PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Wont Startup

kenshin08
30th April 2005, 03:33 PM
hello, i also have an ibook and having the same problem like Todd. i did the single user mode and run fsck -fy/ and i got an error like invalid node or something. and then try booting from the os x install cd and was able to do that and i just decided to erase the hard drive and just install a fresh osx on it. when i was updating it, it froze when it was trying to install 10.2 according to the system update and i have to turn it off because it wasnt doing anything. now i cant go to single user mode and cant even run the install cd anymore. any suggestions...please help :(

josh64
30th April 2005, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you might have bad RAM or a dying hard disk. :/

osxuser
30th April 2005, 04:37 PM
try to reset the firmware and boot it in target disk mode and check the hdd. If all that fails reset the logic board

kenshin08
30th April 2005, 09:18 PM
how do i reset the firmware and boot in a target disk mode and also how to reset the logic board? :(

LCGuy
30th April 2005, 10:34 PM
1. To reset firmware:

Power up the machine, and hold down Command (Apple), Option, O and F
Type in:

reset-nvram
reset-all

and restart

2. To boot in target disk mode:

Plug the iBook into another Mac via FireWire
Turn on the iBook while holding down the T key.

hawker
30th April 2005, 10:41 PM
Do you have a Mac OS X hardware test CD?

kenshin08
1st May 2005, 03:07 AM
i do have a hardware test cd...but for the firewire method i think i won be able to do that because i have a dekstop pc, the target disk mode only works with mac to mac right?

LCGuy
1st May 2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah, it only works from Mac to Mac. If you don't have another Mac with FW, chances are, you might have a friend with one who might let you use it for a while, or maybe an AppleCentre might if you ask.