PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Manually set podcast update time.

kyncaid
26th September 2008, 11:49 AM
Like a lot of people, i subscribe to a pile of podcasts, audio and video (more than i could every watch or listen to).

what i want to do is get it to start getting the new podcasts at 2am.

What i do now is get the iMac to wake at 2am launch iTunes and i've set the pods to check every hour when my Off Peak Starts, then sleep at 10am when it finnishes.

This works fine but if it picks up a large video podcast just before 10am it won't sleep untill it has finished , and during that time, more large files could start and over a month could blow out my download limit.

Even if i stay up until 2am with the hourly check on and then switch to daily it goes to like 8:45pm ( i've done this multiple time before and after updates and it will usually auto set to somewhere between 6:30pm and 9:00pm).

All i want is to set the daily check to 2am. Can anyone help a guy out :cmd:¿

obrien
26th September 2008, 12:47 PM
doesn't iTunes do the daily check at the same time as the last check? Do a manual check at 2am and then set iTunes to check every day

kyncaid
26th September 2008, 01:26 PM
No that doesn't work either, I've been wrestling with this on and off for months now.

i think the only fix would be a terminal command or editing a config file

obrien
doesn't iTunes do the daily check at the same time as the last check?

it does most of the time during the day, but not after about 10pm.

james the 2nd
5th October 2008, 11:38 PM
Any update on this?

Struggling with the same issue.

EDIT: Found the solution here:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/9566-change-podcast-update-time-itunes.html#post84540

:thumbup:

Graham
5th October 2008, 11:49 PM
Use AppleScript. Have a look at Macworld | Mac OS X Hints | Update podcasts in iTunes via script (http://www.macworld.com/article/59607/2007/08/itunescasts.html) to create a script and then use one of the many cron utilities to activate it at 2am.

ZacDavies
6th October 2008, 08:12 PM
anyone using any podcast apps besides itunes?

kyncaid
21st September 2009, 08:34 AM
Finally found the answer to this age old question. In this case the answer was Apple Script.

Massive thanx to this guy for solving the iTunes/Podcast problem that never should have been.

Fixing iTunes 8 Podcast Refresh with AppleScript (http://meteorplum.blogspot.com/2008/11/fixing-itunes-8-podcast-refresh-with.html) Still works in Snow Leopard and iTunes 9.

I guess if i'd looked harder i would have found the answer on Saturday, November 1, 2008 when the article was posted.

No one should have to resort to Apple Script to update there podcasts. and staying up till 2am to click a button is insane.

KlaasVisser
21st September 2009, 01:30 PM
... staying up till 2am to click a button is insane.

But remember that in the US, off-peak periods and quota limits are concepts that pretty much don't exist.

The_Hawk
21st September 2009, 03:01 PM
But remember that in the US, off-peak periods and quota limits are concepts that pretty much don't exist.

Sad that we have to worry about things like that, but in reality I have enough quota and manage my downloads enough that I don't care so much about peak and off peak, it's a question of making sure things are available when I want them to be.

So what happens for those of us with laptops that are shutdown overnight? Does the script wake the computer up to complete that task? I would have thought not.

I only have one machine with me now, but assuming it does work, now that iTunes 9 has media sharing I could sign my server up to all the pod casts I want and get my MBP to auto grab them from the server when available... although that still means I have to turn the computer on in the morning, but at least it should be much quicker grabbing podcasts over Wireless N rather than DSL.

What I keep thinking would be good would be a multi headed iPod/iPhone dock that worked with my Apple TV. What I'm thinking is that the Apple TV could then act as a media hub which auto synced all content from all machines along with the backups of the iPhone(s) and all the sync settings. Then it doesn't matter if you plug your iPhone/iPod into the dock or into your computer it will still sync as it should. The media sharing capability of iTunes 9 makes this almost possible, all it needs is the sync settings for multiple accounts to be transferred too. Since Apple TV is on your network and can already grab media, it's really not that much of a stretch.

What this means is you just throw your iPhone onto the dock and it charges and grabs all the podcasts, new music, applications and whatever you have downloaded through iTunes on any of your linked computers and saves it to your iPhone. You various Macs would also grab that information over the WiFi when at home or potentially even link in with Mobile Me (or a simple direct connection back home) to verify things if there is a mismatch.

But back to here and now, since I now have wireless broadband I can grab them on the go, which is handy and all and this is much less of an issue than it was 12 months ago, still the media sharing hub possibilities just make be happy in the pants.