PDA

View Full Version : How to get Dashboard Widgets to float on the desktop

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 10:58 AM
want to use dashboard widgets outside dashboard ?
have a look at this tip from macosxhints.com

Open the Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES and press Return. Then logout and log back in again. Now debugging mode is activated. To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:
Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).
Begin dragging the widget.
Press F12 again, before letting up on the mouse button.
Drop the widget wherever you want it.
You can do the same thing in reverse to drag the widget back onto the Dashboard. Also of interest: while a widget is frontmost, you can press Command-R to reload it. (This may be necessary if a widget is buggy and gets messed up somehow.) There's even a nifty Core Image-based twirl effect to accompany the reload.

Currawong
1st May 2005, 02:31 PM
If you don't want to log out, stay in the terminal and do this:

ps -ajx | grep Dock

You'll see a line something like this:

currawong 2637 2570 2570 347b368 0 S ?? 0:15.97 /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock -psn_0_786433

This line shows the dock process. You'll also see the processes of each widget that you have running below it. Take note of the first number (which I've hilighted in red), in this case, "2637". Then type in the terminal:

kill -3 2637 (but insert the number that you've noted above, not 2637)

The dock will restart.

Rayd
1st May 2005, 04:13 PM
wow, great hint! great find to the person that found it!

MightyAtom
1st May 2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@May 1 2005, 03:01 PM
If you don't want to log out, stay in the terminal and do this:
Couldn't you just as easily kill the Dock from Activity Monitor?

kit
1st May 2005, 06:11 PM
Or write "killall Dock"?

mdurie
1st May 2005, 07:57 PM
Does this allow you to drag normal windows into the Dashboard?

Rayd
1st May 2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mdurie@May 1 2005, 08:57 PM
no :) just widgets :D

kit
1st May 2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by mdurie@May 1 2005, 07:57 PM
No.

Welcome to AppleTalk Australia!

mdurie
1st May 2005, 08:10 PM

WJMoore
1st May 2005, 09:02 PM
There are a couple of other useful Dashboard tips on macosxhints:

The Weather widget in dashboard is amazingly beautiful. However, one may wish to view all the possible pictures without waiting for snow ;-).

Just push the Option and Command keys while clicking the weather picture, and it will cycle through all possible pictures. The location will change, too, until you get back to the original display... Link (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050421104756687)

The UI of Dashboard widgets would suggest that you have to first click the plus sign in the lower left corner to reveal the Dashboard bar, which in turn will reveal any open widget's close button. However, the quicker way is to simply hold the Option key, and whatever widget you point at will show its close button. Link (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050425041434294)

Also as with other things in the system if you hold Shift some of the animations will go slowly.

Rayd
1st May 2005, 09:24 PM
also you can drag the widget out of the widget dock and place it anywhere on the screen and you get a cool effect if you have core image when it leaves the dock

downsys
6th May 2005, 08:51 PM
Why not just download Amnesty Widget Browser 0.5b (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17922)

mrbrut
11th May 2005, 01:31 PM
I'll try this when I get home, I like Widgets and Dashboard but with a Widget like iSlayer's TV Guide I want this on the Desktop so I can always see it.
Does anyone know if the Widgets on the Desktop stay fixed to the Desktop like they did in Konfabulator or if I click on it by mistake will it move around the desktop?

sikosis
11th May 2005, 03:56 PM
Even if you do get them on the desktop permanently, they won't have opacity/transparency ... unless the person writing the widget has used the opacity css tag and made it accessible :thumbdn:

Rayd
11th May 2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by mrbrut@May 11 2005, 02:31 PM
I'll try this when I get home, I like Widgets and Dashboard but with a Widget like iSlayer's TV Guide I want this on the Desktop so I can always see it.
Does anyone know if the Widgets on the Desktop stay fixed to the Desktop like they did in Konfabulator or if I click on it by mistake will it move around the desktop?
yep you can move it around just like the dashboard... just click and drag.