PDA

View Full Version : How Do U Get Qt7 Hd Footage To Play Smoothly

grorr76
1st May 2005, 10:56 AM
Howdy Ive downloaded some hd stuff from the qt 7 hd gallery and its a tad jumpy is there anyway besides making the players size tiny to get a more smoother run. Im running a g5 powermac 2gb ram 1.8ghz sp . Any setting anything, ideas???

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 10:59 AM
nah theres nothing you can do.
you system isnt bad.it can handle HD but it wont be perfect.
a dual g5 is needed for perfect playback

The Architect.mac
1st May 2005, 11:57 AM
Doesn't sound good for even the latest PowerBooks then hey??

Cheers :ph34r:

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 11:59 AM
nope they will struggle

grorr76
1st May 2005, 12:02 PM
since my first post ive played around and actually fouund if i shut everytthing off bar quicktime, i can get a smooth responce, and make sure yr hd is optimised that also helps, but frankly if ones serious about hd one needs a hd card to take the burden of the processor ,

marc
1st May 2005, 01:08 PM
Damn H.264!

Currawong
1st May 2005, 01:11 PM
A good idea is to run Menu Meters so that you can see in the menu bar the load on your system. Choppy playback could be heavy CPU usage by something else or even RAM being full and the system attempting to page out memory to the HD while playing back at the same time.

grorr76
1st May 2005, 01:18 PM
cheers thats a good tip ill give it a go

geektechnu
1st May 2005, 01:28 PM
Doesn't the system reqs. make QuickTime HD video a bit of a joke?
I know the H.264 codec gives small filesize, but what's the point if you need a top of the line system to watch it?

I'll stick to HD mpeg2 for now thanks. At least it plays back smoothly with barely any CPU hit.
I wonder what the encoding speed would be like?

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 01:59 PM
yeah but thats the point of it.HD by definaition has to be a certain res.
and that means you need a powerfull system.
its not a good example of h.264 because h.264 is scalable.you can see how good it is at HD res and how small it is.but you can compress it down as much as you want for lwoer systems without losing too much quality

marc
1st May 2005, 02:23 PM
You're also forgetting that in 18+ months (or whatever), all new computers will be able to play back H.264 without too much trouble.

grorr76
1st May 2005, 02:34 PM
h264 working fine in full screen on my setup, just the 1080i is troublesome

the_OM
1st May 2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I think it makes video really exciting for the next 18 months to 2 years.
Apple will be at the cutting edge of it, and if they can keep improving on codecs to make file sizes smaller whilst still maintaining quality, well, can anyone say iTunes Movie Store!!! (or iMovie Music store?).

It's gonna be good.