PDA

View Full Version : Intel Macbook Not Shutting Down Correctly !!! Help !

macca08
1st October 2008, 10:44 PM
gday,
ive bought my first macbook a couple of months ago and have loved every bit of it. i have had only one problem with it so far which only started to occur about a month into usage (it was fine up till then)..... shutting down !!!

ok so my problem goes something like this, you should be able to press the on/off button and get the message box coming up which gives you options to shutdown, restart, log off, etc however whenever i press my button, nothing happens for about 10-15sec then it suddenly just logs off and goes back to the log on screen !!

the exact same thing happens when i try to shut down from the apple icon in the top left hand side of screen by clicking "Shut Down" from the drop down menu. Ever since the problem started happening i have had to manually log off and then shut down from the log in screen which i am quite sick off. i know i can just hold down the on/off button but this is only a quick fix.... can anyone help me????
cheers,
Chris

sageco
1st October 2008, 10:47 PM
You can also shut down by clicking on the apple symbol at the top right of the menubar and selecting shutdown.

MissionMan
1st October 2008, 10:54 PM
I had a mac app that was causing a failure to shut down. In my case it ended up being "Missing Sync". Are there any apps you installed at about the same time the problem started occuring?

I'd also go into disk utility and repair the disk to see if there are any issues there that are preventing the shutdown.

macuzer
1st October 2008, 11:13 PM
Try running Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) and do a Permissions repair on your Startup volume, the restart and see if it allows you to shut down properly.

Apoptosis
1st October 2008, 11:20 PM
Or do you have your power button set to log you out by default?

macca08
1st October 2008, 11:29 PM
tried disk utility and repaired. no change, still same problem and no im fairly sure i dont have the on/off button set to automatically log off, just to cover all bases how would i check that?? thanks for the replies guys

Apoptosis
1st October 2008, 11:31 PM
Ah, actaully... I don't know... I think I was thinking about windows computers where you specify it :s

macuzer
2nd October 2008, 12:50 AM
OK - try doing a restart or power down fully by holding the power button in for 5secs or so (then turn it back on again after shutdown is complete) and then hold the SHIFT key down as soon as you hear the restart/startup chime. Keep it held down until it comes up with a message about being in Safe mode (it may take a minute or 2 to boot) and then try a shutdown from the Apple menu. If it shuts down correctly then you may have a process that is causing the Finder to restart instead of shutdown, which seems to be what's happening (ie. you're not going to the login screen, but just the Finder going blank and then restarting).

I assume you're running 10.5.5 - Have you installed any odd apps/screensavers/alarm clock etc. that could be messing with the Finder?

macca08
2nd October 2008, 11:09 AM
Did the restart in safe mode and shit down from apple menu, same problem :( i just dont understand! it still just goes back to the login screen and logs me off.. i am running 10.5.5. i will give u a quick list of apps i have installed because i don't know which ones could be suss.

Firefox
aMSN
Microsoft Messenger
Azureus (Torrent App)
iPod Video Converter
iToner
MacTheRipper
Microsoft Office 2004 and 2008

i had downloaded some other apps which i have since deleted because i thought they were the source of the problem and they obviously weren't.

Madone
2nd October 2008, 11:43 AM
Have a look in System Preferences/Accounts

On the left, do you have admin under your Account Name?

Also click on login options, you'll probably have to click the padlock on the bottom left, and then enter a password.
The following should as I describe.

1. Automatic Login - Disabled
2. Login window display - List of Users
3 Only 'show the restart, sleep and shut down buttons', should be shown.

See how you go.

macca08
2nd October 2008, 11:55 AM
Yes i am the admin account and those exact boxes are checked. No change.

However, a bit of progress. I created a guest account and everything works fine in it!
This points to an application being the cause i would assume for my main admin account???? Any other suggestions before i start thinking about deleting all my applications? :)

hiredgoon
2nd October 2008, 11:58 AM
If you bought it a couple of months ago, I would suggest calling Apple tech help.

They are superb at their job 98% of the time...

Madone
2nd October 2008, 12:05 PM
Create a new account, admin of course, then reboot, and login in under your current user name, then see if the problem still exists!
If it does, then you have a root level disk permissions/password issue - I'd be doing an Archive and Install then.
It may however be resolved, if so, delete the new account you created, then reboot, and check all works fine.

macca08
2nd October 2008, 12:34 PM
And so the problem thickens. I created a new admin account and checked both my current admin and the new admin for the problem and what do you know they both dont work. The shut down procedure only works for my guest account. "root level disk permissions/password issue" im fairly knowledgable with computers but that sounds plain scary. What should i do now??

Madone
2nd October 2008, 12:40 PM
change the user account you created, to a non admin account, reboot, and if that still doesn't work, do an archive and install!

MissionMan
2nd October 2008, 12:44 PM
Try repairing permissions in the disk utility. If that doesn't work try this:

Hold Command S on boot to go into single user mode and then type /sbin/fsck -fy

Once the disk check is finished, type EXIT to exit out of the "command style prompt" and then it will start up but remember it is not starting in a full system mode, its in single user mode so you'll need to shut down and restart again to go back to normal again.

macca08
2nd October 2008, 12:46 PM
Did that, this time it froze for about 10 sec, came back for 7sec then logged off which was a bit confusing. Can you explain to me what archive and install is???

macca08
2nd October 2008, 12:47 PM

Once the disk check is finished, type EXIT to exit out of the "command style prompt" and then it will start up but remember it is not starting in a full system mode, its in single user mode so you'll need to shut down and restart again to go back to normal again.

Ok i will try that now, thanks

Madone
2nd October 2008, 12:50 PM
Did that, this time it froze for about 10 sec, came back for 7sec then logged off which was a bit confusing. Can you explain to me what archive and install is???

Archive and Install creates a new System folder, and titles the old one 'previous system folder', to perform this, you insert your installation dvd and reboot to the dvd, you'll get some choices, the one you want is to archive and install, and it'll offer to keep your network setting, do so.

It won't delete applications, or personal files, I have only had one problem doing this, and that's when I stupidly had an anti virus program that installed everywhere.

There is heaps of info on Apples Support (http://www.apple.com/support) site to help

macca08
2nd October 2008, 01:00 PM
Archive and Install creates a new System folder, and titles the old one 'previous system folder', to perform this, you insert your installation dvd and reboot to the dvd, you'll get some choices, the one you want is to archive and install, and it'll offer to keep your network setting, do so.

It won't delete applications, or personal files, I have only had one problem doing this, and that's when I stupidly had an anti virus program that installed everywhere.

There is heaps of info on Apples Support (http://www.apple.com/support) site to help

OK, one problem, i never had an installation DVD, my macbook came already loaded and ready to go direct from the local apple shop. I think i am going to take it back and ask them if they can fix it or send it somewhere where it can be fixed it really starting to annoy me :mad:

macca08
2nd October 2008, 01:02 PM

Sounded promising i must say, however no better. After completing the check it said that eveything seemed to be "Ok" grrrr IT IS NOT OK....

still open to suggestions ?

Madone
2nd October 2008, 01:04 PM
OK, one problem, i never had an installation DVD, my macbook came already loaded and ready to go direct from the local apple shop. I think i am going to take it back and ask them if they can fix it or send it somewhere where it can be fixed it really starting to annoy me :mad:

Relax dude, it's almost certainly a software issue, you should have a copy of either an installation dvd or a leopard dvd, if not, ask the store to give you one.

Archive and Install is easy!

MissionMan
2nd October 2008, 01:05 PM
If its a new macbook you bought, you should be able to take it in to a genius bar at one of the apple stores. If not, take it to the apple store and ask them to try solve the problem. I think you also get 3 months telephonic support with new macbook purchases.

macca08
2nd October 2008, 01:10 PM
If its a new macbook you bought, you should be able to take it in to a genius bar at one of the apple stores. If not, take it to the apple store and ask them to try solve the problem. I think you also get 3 months telephonic support with new macbook purchases.

Yeh im fairly sure its been over 3 months since the purchase, i might drop into the genius bar this weekend and see what they have to say :) cheers

harryb2448
2nd October 2008, 01:30 PM
Had this problem this week and fixed by zapping the pram to get computer to boot, ran Repair Disk from Leopard DVD. I suspect the problem was a utility called Applejack which was installed the week before.

macca08
2nd October 2008, 01:31 PM
So if i went and got myself the OS disc and did similar, good chance it could fix my problem yeh?

Huy
2nd October 2008, 01:47 PM

Never?
:confused:

You should have restore discs.

macuzer
2nd October 2008, 02:25 PM
it still just goes back to the login screen and logs me off.. i am running 10.5.5.

I'm trying to work out if it actually throws up the Login screen (and you have to type your password in again etc.) OR if it just goes blank (blue) then the finder loads up again and puts all the menus across the top etc.

Also, do you currently have it set to login automatically as your user, or do you choose a user account and input a password on each startup?

macca08
2nd October 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to work out if it actually throws up the Login screen (and you have to type your password in again etc.) OR if it just goes blank (blue) then the finder loads up again and puts all the menus across the top etc.

Also, do you currently have it set to login automatically as your user, or do you choose a user account and input a password on each startup?

It goes back to the login screen and i have to put in my password again and yeh i currently have to choose an account to login to on startup. It does NOT login automatically

macuzer
2nd October 2008, 04:26 PM
OK... So here's something to try. (not sure if you have multiple users created or not) but anyway...

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> then click the 'Login options' icon on the bottom left.
(It will ask for your password and then unlock)

Then select from the top pull down menu - 'Automatic login' - [SELECT YOUR USERNAME]

Then click the padlock to save your options.

Now when you restart it should boot you in straight away (no login required). Then try a shutdown and see what happens?.....

macca08
2nd October 2008, 04:51 PM
OK... So here's something to try. (not sure if you have multiple users created or not) but anyway...

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> then click the 'Login options' icon on the bottom left.
(It will ask for your password and then unlock)

Then select from the top pull down menu - 'Automatic login' - [SELECT YOUR USERNAME]

Then click the padlock to save your options.

Now when you restart it should boot you in straight away (no login required). Then try a shutdown and see what happens?.....

Done and done. No change, when i try to shut down instead of going back to the login screen like usual it just relogs into the same account due to the automatic login option. I am noticing now however that whenever i try to shut down, it will freeze for about 10sec (give or take) then come back to life and log out!