughter (who's CD it is) commented "works just like a bought one!

The Windows XP problem is apparently because I need to have Bootcamp open when installing Windoze.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it will be reciprocated.

Piratbyran
7th October 2008, 05:33 PM
This should not effect the installation of XP, so do not suggest it as it will likely confuse people who do not know what slip streaming is. Also, if you want to suggest slip streaming, then at least suggest slip streaming SP3!

Make sure you are using some kind of USB keyboard, as any wireless (bluetooth) device will not work.

Without SP2 it won't install, ever. Get your facts right before you post.

Try an OEM XP pro disk. Its not ever going to work, if you do and beat everyone else on the internet, come back here, prove it. You shall get cookies.

matthew858
7th October 2008, 05:50 PM

Where is this setting? I didn't know this existed!

elnewb
7th October 2008, 06:01 PM
The Windows XP problem is apparently because I need to have Bootcamp open when installing Windoze.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by this? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Lumus
7th October 2008, 06:24 PM
Did you insert your Windows disk after you rebooted, or when the software asked you to before you completed the Bootcamp Assistant? It may make a diff, I'm not sure (I'm just reading from the Bootcamp Install and Setup Guide, which I'll assume you've read?)

froggy
8th October 2008, 12:21 PM
Where is this setting? I didn't know this existed!

After you click http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/akroiter/Picture5.jpg in iTunes, you get

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/akroiter/Picture4.jpg
where you can choose what format to burn your disc.

HTH,
Andrew

GimliNZ
8th October 2008, 12:55 PM
After you click http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/akroiter/Picture5.jpg in iTunes, you get

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/akroiter/Picture4.jpg
where you can choose what format to burn your disc.

HTH,
Andrew

Yep, this was changed in iTunes 8, in earlier versions it was in Preferences Under Advanced --> Burning.

krolly
8th October 2008, 01:14 PM
On the basis there are no silly questions. . .

See?
Everybody needs to know something. :)

9th October 2008, 07:34 AM
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by this? It doesn't make any sense to me.
No it didn't to me either. After a number of nights swaering and cursing I found the answer why the keyboard won't respond when you are trying to install Windoze XP - wait for it - you need to unplug the mouse from the keyboard :eek: I found the suggestion on the Apple support discussions and tried it on the basis that nothing else had worked. Tonight I can get the legacy Windoze only programs on the iMac.

Yep, this was changed in iTunes 8, in earlier versions it was in Preferences Under Advanced --> Burning.The Apple Support Website still has the earlier version up. See why I was confused.

elnewb
9th October 2008, 06:14 PM
Just a tip. If these programs are old and relatively lightweight you could probably run the smoothly enough with Vmware Fusion or Parallels and not have to reboot every time you want to use them.