PDA

View Full Version : multiple hd in mac pro

idonotknow
5th October 2008, 04:53 PM
i wish to install 2 x hd in my mac pro latest revision in addition to the hd currently in there which has an osx and vista partition which i want to keep. the 2 new ones will just run osx for music recording purposes, the second drive of these new ones will be used for back up of the first.

so my question is can i have 3 drives (4 with the vista partition) in my mac pro and select which i want to boot from at start up? disc a) mac osx + vista. disc b) 2nd mac osx. disc c) back up of disc b.

i know i prob can but i was wondering what config i should use? biggest concern is will the 4 volumes show up from holding down alt option on start up to select?

thanks for any responses

Brains
5th October 2008, 06:14 PM
Shouldn't be a problem - just pop a fresh HD into each bay, format as you outlined above, and away you go. They won't impact on how your original drive behaves, and any volume you put OSX onto will show up during the boot options screen as well as Startup Disk.

marc
5th October 2008, 07:42 PM
All internal and external hard drives that can be booted from should show up in the "hold down option" boot menu. No probs here with 3 internal drives and one external in a MP.

idonotknow
6th October 2008, 12:00 AM
thanks very much for the responses. i was thinking of getting 2x seagate 7200.11 500gb. i've bought seagate, wd, and samsung over the years but seagate appear to be the the best, especially with the response time. would these drives take full advantage of my mac pro 3.2 dual quad core bus etc?

~Coxy
6th October 2008, 11:32 AM
A SATA2 disk is a SATA2 disk, really. 750GB is slightly cheaper per gigabyte nowadays, but if you only need 500 then you'll save money overall.