PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Drives Over Mac/windows Network

boydi!
2nd May 2005, 07:37 AM
I have had my mac for about 3 months now and I absolutely love it.
One thing that has been confusing me is the windows sharing.
I would like to be able to share my CD Drive so that I can access it from my windows computer over my network. Its possible for me to share my windows CD to my mac so it must be possible to do so the other way round right?
If I can share my CD to the windows machine, is it also possible to share my USB devices, like an iPod Shuffle etc.
The Reason I ask all of this is because I love My Sony NetMD and I don't use it as much now that My primary machine is a Mac (No support for Sonic-stage or open mg).
What I was thinking is I could have my MD Plugged into my mac, then I could Remote access my windows machine and load up sonic-stage and burn to my MD over the network.
It would make things a lot more convenient because the windows machine is like 30 meters away at the other end of the house.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.

sikosis
3rd May 2005, 11:12 AM
You might be able to do that with VirtualPC as you can map the USB ports ... hrmm if I get the chance, I'll try it out.

Kuma
3rd May 2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by boydi!@May 2 2005, 07:37 AM

It would make things a lot more convenient because the windows machine is like 30 meters away at the other end of the house.

so that is part of the house you don't use anymore? :D

as for a more constructive post I wish I could help.

(just wish I could use the net MD on the mac)

neilrobinson
3rd May 2005, 11:25 AM
i would guess sharepoints (http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/) would do the trick for you. It is a little difficult to configure at times thou. Good Luck!
neil

boydi!
3rd May 2005, 09:24 PM
Well I managed to get my CD drive shared which means I can easily remote install from my Mac, But I cannot seem to get my MD shared, simply because It does not appear anywhere(I think it does this in windows also but sonic-stage detects it). So it looks like I will have to leave the MD attached to the windows PC but at least I can upload songs to it remotely.
I will put up with it for now until Sony get their act together, I really don't want to give up my MD it was quite expensive and I think it is much more superior than my Shuffle.

Thanks for the help.