PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Sleep button not working

sakoon
29th September 2008, 03:48 PM
Pressing the 'sleep button' at the top does nothing on my iphone. it was working fine, now it has stopped working

any suggestions what to do

Piratbyran
29th September 2008, 03:49 PM
iPhone 3G or an import?

sakoon
30th September 2008, 11:12 AM
iphone 3G

themessup
30th September 2008, 11:21 AM
Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the home button for around 6 seconds. The iPhone 'should' restart. It might be working then.

sakoon
1st October 2008, 05:35 PM
nothing happened

leon
1st October 2008, 05:38 PM
As your in Sydney, take it to George St. If it is not responding, then it is most likely a hardware issue.

Have you tried a restore from iTunes by any chance, just to rule out a software glitch?

WindowsVista
1st October 2008, 05:39 PM
I had this random thing go wrong the other day. Pulled the phone out of my pocket (it was on in my pocket, just on sleep) and pressed the home button, but nothing happend, so I pushed the sleep button in, but still nothing happend. It was like "dead", it simply would not light up. So I grabbed my other phone (don't ask why I had two on me) and called my iPhone. Guess what? It flashed on telling me there was an incoming call. From there afterwards I have had no issues!
I take it the phone works, just the button doesn't? You can actually use it to make calls etc?
If so, it's faulty(the button)!

Huy
1st October 2008, 05:42 PM
Related to iPhone issues, sometimes I am receiving a call and the caller ID/number comes up etc, but I am unable to 'slide to answer'. It's not my finger - it's clean, not sweaty. No matter how many times I swipe, it just won't respond.

I hang up and it works when I call them back, assuming their number isn't hidden.

xpv43
1st October 2008, 05:47 PM
I had this random thing go wrong the other day. Pulled the phone out of my pocket (it was on in my pocket, just on sleep) and pressed the home button, but nothing happend, so I pushed the sleep button in, but still nothing happend. It was like "dead", it simply would not light up. So I grabbed my other phone (don't ask why I had two on me) and called my iPhone. Guess what? It flashed on telling me there was an incoming call. From there afterwards I have had no issues!
I take it the phone works, just the button doesn't? You can actually use it to make calls etc?
If so, it's faulty(the button)!

I've had exactly the same problem... A number of times... On both my old 2G and my 3G. The only other way to get it responding again is either just a matter of waiting it out (which sometimes works) or plugging it into a computer (which always works).

melbmac
1st October 2008, 05:58 PM
Related to iPhone issues, sometimes I am receiving a call and the caller ID/number comes up etc, but I am unable to 'slide to answer'. It's not my finger - it's clean, not sweaty. No matter how many times I swipe, it just won't respond.

I hang up and it works when I call them back, assuming their number isn't hidden.

I have the same issue with my 2G iPhone.

Rant
1st October 2008, 06:01 PM
I've had this problem with a 3G and the only solution was to Restore the phone with iTunes.

Nothing special - plug it in, click Restore on the iPhone Summary tab.

sakoon
2nd October 2008, 09:54 AM
ok so tell me if these steps are right:
Sync and backup with iTunes
Then restore
If still does not work take to apple store (even though I did not buy it from there)

Im assuming I can get all my data back from my backup later

Domenic
2nd October 2008, 10:06 AM
When that happened to me I just held the home and sleep button for ~ 10 secs until it was forced to shut down. Then I started it up again and everything was hunky dory!

Rant
2nd October 2008, 01:00 PM
I've never been a fan of restoring from backup, since if there was a problem, it may also be IN the backup.

I don't think you get a choice about either backup or the restore-from-backup with iTunes for iPhone.

IF you get the option, have a think about whether there's stuff on the phone you want to keep like
your SMS chats or
emails you've sent that aren't synced (by mobile.me for example)
any app data you've created (games high scores, shopping lists, text files)
that might not be synced by iTunes...

and IF you get the option - start from scratch - create a whole new iPhone.
All your
iPod music/movies
Safari bookmarks
email accounts
calendars
Apps etc
will be loaded fresh (worth all this, just for a clean install).

I had a rough time with an iPhone and iPod Touch duelling with a constantly crashing Vista iTunes last weekend and I can't remember what options applied to which device. I think iPod can go back to scratch, but iPhone always wants backups.

I know the iPhone locked up completely, wouldn't even turn off & it restored just fine, using method previously described.

Probably just confused you even more now. Stick to my previous instructions.