PDA

View Full Version : Noob iPhone question

napes
3rd October 2008, 01:34 PM
hey guys
I'm a complete noob when it comes to mobile phones... please be gentle...
I've got a razr on telstra 3G network (plan)
If I bought an iPhone 2G, would the sim in it work OK?
Finally - outside of speed, memory, gps and regular headphone jack, what would I be missing out on by getting a 2G instead of a 3G?
thanks...

the_doctor
3rd October 2008, 01:39 PM
Should work fine.

I don't think you would be missing out on anything (except of course all the things you mentioned which make the 3G so much better than the 2G).

leon
3rd October 2008, 01:39 PM
hey guys
Finally - outside of speed, memory, gps and regular headphone jack, what would I be missing out on by getting a 2G instead of a 3G?
thanks...

Warranty. Not having to worry about the latest firmware re-locking the iPhone.

I don't see how memory is an issue as you can get 8 and 16GB versions of the 2G, which is the same as the 3G.

To be honest, after playing with my wife's 3G, 2G download speeds are pretty unbearable. If you can, I would save up and get the 3G.

matthew858
3rd October 2008, 01:44 PM
hey guys
thanks...

Are you talking about the new iPhone (plastic back) or old iPhone (aluminum back)?

napes
3rd October 2008, 01:52 PM
Are you talking about the new iPhone (plastic back) or old iPhone (aluminum back)?

aluminum back...

To be honest, after playing with my wife's 3G, 2G download speeds are pretty unbearable. If you can, I would save up and get the 3G.

Oh really.... can you give a rough % slower (the stats don't always = real world tests). I plan to use it to download email to.... bad idea?

decryption
3rd October 2008, 02:01 PM
Only reason to get the new 3G iPhone:

Warranty & support
No need to unlock/jailbreak constantly every time there's a new firmware
3G internet speeds
Recessed headphone jack

Otherwise, the 3G iPhone and 1st-Gen iPhone are the same.

If you plan to use the internet on it at all when out and about, get the 3G iPhone, the 1st-Gen iPhone is so slow on GPRS/EDGE. You'd be able to use email fine on GPRS though I think.

The difference between GPRS and 3G is like dial-up and ADSL2. It's huge.

napes
3rd October 2008, 02:17 PM
thanks for that info... I reckon I'll be saving up instead of going 1st gen based on the above!
cheers
(n)

leon
3rd October 2008, 02:17 PM
I was using Telstra with my 2G iPhone, so it was on EDGE. Simple emails were fine and browsing Mactalk at work was O.K.

I found things like the ANZ webapp would essentially time-out when using EDGE, whereas on 3G it was almost instant.

In real world tests I would say that my iPhone at best was about 20% the speed of my wifes on 3G on a good day. If your only getting a few emails a day, then a 2 G would be fine, but I found it to take at least 30 seconds to refresh my mail box with about 3-4 new messages in it.

napes
3rd October 2008, 02:28 PM
thanks for the feedback leon... appreciate it. I rely quite heavily on email, so I think that 3G will be the right option... just means I can't get it straight away because of cost.