PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi with iMac and iPod touch

Stornowayoutman
29th September 2008, 08:18 AM
Hello there,

I have a query about using my iMac to create a wireless internet connection to use with my iPod touch.

I have a cable-connected internet connection that i use with the iMac (which is fine as it is my desktop machine and I don't have any other computer).

Can I use the inbuilt wireless technology to 'push' that connection to the iPod touch, so that I can use the internet on the iPod as well? Or do I have to have wireless broadband at the point of delivery to the house?

Hope this makes any kind of sense to anyone, look forward to reading your suggestions/pointers/sarcastic laughing comments at the newbie idiot!

Cheers,

Jock out.

GarageFriend
29th September 2008, 08:23 AM
You can set up a wireless connection by going to the little AirPort icon in the menu bar, click that, then in the drop-down menu click 'Create wireless network', or something like that, then follow any instructions and voila, wireless connection.

Mac Ram
29th September 2008, 10:42 AM
but remember if your iMac goes to sleep, you lose that wifi.

Piratbyran
29th September 2008, 10:50 AM
Ignore the above posters, that won't help in the slightest, it wil make a connection but no internet.

In system preferences, go to sharing, and where it says to what, put airport, then tick it to enable.

Stornowayoutman
30th September 2008, 04:49 PM
okay, through a combination of all these suggestions, I have created a network that the iPod touch can see, and join, and which, according to 'sharing' preferences, has an internet connection to share.

So how come, when I open Safari on the iPod, it says 'Safari can't open the page because it is not connected to the internet'...?

Any further clues on this one?

Thanks again for all your help,

Jock out.

LarryH
30th September 2008, 04:51 PM
okay, through a combination of all these suggestions, I have created a network that the iPod touch can see, and join, and which, according to 'sharing' preferences, has an internet connection to share.

So how come, when I open Safari on the iPod, it says 'Safari can't open the page because it is not connected to the internet'...?

Jock out.

Have you tried ticking the "Internet Sharing" tickbox in the Sharing Preferences?

jubilantjeremy
30th September 2008, 04:52 PM

Jock out.

If internet connection sharing is turned on, then it should be good to go.
You may have to reconnect the ipod and wait a few minutes, or even retry the sharing.

Stornowayoutman
30th September 2008, 04:58 PM
You may have to reconnect the ipod ... or even retry the sharing.

What do you mean reconnect the ipod, I'm trying to do this so that I don't have to sit at the iMac! Or do I have to connect it once so it knows?

And, retry the sharing? You mean, take it away, and then set it up again? Or restart? I have already restarted...

Maybe I'll settle for it NOT 'just working'...

Jock out

Mac Ram
30th September 2008, 05:12 PM
Try the following step-by-step guide

1. Open System Preferences
2. Go to 'Sharing'
3. Click on 'Internet Sharing' (leave the box unchecked for now).
4. From 'Share your connection from' choose 'Built-in Ethernet'
5. From 'To computers using' check the 'Airport' box
6. Open 'AirPort Options' (bottom right), name the network.
7. Now, check 'Internet Sharing' box and turn on AirPort. The AirPort sign on the iMac menu should turn into an arrow.

If you've done all of the above and are still not connecting - check your wifi connection on the ipod. What does it say with regards to IP address etc?

jubilantjeremy
30th September 2008, 05:38 PM
By reconnect, I meant disconnect the ipod from your network ('forget network') then connect to the network again.

A number of things have to happen, including handing out addresses and stuff to the ipod. It takes a few seconds and could break if done too fast or in the wrong order.

Stornowayoutman
1st October 2008, 03:01 AM
Thank you all for your attentions and suggestions, but, after an afternoon of banging my head against this, I have spoken to Apple and conceded defeat, based on my current set-up.

Here's their 'why'...

The Airport in-built in my iMac is a 'receiver' ONLY, not a 'transmitter'. It cannot share my ethernet broadband connection by itself, I will need an airport base station or an airport express in order to allow the iPod touch to go wi-fi on my home connection.

Does this seem right? I'm still puzzled by how 'creating an airport network' allows my iMac to be 'found' by the iPod touch, if it (the iMac) is not transmitting...?

Ah well, just gotta keep saving some more pennies for Mr Jobs and his merry band!

thanks again to all for your help,

Jock out.

avolve
1st October 2008, 03:54 AM
i have set up what you are trying with many macs (iBook, Powerbook, iMac as 'transmitters') so do not see why it does not work. I have only used other macs (not an iPod) as the receiver though.

[these networks can be fickle at times though]

Google
5th October 2008, 11:27 AM
I agree, I have used this "transmitting" capability on both my iMac and Macbook, when transmitting on either i can send to the other AND send to my iPod Touch.

I don't see why this wouldn't work, it does take some fiddling around at times, but it does work.

heinzbruno
26th November 2008, 05:06 AM
Try the following step-by-step guide

1. Open System Preferences
2. Go to 'Sharing'
3. Click on 'Internet Sharing' (leave the box unchecked for now).
4. From 'Share your connection from' choose 'Built-in Ethernet'
5. From 'To computers using' check the 'Airport' box
6. Open 'AirPort Options' (bottom right), name the network.
7. Now, check 'Internet Sharing' box and turn on AirPort. The AirPort sign on the iMac menu should turn into an arrow.

If you've done all of the above and are still not connecting - check your wifi connection on the ipod. What does it say with regards to IP address etc?

Thanks Mac Ram, it worked for me instantly ! Just had to follow your kind explanation.
Here a little hint for others:
(of course, your WIFI must be turned on before starting with this setup!)
The klick in the check box on the left pane blocks the right pane, so one has to klick the line only, then edit the right pane, then set up a key or password and return to the left pane, where the line is marked. Only then the box must be klick-checked (by doing so, the right pane is blocked again. That's it, I am very grateful for your help.

Btw. what the apple help desk told the other guy is bull... of course you can use your iMac as a wifi "access point". I immediately went online with my iPod "through" my iMac (which is connected via Fritz box dsl cable router to the internet) as soon as I had set up the WIFI thing.
cheers, heinzbruno

Balthazar
26th November 2008, 05:22 AM
I used to share my network wirelessly through my iMac (early 2006 coreduo white imac) to a bunch or devices including an ipo touch, a macbook, a Wii and an XBox 360 using the above method.

This should work just fine, not sure what this 'receiver' ONLY, not a 'transmitter' nonsense is about.