PDA

View Full Version : Tiger With New Macs [merged]

OziMac
30th April 2005, 02:28 PM
I know there's a multitude of Tiger-related topics, but this is one that I don't think has been covered in sufficient detail.

We know that new model Powermacs at the very least will come with Tiger preloaded. In addition, as is evident from the shipping delays, most other new Macs bought directly from Apple will have Tiger preloaded.

My questions are (and I guess I'm asking for insights/opinions as I doubt anyone would really know unless they have bought a Mac in the last couple of days or spoken to a reseller):

- Will new Macs come with (a ) the full retail version of Tiger included in the box; (b ) the Tiger up-to-date pack in the box; or (c ) Tiger already included on the standard grey Mac OS X / Software Restore disks for that Mac?

- Will Tiger come preloaded on Macs that resellers already have in stock (ie haven't been preloaded with Tiger by Apple)? Or will resellers include one of options (a ) or (b ) above?

I bought an iBook after Jaguar's release and received full Jaguar install disks in the box. When I bought a Powerbook after Panther's release, I got up-to-date disks. I'm not sure what to expect with my Powermac - more likely option (c ), but separate disks with option (b ) would be very cool (especially if the software was preloaded on the machine).

Any thoughts?

mvjs
30th April 2005, 02:45 PM
Most likely if it is purchased from an apple reseller, you will just get the install disk slipped in the top of the box, although if it is ordered directly from Apple (online) It may be preinstalled or you may still get a disk seperate. I don't really know about online. Apple will never give you a retail box, if they don't have to, that would be cuting in to their profits :)

EDIT - Spelling

OziMac
30th April 2005, 02:51 PM
Those are my thoughts too Michael - am particularly curious about what Apple does. Will find out on Monday when my Powermac arrives - received my shipping confirmation on Thursday and it was supposed to arrive on Friday but because of the whole Tiger rush they 'forgot' to ship it!

At least I'll have an answer to one of those questions then... :)

waynie
30th April 2005, 03:10 PM
I bought a powerbook yesterday as it happens.. LOL

It came with Panther pre-loaded and the sales rep told me that models with Tiger pre-loaded are "some time away". In the interim, apple are offering an upgrade to Tiger by redemption, with a $14.95 charge to cover postage and handling.

(Although the nice ppl at Next Byte Rundle Mall were nice enough to give me a $15 gift voucher to compensate!).

So I'm guessing that everything will come with Panther and a form for mail-order redemption of Tiger until new stocks arrive with Tiger pre-loaded.

mvjs
30th April 2005, 03:34 PM
Thats pretty much how I thought it would be, execpt I thought they would just include a CD with it on it, so save the burden on Apple having to handle all these Applications (when I say this I mean mail in rebate aps) or is this just another of Steve Jobs fine, profit making plans!

OziMac
30th April 2005, 07:57 PM
Hmm. I would think any Macs coming from Apple directly from now on will come with Tiger (hence the 3-5 day delays earlier). Certainly the new Powermacs will, given that they're listed as such. Interesting that some of the others are not as yet - I'd have thought this would change in the near future, if not already.

However, as you mentioned, I do think the resellers will either include up-to-date disks once they receive them, or come to some other arrangement with customers as they did with you.

Will have to see how this all pans out - personally, I think the up-to-date disks are terrific as you can choose when to upgrade or whether you want to continue using Panther if you ever do a Software Restore. Then again, why would you want to, and the extra disk means an extra hour installing stuff. Anyway, it's all good :)

morgs
30th April 2005, 09:38 PM
I am ordering my PowerBook on Monday morning. I really hope i come with Tiger pre loaded, as I really love the experience of just taking it out of the box, turning it on, and putting my name in.

hawker
30th April 2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by morgs@Apr 30 2005, 09:08 PM
I am ordering my PowerBook on Monday morning. I really hope i come with Tiger pre loaded
If you order from Apple, it probably will. If you buy direct from a Reseller, you'll be stuck with the $14.95 mail in option ;)

morgs
30th April 2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 30 2005, 10:34 PM
If you order from Apple, it probably will. If you buy direct from a Reseller, you'll be stuck with the $14.95 mail in option ;)
I think I will be buying direct from Apple from now on, as many of my friends have decided to start doing too. Basically the retail experience in Brisbane is just too crap for us to bother supporting it. I say bring on Apple's own retail stores with Genius Bars, be great to have that sort of atmosphere in an Apple store. The retail stores are supposed to represent 'instant gratification' but so often they don't, and for even the smallest things. I know this is not always the fault of the store itself, but couple with the poor customer service, it counts.

I used to take many potential switchers into apple shops but now I will just show them the in's and outs of my mac or a friends (depending on what they want) and get them to shop online.

Any ideas why we often get such poor service in these Apple retail shops around Brisbane?

OziMac
30th April 2005, 11:30 PM
Don't forget the 10% off on the nights new OS's are released! ;)

I don't envy resellers - they have a tough, but important role to play. From a consumer perspective, the Apple Stores would certainly be beneficial, but they would be almost fatal to resellers (as the online store certainly hasn't helped). But currently they are pretty crucial as distributors and service providers throughout the country (not just cities).

It's just unfortunate I guess that some resellers don't have enough money to attract the kind of people who would offer that kind of service because of their knowledge and passion for Apple products. But I guess that's why they need some support from us - it's a lot of give and take, I guess ;)

OziMac
2nd May 2005, 08:14 PM
Okay - I have an answer for the record -

New Powermacs come with Tiger on the Software Restore disk ONLY. No separate up-to-date disks. I'd assume that until the specs on Apple's website are changed, all other Macs will come with the up-to-date disks.

Very clever, Apple.

aquila
2nd May 2005, 08:21 PM
Its been over three years since my last computer purchase (with a new pbook on the way) and i'm very hazy about what discs normally come with a computer. Could someone list the discs and whats on each of them. Whats currently running through my head is why is tiger on software restore and not on an installation disc?

OziMac
2nd May 2005, 08:26 PM
It's the Mac OS X Software Restore disks.

You get two Software Restore DVDs (at least in the case of the Powermacs) which will restore your machine to the factory pre-load standard (ie with Mac OS X Tiger, iLife o5 and all other bundled apps).

These are bootable, so in a way they are also 'install disks'. :)

aquila
2nd May 2005, 09:44 PM
Develop tools as well? I assume these are the hardware restricted ones, i.e. if you have a powerbook they will only work on recent powerbooks.

mwot
2nd May 2005, 09:54 PM
My impression after a chat with a reseller today is that anything that the store currently has in stock, will come pre-loaded with Panther. You can then purchase a copy of Tiger for $14.

MacNoob
3rd May 2005, 12:14 AM
I went to Apple.com.au and try place order for iMac, mac mini, ibook and powerbook but none of them come with new OS Tiger.
Does any one know if the Macs now come with Tiger or not. Also the ibooks come with tiger?
Thanks,

[EDIT - OziMac] Merged threads. As you can see, we've discussed this topic already - and the answer seems to be Powermacs - yes, others - not yet :)

neilrobinson
3rd May 2005, 12:26 AM
ALL new machines should come with tiger - unless the reseller has old stock then its a $14.95 upgrade.

foonster
3rd May 2005, 12:49 AM
Hmmm, that's really interesting. In the past, Apple usually takes a day or two at most, to update their online Apple Stores to reflect the latest hardware/software changes. I've just checked the Australian and U.S. websites, and according to them, PowerMacs come with Tiger, PowerBooks, iMacs, iBooks, eMacs, Mac minis come with Panther and iLife '05 (though the Oz site mentions both iLife '04 and '05 for the iBooks' purchase selection page).

You'd think the online store would have the latest stock with Tiger installed. Either the online store hasn't been updated yet or there's still some older stock. They may ship older stock with Tiger installation discs, otherwise you'd have to apply to have a copy of Tiger sent to you for AU$14.95 (I know that seems like a sucky deal, but you can always sell off your Panther installation discs - there are many owners of legacy Mac's who can only upgrade to Panther).

Probably best to ring Apple Australia 133-622 for answers and advice (Mon - Fri , 8am - 6pm).

MightyAtom
3rd May 2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by foonster@May 3 2005, 01:19 AM
Hmmm, that's really interesting. In the past, Apple usually takes a day or two at most, to update their online Apple Stores to reflect the latest hardware/software changes.
Hardware changes yes, OS updates usually takes several weeks to be updated on the online store. They still have inventory with 10.3 on it that will ship if you ordered now, so they can't list 10.4 as a feature on the store. Legally they can't open sealed boxes in the factory to put in 10.4 discs then sell them as new.

It also takes time to develop factory install images, machine specific restore discs, updated documentation and packaging. Considering several line are probably going to be updated in the coming weeks they wouldn't bother doing it now for an obsolete product then do it all again for the new range.