PDA

View Full Version : changing file names.

jdagis
29th September 2008, 06:35 AM
Is it possible to type in .dat over a .sit file and it will work, and vise versa? Does this work with any file?

markhellewell
29th September 2008, 07:31 AM
A filename is just a filename and won't change the contents of a file!

The extension you give a file might effect which piece of software will open it, but there are far from any guarantees that that piece of software will be able to understand the information held within the renamed file.

jdagis
29th September 2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for that markhellewell,

Huy
29th September 2008, 07:13 PM
Just rename/append the right extension when you want to use it.

.blah
to .sit

kim jong il
29th September 2008, 08:27 PM
Just rename/append the right extension when you want to use it.

.blah
to .sit

Is that meant to be advice? The underlying premise with your suggestion is that the OP is changing file extensions so that a double click will not launch them (the OS will say something like: "Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that BlahPlayer does not recognise"). That would have worked in 10.4.x but 10.5.x is clever enough to know what file type it is regardless of the extension that you append.

Huy
29th September 2008, 08:50 PM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6186/picture1ne7.png

:confused:

Though it still opens with Excel/Numbers (Get Info with "Hide Extension" OFF). So maybe you're right. I've never had to change the file extension for any reason in the past. :p

jdagis
30th September 2008, 06:34 AM
A forum ember suggested I rename a myob .sit file to .dat so that my accountant could open it using windows instead of mac os.
I've done that and emailed it to him to see if it works. When he replies, I'll post the results.

markhellewell
30th September 2008, 07:31 AM
they'll probably have to tell their accountant to rename the file back to .sit and install Stuffit in order to open the archive! Hopefully the contents of the .sit are in a mutually understandable format in the first place!

Huy
30th September 2008, 09:39 AM
A forum ember suggested I rename a myob .sit file to .dat so that my accountant could open it using windows instead of mac os.
I've done that and emailed it to him to see if it works. When he replies, I'll post the results.

That won't work.
Unpack (unstuff) it for him. Then try.
I don't like your chances but see if Mac OS MYOB files work with Windows MYOB.

I don't think they do... but try anyway. Renaming a file from SIT to DAT won't magically make it work/convert it.

jdagis
30th September 2008, 06:37 PM
Here's the thread, there's only a few posts, so makes quick reading: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/58617-myob-windows-mac.html

jdagis
3rd October 2008, 05:10 PM
It didn't work.

Normie
3rd October 2008, 05:28 PM
I send my sons accountant his files by compressing the myob file to zip . You have to compress the data file not the sit file.

jdagis
5th October 2008, 06:43 PM
I've looked and the only place I can see to do this is on the 'Send to myob Accountants office' drop down menu, and the click on the tab called 'disk, and save that as a .zip file instead of an mye file which is initially presented.

Is this the way to go about it?

elnewb
5th October 2008, 07:05 PM
Posting in an epic fail thread.