PDA

View Full Version : Calculator window is too small

cbo100
4th October 2008, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I have this problem:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5162/picture6np3.png

That's what my calculator looks like at the moment.

Anything I do to resize it like choose a different calculator type (Scientific etc), "Window > Zoom" on the menu bar just crashes the calculator with a "report this error" screen.

I also tried deleting the calculator.plist in my home folder but that didn't help either.

Anybody had this and know how to solve it?

Thanks,

Chris.

shujin
4th October 2008, 02:50 PM
Any logs/crash logs from Console.app? (in utilities folder).

Would be good if you could open Console.app, clear the logs, open Calculator.app, then see if anything comes up on Console.

You could post the log here and we can help you see where Calc borked :)

Quamen
4th October 2008, 04:18 PM
From the Calculators WIndow menu try the zoom option. It should reside the calculator for you.

cmrn
4th October 2008, 04:29 PM
From the Calculators WIndow menu try the zoom option. It should reside the calculator for you.

"Window > Zoom" on the menu bar just crashes the calculator with a "report this error" screen.

Quamen
4th October 2008, 04:35 PM
*sigh*

I need to wake up today.

cbo100
4th October 2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry for the delay.

Here's the log:

4/10/08 7:33:18 PM com.apple.launchd[109] ([0x0-0x18018].com.apple.calculator[158]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault

And:

Process: Calculator [158]
Path: /Applications/Calculator.app/Contents/MacOS/Calculator
Identifier: com.apple.calculator
Version: 4.2 (4.2)
Build Info: Calculator-820000~2
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [109]

Date/Time: 2008-10-04 19:33:13.140 +1000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c0000023
Crashed Thread: 0

Is there anywhere else apart from ~/Library/Preferences/ that might store something to do with the size of the window?

Huy
4th October 2008, 07:45 PM
Test your memory.

cbo100
4th October 2008, 08:17 PM
As unlikely as it seems, I did the apple hardware test and no problems were found.

THis affects no other applications than calculator.

It seems to me to be a programming issue where it isn't checking the bounds of it's window area before trying to resize itself - i.e. it think it's the correct size but isn't.

I guess without knowing where/how it decides to pick a size to display at when starting the application it's hard to force it to default to it's correct size.

Huy
4th October 2008, 08:20 PM
If possible, report to Apple. Keep reporting it if it happens. Then they'll fix it. ;)

shujin
4th October 2008, 09:53 PM
Hmm, try popping in the Install DVD and reinstall Calculator? There's an option to install bundled apps only. If not, try using Pacifist to reinstall only Calculator.

If that doesn't resolve the problem the only thing I can think of is to sign up for a free Developer account at developer.apple.com (the Mac program, not the iPhone program), and file a bug report at http://bugreport.apple.com. Someone will be on your case soon, once you report the bug. I've reported a couple of bugs and problems with fairly successful results (and in both cases, my problems were resolved).

If you choose this method and you're not sure how to file the radar report, just ask away :)