PDA

View Full Version : error when installing itunes 8 on xp

travcollins87
2nd October 2008, 06:15 PM
hi all,

i've tried installing itunes several times and it keeps coming up with an error that reads:

"Service 'Ipod Service' (iPod Service) could not be installed. Please verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system Services."

This comes up just after the installation process 'registers modules' and then moves onto 'installing system services'

I am the only user on this computer and it only has one account accessing it.

I have no idea what this is talking about I was wondering if anyone out there could help me? Either to let me know why its saying this or even how to fix it?

Thanks
Trav

Scooterpig
2nd October 2008, 06:24 PM
Is your Firewall off and do you have Admin privileges?

travcollins87
2nd October 2008, 06:45 PM
the windows firewall is on..should i be turning this off?

im also running CA antivirus..do i need to do anything with that?

and im assuming i have admin privileges. I bought the computer brand new and im hoping i haven't unclicked anything to bar me from having the admin privileges..is there any way to check this?

Scooterpig
2nd October 2008, 06:59 PM
First off just check if you are the Admin per se by going to Control Panel - User Accounts and confirming your username is listed as Computer Administrator. If so then all good and no harm then in turning off your firewall, I never have my XP one one, terrible part of XP.

If still no luck you can try disabling your anti-virus temporary, but I think you should be right if admin & possibly firewall off first.

Lumus
2nd October 2008, 07:04 PM
Most software advised that anti-virus be disabled when installing software. Turn off or disable CA and try again.

I'm assuming that you're running Vista being a new PC running Windows. Open up your control panel and check under Users. It should show you what type of account you have. (I don't have Vista running ATM so I'm not sure of the exact name).

travcollins87
2nd October 2008, 07:10 PM
ok so i def am the comp admin..i turned the xp firewall n got the same error msg..then tried turning the CA antivirus off and still got the same msg..any other possible ideas?? or is my itunes rooted??

thanks for ur help btw!

travcollins87
2nd October 2008, 07:11 PM
and lumus..nah im not running vista..still xp..i was just saying that i bought the comp new..so i wouldnt have understood why i wasnt the comp admin if i wasnt..if that make sense..

travcollins87
2nd October 2008, 07:15 PM
ok guys..problem solved..i just found a registry booster and spyeraser running in the taskbar..i didnt even know i had these..turned them off and itunes installed!

Thanks for the help!

Scooterpig
2nd October 2008, 08:06 PM
Well done and it usually is a firewall, anti-virus or something along those lines..:)