PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet problems - very frustrating - please help

Els
3rd October 2008, 01:15 PM
I bought my iMac a bit over a month ago and so far it has been a great experience. I have a few small questions about operating this new machine (previously Windows pc) but I won't even bother until I get this unbelievably frustrating internet problem sorted!!! :mad:

Here's the picture:

We have one Mac (my office) and two Windows pcs (other rooms) in our house. In my office where the Mac is, I have the ADSL modem connected to the wall outlet, and a Belkin router connected as well.

The thing is: the other pcs have great internet connection, stable, fast (well, as fast as ADSL can be), just the way it should work.

BUT my internet connection constantly drops out, and I mean EVERY 2 SECONDS!! This has been going on for weeks and it is so frustrating that I'm nearly in tears as I work from home as a translator, currently working on a huge 200-page project for which I need to do constant research on the internet, and I just can't!!! On top of that, in my spare time I am always on a photography forum but I can only read about two topics a day at this slow rate, unbelievable grrrrr :mad::mad::mad:

I have tried everything I could think of. We have a VOIP phone box thingy connected to the router as well, and I removed all that, didn't change a thing. I removed our cordless phone which is in the same room as well, nothing changed. Rebooted everything, in different orders, nope, didn't work.

I'm at my wits end, please help!

Thanks
Els

arkenstone
3rd October 2008, 01:32 PM
First of all we need to establish how it's dropping out.

If you open a terminal window and do 'ping -n 1000 Google (http://www.google.com)' I'd be interested to see how often it drops out.

Do you know if you actually lose signal when it drops out? Does your mac need to get another ip address?

It sounds like your wireless access point is in the same room as your mac - is it possible to connect your mac via ethernet for troubleshooting? (to make sure the wireless really is the problem?)

Could be some sort of conflict. Perhaps the mac and another device on the network are having an IP conflict. Is the mac setup to obtain an address automatically (dhcp)?

Is the mac connected by both ethernet and wireless? We need some more info to help you out.

jubilantjeremy
3rd October 2008, 01:34 PM
This occurs to me.
Is your wifi network the first on the list of wifi networks to join?

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/201802/wifi.jpg

Mine is called DeliciousAndNutritious and it's at the top. It may be that your Airport is trying to connect to another network which is just out of range?

If you need it for work, then just get another wireless router, or an Airport Express ($129) which you will have zero problems with.

Jeremy

Els
3rd October 2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for replying. Some of the things you are asking are really over my head, sorry (I'm female, good enough excuse :D

I will try and answer as best as possible:

open a terminal window and do 'ping -n 1000 Google'

How do I do that?

Do you know if you actually lose signal when it drops out? Does your mac need to get another ip address?

Don't know. I open a browser window, and the url bar only turns blue for a little bit, then stops, I hit refresh etc but the sites don't open.

It sounds like your wireless access point is in the same room as your mac - is it possible to connect your mac via ethernet for troubleshooting? (to make sure the wireless really is the problem?)

If you mean, do I have an ethernet cable, no I haven't but I can buy one if I have to. I just wanted to do as much wireless as possible. On that note, I also removed my wireless apple keyboard because I thought it might have been interfering with the signal but even with the standard keyboard plugged in it's the same problem.

Is the mac setup to obtain an address automatically (dhcp)?

I don't know.

Is the mac connected by both ethernet and wireless?

My Mac should connect wirelessly to the router. We don't have a network to share files among the three computers though.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! Sorry I know so little about all this.

Jeremy. in my screen like your screenshot, the belkin54g is the only one listed and is selected. Network diagnostics says that my internet connection is working properly. But it isn't!

Thanks

dt
3rd October 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Els

I've been having the same problem as you: click here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/12/51474-imac-24-wireless-problems.html).

There are also quite a few people having this problem, assuming yours is the same as mine, on the Apple Discussion forums (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1580850).

Mac OS X 10.5.5 didn't fix the problem for me on my iMac. Apple support are useless.

I guess we just have to bunker down and pray for Apple to acknowledge and fix it ?

Sorry I couldn't bring you better news :)

Els
3rd October 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi dt

Thanks for posting that, though it just depresses me... Blah, this is truly wrecking my whole Mac experience. Here I am with this beautiful looking machine trying to do my job FGS and my 6yo son has perfect internet connection on his tiny little old windows pc from 1998. Ugh!!

dt
3rd October 2008, 03:03 PM
Hi dt

Thanks for posting that, though it just depresses me... Blah, this is truly wrecking my whole Mac experience. Here I am with this beautiful looking machine trying to do my job FGS and my 6yo son has perfect internet connection on his tiny little old windows pc from 1998. Ugh!!

Sometimes turning airport off then back on helped for a while. Then it would eventually get crap again, so I'd turn it off then back on, and it would be fine for a while more... vicious circle.

Els
3rd October 2008, 03:10 PM
Sometimes turning airport off then back on helped for a while. Then it would eventually get crap again, so I'd turn it off then back on, and it would be fine for a while more... vicious circle.

I've already been doing that for weeks, this really sucks. Wish I had known about this before I bought the iMac.

Lutze
3rd October 2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for replying. Some of the things you are asking are really over my head, sorry (I'm female, good enough excuse :D

I will try and answer as best as possible:

How do I do that?

Don't know. I open a browser window, and the url bar only turns blue for a little bit, then stops, I hit refresh etc but the sites don't open.

If you mean, do I have an ethernet cable, no I haven't but I can buy one if I have to. I just wanted to do as much wireless as possible. On that note, I also removed my wireless apple keyboard because I thought it might have been interfering with the signal but even with the standard keyboard plugged in it's the same problem.

I don't know.

My Mac should connect wirelessly to the router. We don't have a network to share files among the three computers though.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! Sorry I know so little about all this.

Jeremy. in my screen like your screenshot, the belkin54g is the only one listed and is selected. Network diagnostics says that my internet connection is working properly. But it isn't!

Thanks

How to open a terminal window:

Go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal (Then follow the instructions)

With regards to your wireless keyboard... is that an Apple one? If it is then it does not use the same wireless system, it uses bluetooth (same as most mobile phones) not WiFi that you connect to your internet system with, so don't worry about that.

I was experiencing similar drop outs. They have pretty much stopped recently.

Try using Firefox instead of Safari to browse the web. I am actually using the latest build of webkit (a test browser) built on Safari 4 (an up coming version in the next Mac OS X 10.6. This is probably not going to help you as you've said you are not technical... but the other stuff will.

Jaffa
3rd October 2008, 03:24 PM
How do I do that?

Okay, Open your applications folder, in there should be another folder called Utilities. In there is a program called Terminal. Open that and type in the following:

ping -n www.google.com.au

and then after say 10 seconds or so press +. (thats the full stop button) and copy the output that it gives and paste it into a new post here.

elnewb
3rd October 2008, 03:27 PM
Try using Firefox instead of Safari to browse the web. I am actually using the latest build of webkit (a test browser) built on Safari 4 (an up coming version in the next Mac OS X 10.6. This is probably not going to help you as you've said you are not technical... but the other stuff will.

I really doubt that changing your browser will affect the network dropouts somehow Lutze.

On a side note Safari is based on webkit... not the other way around.

Lutze
3rd October 2008, 03:31 PM
I really doubt that changing your browser will affect the network dropouts somehow Lutze.

On a side note Safari is based on webkit... not the other way around.

Thanks for your help - however as I've had the problem and OTHER applications have carried on with access to the net I found that trying other non-core applications worked as well.

The terminal test will show. According to the airport indicator in the menu bar I never lost my connection to the router, and I know that the connection to the net has not been dropped.

Please don't give smartass answers unless you know what the problem is. Thank you.

bashir
3rd October 2008, 03:32 PM
i recently bought an iMac 24" (two weekends ago)
i've already had it once totally drop out of the wireless network and couldn't get it reconnected.
previously, there was only 1 wireless network around my home (mine), but now there is two (neighbour's)
ethernet worked fine, but wireless would just not work.
i ended up changing my wireless network channel from 10 to 7 and it's worked fine ever since.

yinyang
3rd October 2008, 03:32 PM
if your belkin router has any spare ethernet ports at the back, then to get you working without the dropouts maybe connect to the iMac using an ethernet (cat 5) cable and then once your project is done, you can look at trying to resolve whatever the wireless issue is.

blakat
3rd October 2008, 03:46 PM
Wireless when you don't "have to" is just an unnecessary burden. As wireless is a contended layer 2 broadcast domain (non switched) having more devices connected to the wireless than is absolutely necessary reduces the performance for everyone of the connected devices. I would recommend if your iMac is in the same room as the router to connect a CAT5 cable between the iMac and the Router.

Els
3rd October 2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

These are the terminal results:
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=0 ttl=243 time=203.146 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=1 ttl=243 time=205.178 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=2 ttl=243 time=203.404 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=203.288 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=4 ttl=243 time=205.392 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=5 ttl=243 time=203.720 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=6 ttl=243 time=204.560 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=7 ttl=243 time=204.065 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=8 ttl=243 time=204.340 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=9 ttl=243 time=206.866 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=10 ttl=243 time=204.512 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=11 ttl=243 time=206.515 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=12 ttl=243 time=205.016 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=13 ttl=243 time=205.336 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=14 ttl=243 time=205.390 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=15 ttl=243 time=205.574 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=16 ttl=243 time=199.513 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=17 ttl=243 time=199.627 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=18 ttl=243 time=199.933 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=19 ttl=243 time=199.879 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.19.104: icmp_seq=20 ttl=243 time=200.559 ms

With regards to your wireless keyboard... is that an Apple one? If it is then it does not use the same wireless system, it uses bluetooth (same as most mobile phones) not WiFi that you connect to your internet system with, so don't worry about that.

It's an Apple one, but the caps lock key light doesn't work on it so I was going to swap back to the standard keyboard anyway. The caps key thing is another thing I have to resolve, I rely on that key light a lot in my line of work.

Try using Firefox instead of Safari to browse the web.

I used Firefox on my windows pc and was happy with it but I don't know if that will fix it?

According to the airport indicator in the menu bar I never lost my connection to the router, and I know that the connection to the net has not been dropped.

My airport indicator is always at 3 bars or so. When I use Mail and try and send a largish email then under 'mail activity' 'outgoing message' the speed drops from 60 something to 18 to 13 to 5 to zero in less than five seconds, so my mail simply doesn't get sent. Frustrating, again.

i ended up changing my wireless network channel from 10 to 7 and it's worked fine ever since.

How do I change the channel??

Wireless when you don't "have to" is just an unnecessary burden. As wireless is a contended layer 2 broadcast domain (non switched) having more devices connected to the wireless than is absolutely necessary reduces the performance for everyone of the connected devices. I would recommend if your iMac is in the same room as the router to connect a CAT5 cable between the iMac and the Router.

Yeah well the whole point of wireless to me is that it gives me that minimalist look AND I have a one-year-old boy rampaging around the house so it is also a matter of safety. I will probably have to use an ethernet cable by the sounds of it, but I still believe that I should be able to use wireless, it's what I paid for, it should work. Just my opinion.

Thanks again everyone.

Lutze
3rd October 2008, 04:48 PM
In the time that you ran that thing in terminal were you unable to access the internet via a browser?

To change the channel you need to log into the wireless router that you are connected to. Depending on the model we can guide you through that. You will need to log into it go to the "Wireless" section (probably) and there will be a list of channels (1 - 11 in most Australian ones I think) Select a different one as the default for most is 11.

I'm using channel 5 at home.

blakat
3rd October 2008, 04:52 PM
it's what I paid for, it should work. Just my opinion.

It does work and will work (when setup correctly) however due to the share nature of the wireless medium it will not work as well as a physical connection. this is a design decision and trade off. for the aesthetic.

dt
3rd October 2008, 05:23 PM
Look, the suggestion that she not use wireless for whatever reason is ridiculous. You don't need to justify using wireless.

In terms of using a different browser or whatever, that is also irrelevant, because this is not at the application level, it's at the OS or maybe even the hardware level.

I have exactly the same symptoms as Els. I have changed my channel to one that is not in use (by checking iStumbler), and the problem remains. This is a problem that Apple will have to fix. I've battled with it for months with every trick in the book, and nothing works. That's just how it is.

Els
3rd October 2008, 05:29 PM
it will not work as well as a physical connection

I know, but I still want the wireless to work. Sorry if I sounded cranky before, it's because I am, not at you, but at this whole thing. I do appreciate the help.

In the time that you ran that thing in terminal were you unable to access the internet via a browser?

I didn't check, sorry. I'll run it again and check, but later on tonight as I have to cook dinner and feed two starving children now.

To change the channel you need to log into the wireless router that you are connected to. Depending on the model we can guide you through that. You will need to log into it go to the "Wireless" section (probably) and there will be a list of channels (1 - 11 in most Australian ones I think) Select a different one as the default for most is 11.

Thank you! I will try this later on tonight also.

dotnet
3rd October 2008, 05:33 PM
Out of curiosity, what sort of wireless security are people using that have these kinds of problems?

Cheers
Steffen.

Els
3rd October 2008, 05:54 PM
Steffen, I haven't set up security on our wireless yet, it was one of the things I was going to post a question about but I haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks

iMac
3rd October 2008, 06:32 PM
Yup also having this problem on a Rev A Intel CD iMac.

However, I know that it's not the hardware, it's something with my iMac that has only developed recently.

The wireless network works perfectly with my MacBook (also one of the first models), my dad's 20" alu iMac, and my mum's Windows laptop.

Is this more something to do with the airport card on the iMac or something else?

I am running bog standard WEP security.

Oops, sorry for the thread hijack.

Lutze
3rd October 2008, 06:35 PM
I've tried WEP and WPA and had the same problems.

My iMac is an Alu one running the latest updates.

mdmcholet
3rd October 2008, 08:48 PM
I had problems with a iMac Alu and a belkin router until I changed it from b, g & n to just b & g using WPA security. It worked fine without security tho.

So need to look at your router settings...

Els
3rd October 2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone for being so helpful, it is appreciated!

I will return to this sometime tomorrow, I am tired right now and I need to re-read all this with a clear mind in the morning.

:)

dotnet
4th October 2008, 02:36 AM
I would ave expected this to have a simple answer, but since several people have apparently been struggling with this for a while I'm wondering whether anybody has approached Apple about this. Anyone who buys a new Mac is entitled to telephone support within the first 90 days. Apart from that, does anyone with iMac WiFi probs live within reach of an Apple Store? Maybe if you bang the whole thing on their desk - "doesn't bloody work!" - you'll get a replacement in a plain brown wrapper?

Cheers
Steffen.

Syrecx
4th October 2008, 03:51 AM
wow..now i'm having second thoughts about getting a imac.. -_-.

I had a similar problem, but that was 100% router based. dropped out whenever it felt like it. it was annoying as hell, especially when you need internet for work. Router was Belkin too. I think belkin dont work well with apple comps. Try changing your router to linksys, problem solved! I'm serious. Linksys routers are cheap, easily replaced...give it a go els. Now my whole network at home is all totally wireless. 3 laptops (2 apple lappies) and a mini mac. ;D

dt
4th October 2008, 08:03 AM
I would ave expected this to have a simple answer, but since several people have apparently been struggling with this for a while I'm wondering whether anybody has approached Apple about this.

Yeah. I have. Reset PRAM (useless). Use ethernet (impractical). Bring it to a repairer (can't just lug a 24" iMac around willy nilly).

It's uni holidays soon - I will probably have time to take it somewhere then.

Currawong
4th October 2008, 10:41 AM
Els: Are both the PCs using wireless as well, or are they hooked up via a cable to the internet?

thebookfreak58
4th October 2008, 10:55 AM
I have the exact same issues with my CD MacBook http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/58966-macbook-wireless-dropouts.html

It was fine all year, then it just started randomly in OS X. It's fine in XP (Bootcamp)...