PDA

View Full Version : My Mac Issues

xjc8
25th September 2008, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Well i've recently made the move from PC to Mac, and it now i'm completely regretting it.

Firstly, I had a Sony VAIO with Vista on it for two years now. No issues whatsoever, ran perfectly and did what I wanted it to do.

Now, skip to now and I'm using a Mac I purchased from the Apple Store in Sydney (Black MacBook 2.4ghz 2gb) with 10.5.5. I am completely unhappy with it, and just have a general dirty feeling that I never get to shut down properly or use it without any hassles.

Issues I am getting are:

- Random beachballing
- Random freezing (beachballing included)
- Random slowness
- Unresponsive when forcing an app to quit
- Have to force the mac to turn off as it just beachballs forever

I dont know how to explain the issues i'm experiencing. I have installed OSX from scratch because of these issues, and for the past few days i thought that was it! But now they are back same as before - and I am not doing anything special/weird apart from using it for basic stuff!

The only programs I have installed are:

MSN, Skype, VLC and Transmission. everything else is standard.

I don't know what to do. I am just frustrated to the extreme! I haven't felt like this since the days of Windows 98 where I rarely shutdown my PC due to any number of issues.

I just want a MacBook that does what I want, is reliable and responsive. At the moment it just hangs beachballing and does not let me force quit anything. When I do force quit something it just stays there and keeps beachballing. In the end I just hold the power button and force it to reboot - hence I say never get to shut the thing down.

Any help? I have no idea what to do :(:(:(

Thanks guys.

matthew858
25th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Your issues all seem to be based around the amount of ram and the cpu speed. Do you run these apps all at once? If you do, that may be the problem.

Currawong
25th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Your machine might have bad RAM or a bad HD. Before we get into that though, has Spotlight finished indexing your hard drive?

xjc8
25th September 2008, 09:18 PM
I dont run too many programs at the one time (well nothing i dont think it cant handle), at most I might have Safari, mail, MSN and itunes running, and possibly transmission in the background also - I might add i used to have alot more open on my PC - why would the Mac be different? I have twice as much Ram now (2gb) than what i did on the PC.

How do I know if my HD has finished being indexed?

Mac Ram
25th September 2008, 09:26 PM
Have a look in your activity monitor for a process called mdimport or mds

mestevie
25th September 2008, 09:28 PM
You are lucky enough to live near the Sydney Apple Store - just take it in and get a Genius to diagnoese/fix it or replace it..thats one of the advantages of apple remember - if you have done a re-install I assume you have a backup, so nothing to fear.

i wouldn't waste time trying to diagnose - just go to a genius and say "fix please!" random stuff happens.

If you don't live near the apple store, then - you have come to the right place!

af3556
25th September 2008, 10:12 PM
If your Macbook is misbehaving all the time, you should count your lucky stars. The next best thing to a machine that is working flawlessly is a machine that is predictably stuffed. It's the "it sometimes ..." that will give you no end of grief. As mestevie said, take it in to the Apple store, show them the problem and get it replaced. If you've had it for a few weeks, they may not want to replace it - you should stress you've had these problems since day one (and if you really want to lay it on, tell them you thought this behaviour was normal for a Mac :-)

macuzer
25th September 2008, 10:30 PM
It sounds like dodgy Ram to me - run a full memory test from the startup DVD, or just take it to the Apple Store for them to test it. I've had the current model Macbook since it was released and haven't had any real crashes at all, apart from the odd app falling over, but not locking up the OS.

It's obviously disappointing to you as your first Mac experience, but if you can get it fixed/replaced I'm sure you won't regret it.

QueenOfSwords
25th September 2008, 10:33 PM
I had those symptoms when my iBook HDD died really early on. New hard drives will do that sometimes, and laptops more often, can't say it's an Apple issue.

This problem might just be a matter of the Genius swapping out your hard disk, about the easiest repair job there is on a MacBook.

kim jong il
25th September 2008, 10:47 PM
... and if you really want to lay it on, tell them you thought this behaviour was normal for a Mac :-)

Was 'not normal' maybe? :)

xjc8
26th September 2008, 09:38 AM
Well it's now at the apple store whilst they run "diagnostics".

Bit sceptical about it tho, what happens if there is "nothing wrong" with it?

We'll just have to wait and see!

ourfoz
26th September 2008, 09:57 AM
Well it's now at the apple store whilst they run "diagnostics".

Out of curiosity, did you show them what it was doing when you dropped it off?

xjc8
26th September 2008, 10:11 AM
Out of curiosity, did you show them what it was doing when you dropped it off?

Its not exactly something that can be replicated on demand. I gave them a few examples of when it has happened (i.e. force quit an application etc).

MissionMan
26th September 2008, 10:17 AM
I had some issues on mine for a while, turned out to be a dodgy app. In my case it was Missing Sync

xjc8
26th September 2008, 10:49 PM
well, the apple store said they would call me when my macbook had been "tested" yet they didnt. so i went in after work and asked for it.

the concierge said there was nothing wrong with it, and couldnt provide me with any advice. So i asked to speak with a genius. The dude came out and was quite helpful/reasonable - and gave me some stuff to go buy.

- Turn airport off and use ethernet for a while
- done use the third party apps i have installed

now he only reccomended the above to see if it narrowed down the problem. also stated that if it still existed they would extend the 14 day period for returns another 14 days (as i only purchased the mac two weeks ago).

So i am still in the same boat - so i spose i will have to wait and see what happens and if there are still the same issues occuring.

On another note, all my settings are reset, and my mac beeps randomly even when i'm not doing anything? Why would the beeping be happening? Just my normal sound for errors etc. Weird.

Mac Ram
26th September 2008, 10:59 PM
my mac beeps randomly even when i'm not doing anything? Why would the beeping be happening? Just my normal sound for errors etc. Weird.

Could it be your mail app doing a sync?

mestevie
26th September 2008, 11:12 PM
well, the apple store said they would call me when my macbook had been "tested" yet they didnt. so i went in after work and asked for it.

the concierge said there was nothing wrong with it, and couldnt provide me with any advice. So i asked to speak with a genius. The dude came out and was quite helpful/reasonable - and gave me some stuff to go buy.

- Turn airport off and use ethernet for a while
- done use the third party apps i have installed

now he only reccomended the above to see if it narrowed down the problem. also stated that if it still existed they would extend the 14 day period for returns another 14 days (as i only purchased the mac two weeks ago).

So i am still in the same boat - so i spose i will have to wait and see what happens and if there are still the same issues occuring.

On another note, all my settings are reset, and my mac beeps randomly even when i'm not doing anything? Why would the beeping be happening? Just my normal sound for errors etc. Weird.

So howsit going?

xjc8
27th September 2008, 10:35 AM
So howsit going?

Well no issues so far. I've gotten rid of transmission, and downloaded uTorrent. We'll see how that goes.

I'll keep my eye on MSN - i'm using the official version, so we'll see if i need to swap out for aMsn or something.

I havent used it much yet, but i'll give it a fair whack today and see if it does anything strange.

mestevie
27th September 2008, 01:17 PM
Well no issues so far. I've gotten rid of transmission, and downloaded uTorrent. We'll see how that goes.

I'll keep my eye on MSN - i'm using the official version, so we'll see if i need to swap out for aMsn or something.

I havent used it much yet, but i'll give it a fair whack today and see if it does anything strange.

Rather than use MSN, try Adium (http://www.adiumx.com/) for the Mac. Much nicer and lets you consolidate IM Clients into one.

xjc8
30th September 2008, 10:35 AM
Well i've had absolutely no issues since I got it back from the Genius.

The only thing is that it seemed like they wiped some settings - but all my files were present (iTunes, iPhoto, bookmarks etc).

So, i'm happy that i've had no probs - but it could have just been transmission which i've removed. I'm actually using the uTorrent beta, so i'm happy that uTorrent crashed itself instead of the whole system like Transmission did.

Thanks for your support guys.

spargo
30th September 2008, 10:59 AM
Well i've had absolutely no issues since I got it back from the Genius.

The only thing is that it seemed like they wiped some settings - but all my files were present (iTunes, iPhoto, bookmarks etc).

So, i'm happy that i've had no probs - but it could have just been transmission which i've removed. I'm actually using the uTorrent beta, so i'm happy that uTorrent crashed itself instead of the whole system like Transmission did.

Thanks for your support guys.

No, thank you - it's good to have people report back to state whether problems have been fixed or if they've continued. Helps others who come across your discussion via a Search and can see what went down from start to finish.

Cheers to you.

bennettnz
30th September 2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah it is good to see peoples problems because no system is infallible (even though we mac lovers pretend otherwise), good to see the result is positive, hope it continues.

drewbles
30th September 2008, 12:18 PM
Rather than use MSN, try Adium (http://www.adiumx.com/) for the Mac. Much nicer and lets you consolidate IM Clients into one.

If you're only using MSN, don't bother with Adium. I actually use aMSN exclusively for MSN and Adium for the others. Adium has far better MSN support, especially for webcam etc.

I'd ditch the official MS MSN though. Nothing but troubles every time i've used it on a mac.

aMSN is a great app. Far better than Adium for MSN :)

xjc8
16th October 2008, 04:25 PM
I did speak too soon. Been having issues since last week non-stop.

System just hangs :( doesnt respond to anything I do unless I hard re-boot.

I took it back to the apple store today and asked for a replacement (and offered to pay the difference for the new model). They are going to look into it for me and do testing overnight.

I hope its not like last time where they came back and said nothing was wrong with it. What am I supposed to do then? I dont want a dodgy laptop, and I dont want to sell a dodgy laptop to someone on ebay and give them the issues I have just because the apple store wont take it back!

I'm at a loss at the moment. I suppose we have to wait and see what they come back with.